This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1958 M274

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
1958 M274
10+ Years
10+ Years

1958 M274

Postby 1958 M274 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Well, I recently made a few posts for the first time in a while and got a couple questions so I thought this would be an appropriate place to answer them...

First off, I'm Joe. I'm 19 and live in GA, North of Atlanta. I own an early 1958 cub (built like a '57) that I've had for a little under two years. It's a work in progress. I visit this web site frequently, but don't post much. The two main reasons for that being that I don't usually have many questions and when I read someone else's question I almost always find that several others have already answered it! It's amazing the knowledge that is continually shared here!

Does M274 mean that you are into mechanical mules?

Hi dpmacv,
Yes, I collect and restore antique military vehicles. I have two mules and my Dad has one. Great little machines. Here is a picture of my mule that we restored. The other is a project.

Now there is a user ID we haven't seen active in a while! Glad your active..

Hi Rudi,
As indicated above I'm more of a lurker, but still love Cubs!

I hope the parade went well with Ollie the day after the Steam & Tractor Show?

Hi Ron,
Yes, it went well! Here are a couple of pictures. The first is of the whole group that rode in Dad's trucks. It was Oliver North and several members of the local Women Marines Association. The second is of me with Mr. North and some bumper stickers we have. I gave one to him then he thought about it and gave it back. He said his wife would kill him if he took one home!

Thanks,
Joe

1958 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Joe,

Fantastic looking Mule :!: What other antique military vehicles do you and your Dad have? Do you ever get to any of the MV shows up in the Northeast?

I also like your taste in presidential candidates. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Joe, glad to see you finally posting. I have wanted one of those mules ever since I saw the first write ups on them in Popular Science during their early acceptance tests.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Joe, Certianly looks like all went very well! Hope you and your Dad can make it over to my place this fall for the 2nd Stonethrow Cubfest in October. I'll keep you posted.

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:14 am

Hi Joe :D

I like that mule is very cool. I haven't seen one before. But I really like it :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

1958 M274
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1958 M274 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:48 am

Fantastic looking Mule! What other antique military vehicles do you and your Dad have? Do you ever get to any of the MV shows up in the Northeast?

Thanks! No, we have never been to any shows in the NE. I would like to participate in the East Coast Convoy to the big Aberdeen show one year...

Dad's MVs:
M274 (Mechanical Mule)
M151A1 (Vietnam era jeep) with M416 (trailer)
M37B1 with winch (Dodge 3/4 ton truck)
M813A1 with winch (5 ton 6X6 cargo truck)

My MVs:
two M274s (Mechanical Mules)
M422A1 Mighty Mite (early '60s USMC aluminum jeep)
M561 Gama Goat with winch (all aluminum, amphibious, fully articulated, 4 wheel steering, 6X6)
WC-51 3/4 ton Dodge Cargo Truck (This truck has an interesting history. It was built in 1942, went to Europe, and given to the Norwegian government after the war. They owned it for about 50 years then it was brought back to the US in about 1995 or 1996, and has been privately owned since.)

Pictures of some of these can bee seen at:
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?ppuser=58&cat=500

I have wanted one of those mules ever since I saw the first write ups on them in Popular Science during their early acceptance tests.

If you really want one check out this forum:
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=79

Hope you and your Dad can make it over to my place this fall for the 2nd Stonethrow Cubfest in October.

I'm looking forward to it!

I like that mule is very cool. I haven't seen one before. But I really like it!

Mules are great little machines. They are built mostly of aluminum and magnesium and weight around 900 or 950 pounds depending on model. (Interesting note: Mules are rated to carry 1/2 ton. They were the first military vehicles to carry more than their own weight!) The axles are locked front and rear and all but the last model are selectable two or four wheel steering! Check out the above link to the mule forum.
Thanks,

Joe

1958 Farmall Cub

Return to “Introduce Yourself”