This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New from central Texas

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Astrowing
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78932
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1958 Ford 641
1953 Ford Jubilee
2007 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

New from central Texas

Postby Astrowing » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Just bought a 1957 with a Woods 42-C2 belly mower, fast hitch, front blade, sickle mower, and platform carrier. I've been working on changing out the fluids and getting the mower running and I've already mowed about 2 acres. I also have a 2007 Cub Cadet with the 25 hp Kohler engine and 50 inch deck and this Cub has a lot more power. I also grew up with a 73 or so Cub Cadet used on 1 acre we had at the time. I also have a 58 Ford 641 when I need to do something requiring more power and 3 pt hitch. The Cub is sure a quiet running engine.

First problem I had was that I overfilled the transmission and it leaked out the axles. I drained it and refilled with the right amount. It is still leaking some, so don't know what seal(s) might need to be replaced. Also, the transmission is noisy in 1st and reverse. 2nd and 3rd are beautiful. I took off the transmission top plate and the only thing I noticed was that the 1st/reverse shift fork cap screw was loose. Tightening it improved the noise in 1st somewhat, but reverse still doesn't sound good. I got advice to try some 140W gear oil, so I'm going to try that and see if there is some improvement. The fork covers the sliding gear so it is hard to ascertain its condition.

The second issue is that it appears that the 42-C2 mower doesn't have an overrunning clutch on the mower. Did this become standard on the C3 model? How hard is it to drop the mower and install the fast hitch?

3rd issue is that someone hooked up the ammeter backwards, so it is charging when you turn on the headlights, and shows discharge when you start it.

Alan from Texas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: New from central Texas

Postby Barnyard » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 pm

Astrowing wrote: Tightening it improved the noise in 1st somewhat, but reverse still doesn't sound good. I got advice to try some 140W gear oil, so I'm going to try that and see if there is some improvement.

The only thing heavier gear lube will improve is the noise. The problem will still be there. You are just as well off leaving the 80/90 in the trans until you are ready to tackle the problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Alan:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very 1st new to you Cub :big smile:

Bill has given you very good advice on the tranny. Use the correct fluids and when you have a time as Bill said get to the root of the problem.

I would strongly encourage you to follow the links below. We have a lot of great resources available to our members from Owner's Manuals to Parts and Service Manuals as well as .. yup .. Woods Mower Manuals.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 am

Welcome To the forum......
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Tezell