This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie in NC

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
speedracer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27310

Newbie in NC

Postby speedracer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Hey y'all,

In February I bought a 1949 Super A in reasonably good condition at a nearby auction, it runs well and has a Woods 59 belly mower, it is a working tractor to mostly mow our 2 acre lawn, and maybe some other chores.

After I got it, another neighbor who has a Farmall M, Farmall Lo Boy and John Deere A said his next-door-neighbor had what he thought was a Farmall A that he just wanted to get off his property. It is actually a 1948 Farmall Cub with a belly mower. Some pieces are off of it, but it is all there.

The tractor-collecting neighbor brought his 20 HP Craftsman mower over to tow the Cub (he offered to help, so he can use whatever tractor he wants), and after spinning wheels in the wet grass for awhile, we got the Cub under tow. Probably looked funny with the lawn tractor dragging the Cub up the street. I steered the Cub.

The owner had it for about 15 years, thought the engine block was cracked so he removed the head, then found out that it just needed a head gasket. He never got around to putting on the head gasket, or even the head for that matter, so the engine was open to the elements. The gas tank/hood was removed also, so this poor engine had no protection.

Already found and bought a Cub engine for $ 200.

Looking at the lower radiator hose, I expected to see it connect to the radiator, and was surprised to find it connected to the block below the radiator (bolster?). In the front of this block/bolster, where the hand crank hole is located, there are cracks on the horizontal surface just below the radiator. Then I said "uh oh, this is part of the cooling system...not good". It looks like someone had attempted a weld here at some point in history.

Is my assumption correct that the bolster (also part of the steering?) will need to be replaced?

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Newbie in NC

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm

G'day and congrats :applause: on the deal/steal you got on that '48 Cub :!: Free and help to haul it home is about the best deal you can get. Then to get an engine for $200.00 well you is doing real well. Yup, you are right, probably going to need a front bolster. Pretty common area to find cracked and welded.

Suggest you follow the links below as there are lots of resources for our members from the Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals to How To Fix that and lots of other great stuff.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Welcome to the forum speedracer. I'm just north of Charlotte and looks like you are north of Greensboro. Another new guy, southernthunder is down south near the beach.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you with us!

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.
"I ain't believing this!"

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Speedracer!

The crack you have found in the bolster (lower radiator tank) is a very common find. It's likely been frozen at one time. Many have been welded in that area and if done well, can be a satisfactoy repair. The preferred solution, however, is to replace the casting. If you post an ad in the wanted section, here on the forum, a member may have a good one for you. You're changing the engine anyway, so it's a great time to swap it out.

speedracer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby speedracer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks to all for a warm welcome! I have located a bolster from a slightly later year Cub, need to confirm its the same.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 pm

it is the same as long as it came from a cub. Come on up next weekend to my cub fest and you may be able to get all the info and or parts that you need
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:59 pm

speedracer, Welcome from down here in Louisiana
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

speedracer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby speedracer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks to all for the greetings. Boss Hog, I did make it up to your CubFest on Friday about noon, it was a quick visit, my main reason for being there was to look at (and then purchase) a bolster from TST from NY. My daughter was with me, we had a quick look around and got pics of her with the Cub Demonstrator that she liked. We also liked the LoBoy. Sorry we couldn't stick around.

A compliment to TST, the bolster was in the exact condition he stated here on the forum. Also got to see some of his other products such as the tie rods and decals. Enjoyed meeting him.

I have a bunch of other projects taking precedent over the Cub restoration, but will sneak some time on it now and then.

- Speedracer

1949 Farmall Super A (working tractor)
1948 Farmall Cub (to be restored)

Various cars, sports car racing car, Hobie Cat 16...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”