This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Repair A PTO Shifter Guide Plate

Anything pertaining to these components will be found here.
ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

How To Repair A PTO Shifter Guide Plate

Postby ToddW » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:29 pm

At the minicubfest at WisconsinCubman's house, we replaced all the pto components that were giving my tractor issues except for one.
It did not occur to me that the PTO shifter plate could be an issue,so I kept my original plate. Well after driving it and testing it today more extensively, while the pto was engaged, the PTO clutch would every-so-often slip off the splines and make a buzzzzz when it did (yikes) :shock: :shock: .

Mike mentioned I should check the plate, it looked a bit wallowed out in the PTO back hole of the plate. With the tractor off and the trans fill hole open so I could look down there, I worked the pto lever to out and in positions. I also removed the shifter plate to see how much farther back the lever can go (thus moving the clutch on the splines more).
The PTO clutch could travel back onto the splines about 1/8" more WITHOUT jamming the shifter pin on the side of the clutch.
And the shifter plate hole was a bit loose so I got an idea...
I modified the plate with a washer, a sawzall and some brazing.
My efforts have seemed to work GREAT so far when I have now worked the PTO with tractor running..
I took pics of my modification to show what I did.

this photo shows how far back I moved the hole

by moving the hole back about 1/8" it gave me a much better clutch engagement with the splines, and the shifter rod fits perfectly snug in the washer..no more wobble in the hole!
Last edited by ToddW on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Differential, Final Drive, PTO and Brakes”