This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Who's LarryR?

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
LarryR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Who's LarryR?

Postby LarryR » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Hello - my name is Larry and I've posted already and have changed my mind from selling my Cub to giving myself a chance of getting her running and doing what I would call a "working restoration".

Wife and I live in Dighton down in Southeastern Massachusetts on six acres that have pretty much gone back to scrubby woodland. Farming is in the family history on both sides. I do not want to farm, but I do like growing my own vegetables and think it is an important skill to have and hopefully pass along to my own kids - one boy and one girl. 20 and 18. Boy in trade school for HVAC, daughter is pre-vet at URI. My wife teaches science in the local elementary school and I have worked for Ocean Spray Cranberries as an engineer for 26 years.

Bought the '54 (pretty sure) Cub to mow the field that was still clear and plow snow. Influenced by the fact that Dad had one when I was growing up and it was the first vehicle I was ever allowed to start up and drive by myself. Mowed a lot of grass but never plowed too much snow with her. As the field got to be more of a lawn, it became ever easier to deal with. Bought my dad's Simplicity lawn tractor with mower and snowblower and pretty much stopped using the Cub. Got lots that I can do with her, just haven't had the time (see age of kids...). Plus the house itself needed a ton of work and I just about have that down to a half a ton - all interior now, so my attention is fading on that and I'm looking at the land. Only so much sanding, plastering, painting and woodwork one can stand :wink:

But I have the tractor, I can do things with it that I would have to pay somebody else to do if I didn't have it, so why not give it a chance and try and fix her up and see what I can get done now that I have a little time?

Other things I do - music is big in our family, so I'm in a couple of choirs including church choir (we're pretty good) and a brass band. My wife and kids are all involved as well. Love stock car racing at our local track. And my real personal passion is motorcycling - ride a Honda GL1800 GoldWing. If I get as hooked on the Cub as I am on the motorsicle, I'll need serious help! I was thinking of getting a project bike - but I have a perfectly good project sitting right there already.

I doubt I'll ever be doing anything more than getting the tractor functional and maybe a nice coat of paint, but it wasn't too hard to convince myself to keep her and give it a shot! And who knows - as with most diseases I am well aware that it progresses! Implements - the double plow; rear wheel weights; grader blade (probably the highly useful piece in the worst shape); disc harrows that I think were home made or assembled from pieces; a carry platform for the back; 54" Wood's mower deck. There's a pile o' miscelllaneous parts I'm not sure what they are. Straight drawbar and I think I have the other one somewhere with the plows. Must have or the plows would be useless...

Ya'll been great - been searching and reading and learning. That is part of what it is all about and I can already see the real family atmosphere that exists. Looking forward to it and I know where I can find help - I ask lots of questions and am never ashamed to admit my ignorance. Pretty good with tools, LOUSY with electrical stuff. Used to be pretty handy with bodywork, but have not tested those skills in a long time - think we're about to.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Welcome Larry! I don't think you'll regret your decision.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Larry, it's good to know your going to keep her. Post a few pix of the implements your not sure of and somebody here will let you know what you have.

No wait a minute, I think that knocking I hear on your door is Ed and Scotty from Rehoboth coming to vist. They'll tell you what you have.

Welcome again!
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Larry, good to know more about you. You mean the next free time I have coming is in 18+ years?!?! (our kids are 19 & 6 months old) :shock: :lol: :lol:

I know there's at least a couple more motorcycle fans on the forum, so you'll be in good company there, too. Sounds like you've got a real good start on implements to go with the Cub.

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Send me a private message with youraddress,and Barnyard might be right. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:38 pm

Welcome Larry :roll: :wink: 8)

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:25 am

welcome larry! seen your earlier post and i'm glad you decided to keep the cub you want regret it these thing as a hobby and work are so much fun. you have been warned of the harmful side affects of restoring a cub. you start with one and end up with a few more. i currently have 6. one done, a loboy mostly done, a parts / donor tractor, and three others . sick sick sick i tell you, i think the only cure may be a demo cub :wink: have fun and keep us posted....
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

hi larry

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:31 am

I am here in western Ma. about a mile from U Mass Amherst. I would say I am a novice at the major repair stuff but am learning. As you've seen there are a lot of great people on the site who are happy to help. Welcome and good luck.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Glad to hear of your decision. I saw the pics of your tractor. Looks like a fine one. Welcome again and enjoy!!
Trent McPeak

rggiuliani
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54208

Postby rggiuliani » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:53 pm

Welcome from North East WI
Ron Giuliani
48 Cub / and minature too...
83 Cub Cadet 782
2002 Case DX 29
All RED in a Green World

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:05 pm

Larry, welcome to the group, and a fine group it is. You have plenty of folks in your area, seek them out for help, advice and friendship.
Mike Duncan

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:21 pm

Welcome :big smile:

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:19 am

Welcome aboard Larry enjoy that tractor. Lets see, two kids and a wife, thats at least 3 more cubs you have to get, ifn you ever want to ride a cub again, after youg get yours fixed up.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”