New T/C Filter UPDATED

Time saving tips to keep your Cub running smooth

Moderators: Stanton, Team Cub

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

New T/C Filter UPDATED

Postby Stanton » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 am

Was having trouble in my 1949's T/C unit, so thought an overhaul was in order. Opened up the unit and found some bad o-rings, but also an old, brittle, cracked fluid filter. After looking how it went together, I got the propane torch out and released the two steel rings at each end.

029.JPG


Then I cleaned up the rings and cut a piece of bronze wire mesh (same stuff I've used to make gasoline filters in my sediment bowls).

031.JPG


032.JPG


There's about a 1/4" to 3/8" overlap in the mesh. The steel rings were reapplied, holding the ends of the mesh, but I needed a wire loosely wrapped around the center portion to keep it in place while soldering.

033.JPG


I used a propane torch at first with acid flux core solder:

Image

But then switched to a Weller soldering gun with a flat soldering tip. The propane torch was too hot making the solder blotchy. The Weller flat tip was a big help smoothing it out.

034.JPG


035.JPG


Then installed.

039.JPG


The filter was about 1/32" too long, so it bent up the mesh a little to get it in, but think that'll keep hydraulic fluid going through the mesh instead of around the end of the filter. :wink:

EDITED April 30, 2013: ADDED WIRE REINFORCING MESH:
Added some galvanized hardware cloth (1/4" squares). Wire wheeled it down to just slightly shorter than the filter's overall length (6-7/16").

001.JPG


Then, wrapped it, rolled it and soldered it in place.

002.JPG


003.JPG


004.JPG


Finished result.

005.JPG


011.JPG


Can you tell which part has been repaired? :lol:

038.JPG


Fired it up and it works just fine (forgot to paint my hydraulic lines and pump,oops).
Last edited by Stanton on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: New T/C Filter

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

Here's where I bought the brass wire mesh: http://www.animadesigns-shop.com/Brass- ... p_747.html

Again, I saw a lady use it on craft projects and thought it to be the same wire count as the fuel bowl strainers (which it is close). So I ordered a roll (12"x36" for $10 + S/H). Thought the price was reasonable.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Engine, Clutch, Transmission and Hydraulics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests