This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New T/C Filter

Time saving tips to keep your Cub running smooth
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

New T/C Filter

Postby Stanton » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 am

Was having trouble in my 1949's T/C unit, so thought an overhaul was in order. Opened up the unit and found some bad o-rings, but also an old, brittle, cracked fluid filter. After looking how it went together, I got the propane torch out and released the two steel rings at each end.

029.JPG

Then I cleaned up the rings and cut a piece of bronze wire mesh (same stuff I've used to make gasoline filters in my sediment bowls).

031.JPG

032.JPG

There's about a 1/4" to 3/8" overlap in the mesh. The steel rings were reapplied, holding the ends of the mesh, but I needed a wire loosely wrapped around the center portion to keep it in place while soldering.

033.JPG

I used a propane torch at first with acid flux core solder:

But then switched to a Weller soldering gun with a flat soldering tip. The propane torch was too hot making the solder blotchy. The Weller flat tip was a big help smoothing it out.

034.JPG

035.JPG

Then installed.

039.JPG

The filter was about 1/32" too long, so it bent up the mesh a little to get it in, but think that'll keep hydraulic fluid going through the mesh instead of around the end of the filter. :wink:

EDITED April 30, 2013: ADDED WIRE REINFORCING MESH:
Added some galvanized hardware cloth (1/4" squares). Wire wheeled it down to just slightly shorter than the filter's overall length (6-7/16").

001.JPG

Then, wrapped it, rolled it and soldered it in place.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Finished result.

005.JPG

011.JPG

Can you tell which part has been repaired? :lol:

038.JPG

Fired it up and it works just fine (forgot to paint my hydraulic lines and pump,oops).
Last edited by Stanton on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New T/C Filter

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

Here's where I bought the brass wire mesh: http://www.animadesigns-shop.com/Brass- ... p_747.html

Again, I saw a lady use it on craft projects and thought it to be the same wire count as the fuel bowl strainers (which it is close). So I ordered a roll (12"x36" for $10 + S/H). Thought the price was reasonable.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Engine, Clutch, Transmission and Hydraulics”