I decided to tackle a PTO Pilot Bushing tonight. It just so happened that I had an old '51 cub out on the driveway and the back cover was already off. I found my camera and took this pic to get an idea of the access to the back of the trans main shaft. I couldn't believe it, a straight shot at the pilot bushing. I put the tranny in gear so the shaft wouldn't turn. Here's a pic of the inside. Sorry for the bad focus,
I remembered Bigdog talking about using a 7/16"bolt. I found one that had about 1-1/2" of thread on the end, enough to reach all the way in and bottom out once it was through the bushing. This bolt was about 4" long in total. The head of the bolt was 5/8". I used a long 3/8" extension with a 5/8" socket and slowly forced the bolt into the old, worn out bushing. It went hard at first, but then started to screw into the bushing just fine. Once it went all the way into the bushing, I could feel the bolt hit the main shaft, then you could feel the bushing coming out. It only came out so far, then I removed my extension and socket, and grabbed a big pair of channel lock pliers and reached in, grabbed the bolt and pulled it out. Here's a pic of it removed.
I had a new bushing on hand. My fat hands wouldn't reach in and place the new bushing into the hole. Instead of making a driver tool in the lathe, I decided to find something that the regular tinkerer person would have laying around. A 3/8" bolt about 2 1/2" long worked perfect. It slid into the new bushing like it was made for it. I then found a 3/8" nut and screwed it onto the bolt all the way. The nut acted as the driver while tapping the bushing back into the hole, plus I was able to use my extension with a 9/16" socket, this time, that fit the 3/8" bolt. It allowed me to reach in and place the bushing against the hole and gently tap it in. Once it started to go, it went in perfect all the way until the nut bottomed out. This put the bushing right where it needed to be. Here's a pic of the 3/8" bolt and nut acting as a driver.
And a pic of the new bushing. They're not very expensive, under $5.00
Here's the finished results ready for the pto shaft.
This may not work for every cub out there, but it sure worked slick for just grabbing the first cub that happened to be handy.
Hope it works for you.
The BIGDOG knows his stuff
Anything pertaining to these components will be found here.
Moderator: Team Cub
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Team Cub Guide
- Posts: 5428
- Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:24 am
- Zip Code: 43528
- Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54
- Circle of Safety: Y
- Location: OH, Holland
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"
- Similar Topics
- Last post
by Mike in Louisiana
Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 am
Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:24 pm
Fri May 29, 2015 6:52 am
Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 am
Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:40 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests