This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

just joined up, got myself a cub

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
getitrunning
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1948 w mower
Farmall Cub 1949
super A w/cultivators
super A w/woods 59
cub low boy 154
cub cadet 1864
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel

just joined up, got myself a cub

Postby getitrunning » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:29 pm

I just joined up here after getting myself a 1949 cub. Its needing some tender loving care, but it does run. got some new parts on the way to fix fuel leak and fix a broken starter switch and replace a brake band. she's got a smoking problem. but does run and drive.
I'm happy like a pig in cool mud on a hot summer day to have found this machine with straight tin that starts and runs with a woods 59 belly mower, touch control unit and front and rear lift brackets for just about the cost of the cheapest riding mower at Walmart. I got a feeling I'll be restoring this thing to parade quality condition and make it last another 70 years, for less than the cost of a half decent zero turn mower that might last 8 or so years here around the farm. the last tractor I rebuilt and restored was a ford 8n and I put a loader on it, that was a dozen years ago.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: just joined up, got myself a cub

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10 weight motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says to also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The owner's manual tell how to change the oils, and what oils to use.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

getitrunning
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1948 w mower
Farmall Cub 1949
super A w/cultivators
super A w/woods 59
cub low boy 154
cub cadet 1864
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel

Postby getitrunning » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:58 am

glen, thanks for all the useful advice, ive had a superA for about 25 years now, restored to parade condition. my first tractor was an IH I-4.
spent 4 years in mechanics school learning to restore engines and machinery and 2 years in welding and metal fab school. seems like a lifetime ago,
I knew there was a reason to hang on to my old Van Norman 944s boring bar. ive still got most of my tools and equipment the only thing I'm missing now since moving 1/2 dozen years ago is a shop with a concrete floor. there is nothing level or flat here in mountains of Tennessee.

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 am

Welcome gitit. I am in the middle of Tennessee. We just got hills over here. But I do have a concrete floor. :D
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”