This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A governor question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Fibber Mcgee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32011

A governor question

Postby Fibber Mcgee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:17 pm

In going through my "new" A I found that the thrust bearing is gone
The two halves are there but the cage and balls are gone ( I did find part of a cage and 1 ball) but now I am having a time finding a new one. I found one but they want $50 for it . Is this the going rate or does anyone have a source for a more reasonably priced one. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A governor question

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Check with McMaster-Carr. I found the right ID/OD for the Cub there. The three pieces were a little thinner than OEM, but could easily be shimmed to the right thickness.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am

$50 is the going price for the CaseIH part. You've got to remember that we're talking about a 75 year old design (i.e. first A) that's been out of production for 35 years (i.e. last 140). The fact that you can get parts AT ALL is a minor miracle in itself.

The problem with a generic is as Bob states. You get the right ID/OD but not necessarily the right thickness and/or duty cycle. If you don't have the original part to compare to you are just guessing at what thickness the shim needs to be. It can be many annoying remove/reinstall cycles to get the engine to respond correctly.

Fibber Mcgee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32011

Postby Fibber Mcgee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. After reading them I went ahead and bought one off ebay, it was a NOS International part for $40.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”