This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SA FEL fabrications, scratch builds

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70578
Tractors Owned: 1 69 Cub, 3 1951 SA's and tooling for all 4

SA FEL fabrications, scratch builds

Postby lwhiway » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 am

Well now, since I've found several of the IH 1000 loaders for sale, none worth expecting to work without considerable refurb'ing, I've bit the bullet and have started to fabricate a pair of the loaders at the same time.

Not wanting to overtask the TC hydraulic system on the tractors I'll be adding nose crank driven pumps and dual valves.

This will be a single arm loader for both builds as I prefer the look of this on an SA.

I will start cutting the lower frame rails to length in the morning and by the after noon should have the two sides bent to allow the front hanger nose piece welding in.

It's probably overkill, but I've gone with 1/2"x 6" f/b for the long rails and cross pieces where the pedestal is welded in place on a 1/2" plate across the span.

The upright post and aux tank will be heavy wall 6" sq tubing and all assorted plate for pins, and gussets for things pivots will be out of 1/2" and 3/8" plate as well.

The main boom will see life as 4 or 5" hvy wall sq tubing, but I have not decided for sure, likely 5" will be the one.

As I have all this steel in my shop already, it was an easy decision to build and not buy. I can build for less than $400 in steel, will not have to have a machine shop or such for any of the work including bushings and pins or the bucket build. I will have to buy the knives to fit the bucket, but that I can live with.

There will be an additional mid-span hanger from the lower frame to the engine/trans mount blocks as well for added overall strength of the non-frame tractors.

My intent as an old guy growing older, I want the bucket to do what a wheel barrow will do and then some. I know it will have limitations, I know it will have built in adherence to safety concerns, but the tractors will be of benefit and more functional.

The end result will probably find me selling one of the two once both are finished, fitted and working.

As a welder and machinist in past lives, I'm looking forward to a nice project like this.

Thank goodness my second retirement is coming up in a month or so.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Re: SA FEL fabrications, scratch builds

Postby ajhbike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:22 am

Sounds like a great project and fun....because that is why we do this stuff! Can you post progress on the build...some of us hackers might want to do the same

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

I don't see why a front end loader would overtax the Touch-Control pump, or even what overtax might mean. Crank driven pumps are normally installed either to get live power or increase volume on tractors lacking in one or the other.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Keep us updated with this build if you would please. I'm looking forward to it!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:22 am

I don't see why a front end loader would overtax the Touch-Control pump
Extra heat generated with more robust hydraulics and the simple fact that the TC system as is has no good/efficient way to rid itself of heat.

It's not an argument to be had about my adding a nose driven hyd pump and separate system, it's my want and reasons for doing so.

My wish would be to have a quick attach BH as well and that may be something I'll look at, but probably not delve into as it's too easy for me to add a BH attachment to the fork area of my all terrain White 4x4 forklift. Mounting it directly to the front plates that holds the forks, adding out riggers to the same attachment system.

because that is why we do this stuff! Can you post progress on the build
As things progress, I will post dimensions etc for specifics, pump, valves, the complete hyd system and connection specifics.

I do need to check into how this site allows pics to be posted to a thread, whether on-site hosting or if I will have to use off-site hosting. One thing I'm adamant about is when someone posts a set of pics using off-site hosting and then lets his hosting rights out the window, the most important parts of a thread are then lost and mostly worthless.

So, I will update as the builds continue. I feel it is important to allow others the right to build what ever they want and need for their uses and I'm wanting to share what I do, build, make and offer, for FREE.

Keep us updated with this build if you would please. I'm looking forward to it!!
I'm sure not as much as me, but I get your point. :wink:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 am

Jim Becker wrote:I don't see why a front end loader would overtax the Touch-Control pump, or even what overtax might mean. Crank driven pumps are normally installed either to get live power or increase volume on tractors lacking in one or the other.

I agree, I'd go with the TC system too for simplicity and aesthetics. It's not like a lot of heat will be generated in the first place, and it will look so very much better than a pump sticking out the front. It would be easy to stick a couple of pioneer connectors on each hose going to/from the Touch Control and then the loader could be easily removed if need be. Sounds like a nice project.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am

I agree, I'd go with the TC system too for simplicity and aesthetics.
And yet, no one gets a vote.

I'm posting this thread for reasons other than hearing someone else have an opinion about what they think about what I do. If you disagree, don't post. If I'm asking a question, your opinion might count.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 am

lwhiway wrote:

I'm posting this thread for reasons other than hearing someone else have an opinion about what they think about what I do. If you disagree, don't post. If I'm asking a question, your opinion might count.

He was talking to Jim, not you :lol:
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm

I want front pump on mine because it is more gpm and a lot simpler to set up, rather than messin with the steel lines.---On my A there is no hyd, so this mount would give me hyd. for a very nice tractor. thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:
lwhiway wrote:

He was talking to Jim, not you :lol:

escalated.jpg

Correct you are Shane! Rest assured, it is probably best that I keep the rest of my opinions to myself from now on....... :hattip:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 pm

lwhiway wrote:
I don't see why a front end loader would overtax the Touch-Control pump
Extra heat generated with more robust hydraulics and the simple fact that the TC system as is has no good/efficient way to rid itself of heat.

It's not an argument to be had about my adding a nose driven hyd pump and separate system, it's my want and reasons for doing so.

Most people that post on here about their do it yourself projects not only accept comments about the project, but welcome them. I guess when they make mistakes, they would prefer to restrict themselves to new ones and learn from other's experience. It doesn't mean they have to build something the way others want, just that they like to be aware of things others observe.

You are free to do your project any way you want. But if you post something that is incorrect, expect someone to come along and set the record straight.

By the way, most hydraulic systems (at least on machinery) use the hydraulic reservoir as the main component that removes heat. They are sized accordingly. The IH 1000 loader has the reservoir built into the main frame so the entire frame is a heat sink.

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am

Enjoy your forum.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 am

Jim Becker wrote:Most people that post on here about their do it yourself projects not only accept comments about the project, but welcome them.
Concur. Eclectic group, knowledgeable site members, all sorts of backgrounds and experience.

Comments being offered should be considered as opinions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”