This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
todd4food
Zip Code: 35016

Postby todd4food » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:57 pm

Hello everyone. New to the forum, located in North Alabama. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. If you had one piece of advice for someone looking to get their first Cub. What is the one thing to look for? Thanks! Look forward to learning as much as I can.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Member

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum. That's quite a broad range of information to respond to but here's a shot at it. I look for one that I can reasonably expect to bring up to a dependably usable condition within a minimum investment within a range of what I think I can afford to invest. Also you should remember that while a Cub can perform a wide range of tasks with the proper equipment/attachments it is limited to about 9 hp and many of the things that more modern tractors can do with ease are beyond the scope and capability of the Cub to perform. One of the best places to learn about Cubs is to attend a Cubfest. There's one in Bogalousa LA in about 4 weeks. That would be about a 6 or 7 hour trip down I65 and I59 from ARAB, AL and well worth the trip. Just my 2 cents worth. :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

todd4food

Postby todd4food » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:55 pm

Thanks for the advice Stan! I have a large "Big Brand" tractor that I use daily. My main goal is to find one and get it to a reliable state, would be used for planting a small garden, hilling, and possibly cutting if I can locate a C22 sickle mower. I have a feeling it might turn into an addiction and need to find a way to sway the wife into letting me get more than one!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Todd. To answer your question, check out this post. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48032

I agree with Stan abot attending a CubFest. If you go to Bogalusa, you might consider getting a motel room and spending a couple of days there.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:15 pm

Hi,
There are many things you could look at before buying a Cub.
Below is a pic of the area mentioned in the link Bill posted above, a crack can happen in the corner, where the black oil is, near the cooling system hose. One bolt is not there that holds the front end on in the pic.
There are Cub owner's and operator's manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals. It's good to read through one some before buying a Cub, they have pictures of how the Cubs originally looked.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page. :)
Attachments
Cub block 14.jpg
Cub block 14.jpg (51.51 KiB) Viewed 442 times

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:44 am

todd4food wrote:Thanks for the advice Stan! I have a large "Big Brand" tractor that I use daily. My main goal is to find one and get it to a reliable state, would be used for planting a small garden, hilling, and possibly cutting if I can locate a C22 sickle mower. I have a feeling it might turn into an addiction and need to find a way to sway the wife into letting me get more than one!

Cub For Sale is listed occasionally on THE VINE, Classified subforum. You can also post a WANTED TO BUY there, and you are right they are addictive! (Probably because the attachments are not very user friendly to change.) :surrender: Maybe your spouse could be attracted to a LoBoy. It makes a nice mowing tractor and can be fitted with a sickle or finishing mower. Even consider painting it her favorite color!! 8) Here's an example: my 1957 LoBoy with a Bush Hog 412 mower:
57loboy_bushhog412_1.jpg
And another one nicely restored by a forum member.
loboy restored 1957.JPG

Bill's advice is excellent. There will be 3 intense days of hands on "all things, Cub related" and you will see and learn more in that short time than you could in several years of experiences "on your own" time. JMHO :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:30 am

Welcome.

Make a list of tasks you want a tractor to accomplish. Depending on your answers, a Cub may be the tractor.

There are some things about a Cub to know that are detractions. PTO turns in opposite direction to standard PTO. Implements with a standard PTO usually won't work on a Cub. Some implements are hard to find and expensive. In my case, I don't use the Cub for gardening any more because I'm 79 years old, implements are heavy and hard to change.

The engine is not sleeved. Machine work to restore an engine gets expensive.

I own two Cubs. Fun tractors. Easy to work on. Great little mower and trailer tractors. Parts are available from auto parts stores and the local New Holland dealership.

Edit. Brakes are not great, not that good even from the factory.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:44 am

Todd, if you can't make it to Bogalusa in March, you might want to consider the CubFest near Cincinnati in early June. www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

todd4food

Postby todd4food » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Barnyard,

I was actually just talking to my wife with our work schedule I won't be able to make it down to Louisiana but she suggested Ohio! I found a Cub about 3 hours from me, not sure if its ok to post the CL ad to ask opinions? Its nicer than I had been intending my first one to be, I was looking forward to find one in rougher shape to learn the in and outs fixing up.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:34 pm

Todd, post the CL ad in the Vine. That is the forum classified section. that is probably the best place to post it since it is actually still for sale.

