This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas Tank Dent Removal

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Gas Tank Dent Removal

Postby artc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:40 am

here's a topic i don't remember seeing.

i had a dent in gas tank of the demonstrator cub that was probably 3/4 inch deep and 3 inches in diameter. It's ugly to use that much body filler, so i needed to get it out.
suggestions from a close friend and Fordson collector ranged from cutting the offending dent out - reshaping it - rewelding it back in, to drilling a hole in the bottom to insert a rod to tap out the dent. both good ideas, but kind of intrusive.

this is what we came up with..

first, the gas tank has been in the electrolyte tank, so no danger remained from gas fumes.

we welded a nut onto the gas tank with the mig, then heated to surrounding dent from the outer edges first as i pulled on the attached rod. as the dent pulled out, heat was applied more toward the center. You need to heat the dent nice and red all the way around as you do this.

we left the dent a little negative, so it could be shaped with body filler.

Viola! fast and easy! it took longer to write this than the actual repair. and no holes to fix :!: :!: :D 8)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”