This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Remove A Reluctant Pilot Bushing From The Crankshaft

Time saving tips to keep your Cub running smooth
Kit Sumner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06413
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub w/ fast hitch

How To Remove A Reluctant Pilot Bushing From The Crankshaft

Postby Kit Sumner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:53 pm

The following pictures document my success at extracting my "reluctant" 48 yr. old clutch pilot bushing from its housing. Thank you, Bigdog for all your encouragement.

My tools, clear & simple: 3/4" X 10 tap, 3/4" X 4" bolt (3/4" X 6" bolt w/ 3" of thread would have been a better choice and eliminated the need for a socket used as a spacer.), 12" tap wrench.

The careful chasing of threads in the worn bushing begins. Notice my arched block & wedges to immobilize the fly wheel.

Threads have been chased & thoroughly cleaned (I removed tap several times for more complete chip removal; WD-40 for lubricant)

Bolt threaded in w/ 1/2" drive ratchet and 1 1/8" socket; bolt end bottoms out; bushing begins its forward movement.

Forward progress visible; almost effortless extraction.

More than half way of its 1" of travel.

Almost effortless extraction; absolutely no damage anywhere. Notice 1/4" socket in hole, used as spacer for more thread travel. This would have been unnecessary if a 3/4" X 6" bolt w/ 3" of thread and been available.

Perfect side wall clearance.
Last edited by Dennis on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Saved images for future members
Any job worth doing
is a job worth doing well.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Engine, Clutch, Transmission and Hydraulics”