This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new cub owner, NE PA

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
samsteady51
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18801

new cub owner, NE PA

Postby samsteady51 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Became a cub owner by being given my dear deceased friend's 1971 IH Cub by his daughter. Hadn't been started in many years, probably 12-15, and so had it hauled to my place and I stood there with a deer in the headlights look...I'm not very mechanical at all, but I'm guessing I'm about to be, the hard way. First, removed and had battery checked - wouldn't take a charge so I replaced it. Now lights work and starter will turn it over, but won't start. OK, drain fuel. Read a post on this forum about draining fuel through the bottom of the carburetor - it worked but was real slow so I put a wire up in carb to see if there was a blockage and now, NO drainage at all. What have I done and is it fixable? I suspect this is the first of many cries for help - I've never worked on machinery but would like to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Sam

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new cub owner, NE PA

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Sam....welcome fellow Pennsylvanian !! :D
You may want to post your question(s) over in the Farmall Cub forum...they will get more exposure.
Enjoy your new Cub !! :{_}:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Welcome to he Forum!!
As Dave mentioned, post your question in the Cub section for greater exposure. I suspect you are gonna have to pull the carb and fuel line and give everything a good cleaning.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:52 am

Welcome, you will find lots of help here to get your cub running. The carb is most likely a small issue, Sitting that long there may be a problem with the points it is all minor stuff. Also you will want to find the information here about how to prime your oil pump before you start the cub. Don't worry there is plenty on informatin here to help you. Also do not be afraid to ask questions, we may even have a member in your area that could give you a hand. If you have the ability post as many pictures as you can as well. Enjoy your cub.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:54 am

:Dito: What Joe said, and welcome to the best Cub website on the planet.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 am

Sam:

G'day and congrats on becoming the keeper of your friends Cub. One of the nice things about them is that just about anyone can learn how to maintain/repair them by reading and then by doing. The second nice thing about Cubs is that we have this community that really helps our fellow members solve their problems.

samsteady51 wrote:I'm not very mechanical at all, but I'm guessing I'm about to be, the hard way

The simplest remedy for this is to read -- such things like the Owner's Manual. I think this one is the closest to your 71 that is I have on the server - International Cub and Cub Lo-boy Tractors Operators Manual 1 014 488 R8 Rev. 6 2-75. This will help you become familiar with your new to you Cub.

The next thing to do would be to check the rest of the resources available to our members which you can find by following the links below.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Now as for your attempt at the carb...

samsteady51 wrote:Read a post on this forum about draining fuel through the bottom of the carburetor - it worked but was real slow so I put a wire up in carb to see if there was a blockage and now, NO drainage at all. What have I done and is it fixable?

Nope, draining the carb through the bottom is not exactly the way it should be done. Sounds like you tried to put a wire up through the weep hole. With luck you didn't do any damage, but to be sure follow the directions in these articles - Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes.

And for this statement:

samsteady51 wrote:I suspect this is the first of many cries for help - I've never worked on machinery but would like to learn. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that is what we are all about. Have no fear, post away. But as was mentioned post your next questions in the main Farmall Cub forum.

Most of all, enjoy playing with your new Cub, it will provide many, many hours of enjoyment as you travel down this road and many years of enjoyment to come.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. Did you drain out all the gas, probably not. I disconnect the line from where it goes into the carb to drain. Then you can check to see the flow from the tank. If not stopped up somewhere it should be a full line flow. May have trash in the carb. Will probably have to take apart and clean it. Ask questions, and show pictures if you can. There are many capable to answer on this site, unfortunately I am not one of them, but they will take care of your questions.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

samsteady51 wrote: OK, drain fuel. Read a post on this forum about draining fuel through the bottom of the carburetor - it worked but was real slow so I put a wire up in carb to see if there was a blockage and now, NO drainage at all.

Sam,
Welcome to the site. Since I haven't seen a reply on this specific piece of your situation, I thought I would add a comment. The float valve in the carburetor was originally all metal. Many replacements have a viton (rubber) tip. If you had the bowl drain open and ran a wire up into it, it would have likely run into the float. Bumping the float up would have bumped the float valve closed. If you have a viton tip, it may have stuck tightly into the float valve seat. If all this is so, fuel flow into the carburetor would be totally cut off. You may have to disassemble the carburetor to free the float valve. While this sounds inconvenient right now, this is not a big problem. Since the tracor has been idle for so long and you are having fuel problems, it is likely that you will end up disassembling, cleaning and putting a rebuild kit in the carburetor anyway. Use a good carb kit (from TM, CaseIh or Steiner). DO NOT follow the temptation to blow air into the carb inlet. You could collapse the float.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Welcome to the group. You'll be good at working on your Cub in no time with the help of the guys here.

Just to add to what Jim said, be careful when you seperate the top from the bottom of the carb. The idle tube in there tends to break off. You don't want to twist the top around. Genly lift the top straight off.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am

My farm is over in Birchardville, so I'm a fellow 18801 zipcoder. Congrats.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Sam, Welcome to the forum

OliverFarmall wrote:My farm is over in Birchardville, so I'm a fellow 18801 zipcoder. Congrats.

Sounds like a Mini Fest in the making.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

samsteady51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby samsteady51 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I've been busy tinkering with the new toy and hadn't got back to this thread until just now. Wow! Lots of support here - thanks for making me feel so welcome. Carb issue resolved on its own, then went the suggested SeaFoam route and it's smoking like a crack addict but I hear that's normal. Sediment bowl outlet leak is current issue but I'll figure it out. Thanks again and if I can figure out how to post pictures (I'm not high-tech my daughters remind me) I'll try to get some up. Good to know I've got help in Birchardville if I need it - hunted near there all my life.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:00 pm

samsteady51 wrote:...if I can figure out how to post pictures...
Sam...The quickest way to post pics is as an attachment to your post.
Go to bottom of your screen "upload attachment";
"Browse" to the pic you want on your computer;
"Add the file";
Position your cursor where you want it in the post and click "Place inline"

"Preview" your post before submitting to see what it will look like.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

samsteady51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby samsteady51 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Rudi, I've tried to access the 1975 manual online but can't seem to get it to appear. Various problems noted with server, none of which make any sense to me. I'll try again in a few days or order a hard copy. Sam

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Congratulations Sam and welcome. How is your oil pressure?
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

Return to “Introduce Yourself”