This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New in these parts

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
kamesama980
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 1954 International Cub (Maybe)

New in these parts

Postby kamesama980 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi all, I'm Russell.
Short story: I work for Cummins testing engines on the dyno. I have a thing for cars, motorcycles, computers...anything I can tinker with. When I was little (2-6yrs) we lived on a farm and the tractors and machinery always intrigued me (by the time we left, I was using the riding mower while dad watched)

My wife and I are finishing up buying a house with a big garage and 1.5 acres. While visiting an estate sale this weekend looking for misc. stuff at an estate sale (got a nice Tell City dining set) came across a '54 cub they'd been using to mow since new. Looks like it's in decent shape. Starts and runs well. My first thought driving it was "oh jeez, somethings horribly wrong" from vibrations and light grating noises....then remembered it's a real tractor, not a modern (or even 20 year old) car. Straight cut gears, overbuilt to the gills, made to run forever, not ride like a caddy. Comes with mower deck (they said 60", didn't have a tape measure but looks close), front blade, single row plow, grader box, tire chains, and a few extra parts (looks like some pulleys, 2 mower blade spindles, and some misc brackets and pulleys. All the greased joints are damp like they've been greased recently and no obvious oil, hydro, gear oil leaks. Only problem (obvious to me, used to working on cars)is the steering is just a little loose. My truck's steering box is worse I think. Asking 1800 for it and all the implements.

When sizing lawn implements they say figure what you need and go one size bigger right :mrgreen: Actually I'm thinking useful tool, tinkering, possibly cleaning it up pretty for display as well (in the "ok it's not perfect but I actually USE it" category). Obviously after some looking at prices and doing some thinking, I'm planning on getting it. Any red flags before actually forking over cash for it?

Pics:
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kamesam ... t=3&page=1

EDIT looking at pics, just realized it's a lo-boy
-Russ
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: New in these parts

Postby Rudi » Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Russell:

Hi and G'day to you :!: Well first things first -- that is an International Cub Lo-Boy. Perfect mowing machine. Looks good too. Interesting mod to the rad overflow. Nice mower - looks like 59 or 60 inch mower. Spend a little time reading the info in the links below:

How a New Cub Enthusiast Can Inspect a Cub Purchase

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The Cub has some obvious changes made (seat, lights and radiator overflow tank :? ) but looks in good working shape. The fast hitch is a big plus, especially on a LoBoy.. with the plow. The asking price is very reasonable with all the goodies that goes along with it as long as something major mechanical isn't lurking. This should help you better evaluate it:

http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q10

You are close to the upcoming Barnyard Bash, a great CubFest to attend, meet folks and learn a bunch about Cubs, If you get the LoBoy, bring it and there will be lots of people to help you go through it.

Good Luck,
David

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 pm

FYI, it is a LoBoy version of the Farmall Cub...some differences, such as .... it is LOWER than a regular Cub! The rear "finals" are turned 90 degrees and the front spindles are shorter. It has a Fasthitch assembly which is really nice (and fairly valuable), so I hope there are some Fasthitch implements. (they are fairly pricey to buy)

Sounds like a good deal. Here is an article from the How TO section: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=48032 regarding checking out a potential purchase, which might help you. Good luck, and try to go to one of the CubFests in your area...some great guys there!
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=48032

Shhesh! I type too slowly!!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun May 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Russ,

$1800 for the Lo-Boy and all those implements sounds reasonable to me. As Rudi noted the rad overflow is cobbled up. The outer skids on each side of the mower are gone. Air cleaner needs to be addressed since they have been running it without it being hooked up. Appears to be a late '54/early '55 with "No Holes Hood," more info here http://www.savethecub.com/ (scroll down to 55 Hood for details). Has a Fast Hitch which many (myself included) feel is a plus.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Russell, as you mentioned in your post, it is a Loboy. There is nothing wrong with them as they will mow you grass just fine. They are great for pushing snow as well. Check your serial number and verify the year. Loboys first came out in 1955.

As David mentioned, you are very close (about 75 Miles) to the Barnyard Bash coming up May 31 and June 1. Even if you pass on the Cub you may want to attend and learn more about Cubs and their abilities. We'd be glad to have you and the family. See more here www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 am

Welcome to the forum, and since you like to tinker around with things, you've found the right item. The cub will mow, plow snow, and plow dirt, plus is a great item to mess with. Enjoy the forum, it is also a fun place to spend a little time. Great folks, meet as many as you can.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

kamesama980
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kamesama980 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am

Yes, tinkering with things and collecting projects I'm very good at hence the stable I already have: Toyota '90 Cressida (5 speed swap, supra LSD, lowered, warmed up engine that needs more work) and '91 Pickup, '94 Pontiac Firebird, '90 Suzuki VX800 bike, '77 suzuki GS400 and GT185 (both of which at the point of needing more than they're worth being the small engines). Now I have the garage space to work on/finish after almost 4 years of first an apartment and now a house with no garage.

Glad to hear the positive responses. Yes, obviously this one's been repaired a few times with non-standard parts (or lack of any. like the air cleaner) to say the least.

I also found one of the guys where I work who's into tractors has 2 non lo-boys and various implements. we chatted about them for a bit this morning, he basically said the same as you guys: if it runs and is in the condition it looks like with the implements it has...sounds like a good deal.
-Russ

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum and lots of fun ahead.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am

Russel, Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a good deal to me also.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 am

kamesama980 wrote:I also found one of the guys where I work who's into tractors has 2 non lo-boys and various implements.

I'll mention it now since it is likely to come up later. If you and he have any ideas of swapping or borrowing implements back and forth, it isn't likely to work. Very few implements cam be moved between a standard Cub and a Lo-Boy. If he also has a Fast-Hitch, your chances are slightly improved.

kamesama980
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kamesama980 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

Alas it's not looking got for getting the tractor, sale is pending to the other guy. :censored:
I've been checking out craigslist and ebay in light of that and am now realizing how much of a deal this one is :censored: :censored:

Jim Becker wrote:
kamesama980 wrote:I also found one of the guys where I work who's into tractors has 2 non lo-boys and various implements.

I'll mention it now since it is likely to come up later. If you and he have any ideas of swapping or borrowing implements back and forth, it isn't likely to work. Very few implements cam be moved between a standard Cub and a Lo-Boy. If he also has a Fast-Hitch, your chances are slightly improved.

I saw that in browsing around here. I was more just picking his brain about them in general.
-Russ

Return to “Introduce Yourself”