This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Any other helpful tips you may have.
PKS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PKS » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks for bringing this back up Eugene. I was looking in the wrong forum for this list. As I begin, I will ask questions along the way.

Don McCombs:

I have ordered my carburetor parts and thanks for your help cleaning it. I will keep you posted.

Paul
Be The Change You Wish To See In The World ---

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

power washing

Postby ellen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Brought my Dads 51 cub home on 7-7-07 (it should be lucky). My DH has changed the oil and filter and I have washed at it. It has a lot of greese and dirt and I am a little worried about how much power washing and regular scrubbing I should do. I dont want to mess anything up. Any suggestions.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Just keep the high pressure spray away from the ignition components.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

True Life Horror Story

Postby drspiff » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:41 pm

I want to emphasize the comments about working through the checklist. Why? I'm working through the front end on my '51 and got to the part about draining the oil in the steering gear. I popped the drain plug loose using the Shade Tree Plug Removal Tool and waited for the old nasty oil to drain into a bucket. And waited and waited.

There was no oil in the steering gear housing. Instead there was 50 year old sludge mixed with a little water. If I had been picking and choosing which things to check, the steering gear would have been low on the list. The steering was not bad, no binding, and after all who would run a tractor and not keep the vital fluids topped up?

Well, I guess that is the point. When I was learning to fly, I was told over and over that you only KNOW the condition of the aircraft if you have checked it yourself. Relying on the best intentions of a crew chief or previous owner is a one way ticket. Admittedly, you are not likely to die if you miss something on your Cub. Although just about everything on a Cub is part of a mission-critical system. So why take the chance of killing your Cub if you overlook an item.

This is not really a rant, rather a statement of how I approach machinery. Your approach may be more casual then mine, and I wish you all the Joy of your Cub.

Rick (an old pilot, not a bold one) Dulas

Andy Oberg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Andy Oberg » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:02 pm

When I drained mine, using the shade tree knowledge, what seemed like a gallon of water and just a little bit of rust colored, used to be oil came out. You never know what's in there till you look.

Andy
1978 Cub #252847
54 blade
C3 mower
http://www.obergandavery.com

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Re: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:43 am

i think ya'll are dead on, a checklist would really help out us new guys. my first cub i brought home, i just focused on getting it started. dry start-up and a trip around the yard ? i'll never know if the blowby out the oil filler was there already, or i caused it. my next cub has been in my shop for a couple months now, going through all the steps to getting it ready for its first start up, ( I WILL PRIME THE OIL PUMP THIS TIME ) thanks to all the help and advice from all of ya'll. sincerly,coppersmythe.......................... :-:-):

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67235
Tractors Owned: '48 IHC

Postby alfreema » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok, I'll admit that I'm the idiot stumped on the very first step. What's a Breather Cup? Is that the black cup at the end of the oil dipstick?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Aaron:

Item #9

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 pm

I think I am a little like Eugene about my skepticism regarding the care previous owner's have taken of their equipment. However I will admit to being REALLY REALLY ANAL about maintenance (old pilot). As an example when I buy a used car or truck I "zero" out all of the critical components and maintenance, inspection and service items by changing all lubricants such as engine, transmission, rear end, transfer case oils, belts, hoses, fluids such as brake, steering, coolant and lubricate, oil and grease all service items, rotate tires, align the front end, etc. Expensive yes but my equipment runs for hundreds of thousands of miles. I create an Excel maintenance sheet for the vehicle and track all of the line items of interest and the ones that have time and/or mileage frequency specifications. When the sheet opens the sheet reads the computer's system date and updates the date dependent cells and then after keying in the current vehicle mileage the mileage dependent cells update. Cell colors change to amber when an item is getting close to being due and to red when and item is due or past due. It is the only way I can keep track and "remember".

So, I am doing a similar "zeroing" out of my Cubs as I get to each (I am doing my first one of three). I believe that if I can keep my stiff joints off the floor, minimize the surprises and number of band-aids and blue language, and keep my Cubs functioning, safe, running, working and in one piece then that is "my self imposed cost of use or of my new hobby". Because hours and time are the initial unit's for the determination of when the component, maintenance, inspection and service item is due I will be installing an hour meter on all of my "new" cub acquisitions as I get to them. All Cubs will have an Excel maintenance sheet tailored to each that will help me keep track of their physical and mechanical health.

OK wake up, take a pill. I am done with my novel. Hey we are trying to work or play in the dirt or snow and be safe and have some fun while at it-right?
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

Return to “Miscellaneous Ideas”