This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pig Roasting Spit

Any other helpful tips you may have.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Pig Roasting Spit

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Pig Roasting Spit

As requested a pictorial tour (abreviated, because I hate this digital stuff) of my hog roasting spit.
The spit is nothing more than an unused fuel oil tank that I rescued for further service.
I cut the tank in two pieces right where it starts to curve toward the top. Welded some hinges on and two chains to hold it open.
I place the charcoal on the sides of the spit which dramatically reduces/eliminates fire flareups.
This door is opened to fuel the fire. I add charcoal every 45 minutes to an hour.
This is a 50 lb. pig on the spit rod ready to put in the spit. I have put a 180 pig (minus the head) on this spit rod. A 180 lb. pig will take a little over 7 hours to cook.
This is the motor and gear reduction. The motor is 1750 RPM and the gear reducer has an output of 6+ RPM. The motor is probably from a washing machine or dryer and the reduction is made by Boston Gear and is from a bowling alley pin spotter.

I didn't buy anything other than the hinges. The rest of the stuff was lying around the farm. This unit is 20 years old and has been relatively trouble free.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I will do my best to answer them.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Miscellaneous Ideas”