I hope you and your wife can make it to our CubFest. We have 60 to 70 folks show up with some traveling ten to twelve hours or more. The wives usually get together and do whatever it is they do.

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:05 pm

todd4foid,

You & your wife should try hard to get to Bill's Barnyard Bash, where you would be introduced to many other crazy cub folks! We really have a good time...the spouses, too! And it's a good opportunity to learn a lot about these tractors with plenty of hands-on time. If you have found your "new-to-you" cub by then, and are having any issues, you could bring it to the Bash & take advantage of the expertise and helpful assistance.

Folks come a long way to gather there... I drive from North Carolina. :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:43 pm

todd4food wrote:Barnyard,

I was actually just talking to my wife with our work schedule I won't be able to make it down to Louisiana but she suggested Ohio! I found a Cub about 3 hours from me, not sure if its ok to post the CL ad to ask opinions? Its nicer than I had been intending my first one to be, I was looking forward to find one in rougher shape to learn the in and outs fixing up.

The Barnyard Bash is a great long weekend. Informative and enjoyable
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

todd4food

Postby todd4food » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 am

I will definitely try to make it! I look forward to meeting everyone and absorbing as much info as I can. Just a little background on myself, I'm almost 40, spent most of my life growing up in Central Florida and Central Alabama. I spent 10 years in the Air Force, after I got out I worked in the Oil and gas field before winding back up in North Alabama in the aerospace industry. I have a small 20 acre farm where I am currently raising Dexter cows and KuneKune pigs. I've been walkin the line on buying a cub for a couple years now and finally am ready to dive in!

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:39 pm

todd4food wrote:I will definitely try to make it! I look forward to meeting everyone and absorbing as much info as I can. Just a little background on myself, I'm almost 40, spent most of my life growing up in Central Florida and Central Alabama. I spent 10 years in the Air Force, after I got out I worked in the Oil and gas field before winding back up in North Alabama in the aerospace industry. I have a small 20 acre farm where I am currently raising Dexter cows and KuneKune pigs. I've been walkin the line on buying a cub for a couple years now and finally am ready to dive in!

Welcome to Farmall Cub!
Thank you for your service.

You can look at a Dexter and know what's there for potential in a couple minutes. Or less.
A pig is going puny ; you can spot it easy.

Not easy to be patient and the Cub you are eyeing is distant...But looking at lots of Cubs will help sort out thier confirmation.
Broken castings are seldom a good thing. (Didn't stop dummy me of course on my first.)
A low compression engine or wonky clutch or throttle quadrant or tie-rod might be a sign of a very tired tractor. Or a mistake in service or replacement part quality or process.
That takes time to get familier with. And buying with the right things wrong that you are willing to tackle needs a little familiarity to start.
Finding things besides what you expected after a purchase/acquisition are another matter.

That all makes starting interest in bidding being based on a decently healthy runner.
Don't be afraid to run a perspective tractor till as warm/hot as it's going to get.
The days temperature and load applied will factor, But a Cub conks out when hot , you likely won't be aware of on a short test drive or a seller running at idle a few minutes. Leaving you to learn why a Cub might conk out when warm /hot after you own it.
No problem if you're not in a hurry or somewhere you don't want to leave the tractor. Or out of your budget of money or time.

A non runner or bad runner , worn out or badly abused tractor isn't worth a premium for a plain Jane.
Get thee familier with a good runner or two or three and that will help you shop for one of your own.

The mention of Cub events by earlier posters is a way to get a crash course.
Get around some healthy critters and get some basics of thier character and confirmation of good healthy ones , you're ahead of the game when shopping after. Tailor a buy to your abilities in restoration and maintenance or whatever your skills and desires fit.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:41 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”