This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Polarize Your Generator

Batteries, magnetos, distributors, wiring harnesses and more.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

How To Polarize Your Generator

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:28 pm

The question comes up quite often so I thought I'd just take the time to write it up here in the how-to forum for a reference.

Polarization restores the residual magnetism in the cores of the generator armature so that when the generator starts charging it will do so in the proper polarity.

It is usually not necessary to re-polarize unless the generator has been removed and repaired or the regulator has been changed. If this has occured, then re-polarization must be done before starting the tractor. Otherwise, the generator may not charge or it could charge in the reverse direction.

Re-polarizing is relatively easy to do. All that is necessary is to briefly connect the generator armature to the battery hot terminal. The most convenient way to do this is to take a short jumper wire and touch it to the "Batt" and "Gen" terminals on the voltage regulator. At the moment of contact you should see a slight spark. This indicates that the process is completed.

It should be noted that it is the generator that is being polarized, not the regulator.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:18 pm

The residual magnetism that is set by polarizing the generator is in the field poles, not the armature.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm not real up on this electrical magic stuff, but I thought the residual magnetism was in the iron core (armature) of the field windings?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:43 pm

Looks like a semantic difference. Go to this page then look at pages 7 and 8.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%203/Group%2008%20-%20Electrical/index.html
The residual magnetism is in reference number 20 (a pair of them), not reference 40.

Return to “Ignition/Electrical”