This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New member

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 am

Check the engine serial number.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_003.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am

Tex74 wrote:I've got a question, my block casting number shows 6*28*C but my Serial number shows 217364. From my understanding my serial number states that I've got myself a 1960 Cub and the gentleman I picked it up from thought it was a '61 but the casting number dictates 1957, how do I know which year it is for sure? Could it be that this engine sat somewhere for 3 years before mating w this tractor or possibly engine swap during the restoration? I'd like to know for certain the year for ordering parts. Thank y'all in advance for the help

You want the very short answer, the short answer, or the long answer?
The very short answer is you should start a new question in a new thread. More people will see it that way.

The short answer is the year doesn't matter when ordering parts. Changes in the way the tractors were built were not saved up for a yearly change, but were effective based on serial numbers. Engine part changes are in the parts catalog based on engine numbers while changes to the rest of the tractor were based on serial numbers.

The long answer is used parts migrate from one tractor to another during repairs or restorations. It isn't unusual for an engine to be put in a different tractor. Nor is it unusual for a front bolster (where the serial tag is) to be moved to another tractor. If your tractor has parts from two different tractors, you can get a good picture of which parts came from where by looking at date codes on various large parts. The main ones where versions matter for replacement parts are the transmission and the final drives. Each of those housings has a date code. They also have part numbers and you can use the numeric suffix of the part number to identify the correct replacement parts. Note that I referred to engine numbers and serial numbers. The engine number is stamped into the left side of the engine block, in a flat boss above the part number and date code. The serial number is stamped into an ID plate attached to the right side of the front bolster. These numbers are not the same. You stated your serial number is 217364. If you in fact found and quoted the engine number, it makes perfect sense to go with your block date code. Engine number 217364 dates to (approximately) August, 1957. If 217364 is the serial number from the plate on the bolster, the tractor was built in December 1960. As such, the tractor would not have reached a dealer before 1961. An original purchaser would have most likely considered it a '61 model.

pst
Zip Code: 83332

Postby pst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:23 pm

I am also brand new hire this is the first attempt to post anything. I have just got a 55 cup I want to repaint and use to pull floats in our hometown parades . But the bit thing is I also got a disk plow and blade with it and the quick hitch so I will be using it on my truck garden
I am from southern Idaho and would like to get to know others who have cub tractors
Pat
Hagerman
Idaho

Tex74
Zip Code: 92254

Postby Tex74 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Jim Becker, you are very knowledgeable and I very much appreciate your response as it cleared up a whole lot for me. I will take to a. We post in the future.

Welcome PST, I'm new myself as you can see above...I'm having lots of fun w my '60 Cub and has already leveled quite a bit around our ranch and will continue to do so.

Tex74

Postby Tex74 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Check the engine serial number.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_003.htm

Thank you Don McCombs, I e got my Engine Serail number as M217364R and will use that for ordering parts in the future.

Tex74

Postby Tex74 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Tex74 wrote:I've got a question, my block casting number shows 6*28*C but my Serial number shows 217364. From my understanding my serial number states that I've got myself a 1960 Cub and the gentleman I picked it up from thought it was a '61 but the casting number dictates 1957, how do I know which year it is for sure? Could it be that this engine sat somewhere for 3 years before mating w this tractor or possibly engine swap during the restoration? I'd like to know for certain the year for ordering parts. Thank y'all in advance for the help

You want the very short answer, the short answer, or the long answer?
The very short answer is you should start a new question in a new thread. More people will see it that way.

The short answer is the year doesn't matter when ordering parts. Changes in the way the tractors were built were not saved up for a yearly change, but were effective based on serial numbers. Engine part changes are in the parts catalog based on engine numbers while changes to the rest of the tractor were based on serial numbers.

The long answer is used parts migrate from one tractor to another during repairs or restorations. It isn't unusual for an engine to be put in a different tractor. Nor is it unusual for a front bolster (where the serial tag is) to be moved to another tractor. If your tractor has parts from two different tractors, you can get a good picture of which parts came from where by looking at date codes on various large parts. The main ones where versions matter for replacement parts are the transmission and the final drives. Each of those housings has a date code. They also have part numbers and you can use the numeric suffix of the part number to identify the correct replacement parts. Note that I referred to engine numbers and serial numbers. The engine number is stamped into the left side of the engine block, in a flat boss above the part number and date code. The serial number is stamped into an ID plate attached to the right side of the front bolster. These numbers are not the same. You stated your serial number is 217364. If you in fact found and quoted the engine number, it makes perfect sense to go with your block date code. Engine number 217364 dates to (approximately) August, 1957. If 217364 is the serial number from the plate on the bolster, the tractor was built in December 1960. As such, the tractor would not have reached a dealer before 1961. An original purchaser would have most likely considered it a '61 model.

Jim, both the serial tag/metal plate on the right side front bolster read 217364 and the engine block right below valve springs cover reads M 217364R.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Tex74 wrote:Jim, both the serial tag/metal plate on the right side front bolster read 217364 and the engine block right below valve springs cover reads M 217364R.

As you can see from my earlier post, something doesn't seem right here. Your engine number should have matched up with a serial number around 202000. Your serial number should have matched up with an engine number around 234400. I'd sure like to see pictures of both numbers. Some other pictures of the tractor would probably help sort it out as well.

Tex74

Postby Tex74 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:41 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Tex74 wrote:Jim, both the serial tag/metal plate on the right side front bolster read 217364 and the engine block right below valve springs cover reads M 217364R.

As you can see from my earlier post, something doesn't seem right here. Your engine number should have matched up with a serial number around 202000. Your serial number should have matched up with an engine number around 234400. I'd sure like to see pictures of both numbers. Some other pictures of the tractor would probably help sort it out as well.

I've tried attaching photos but they are too large

Tex74

Postby Tex74 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 am

Below the 6*28*C is 360719-R1
I also have this number 251341R7 L and this is at the base to the left of oil filler tube.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 am

360719R1 is the part number of the Touch-Control block. 251341R7 is the part number of the engine block. Both those numbers were used for long time so don't tell us much. The date codes narrow things down a lot more. What is the date code on the engine block?

Pictures need a file size below 500K to be able to attach them. You can reduce them with whatever image software you have. If you are posting from a PC, you probably have something that resizes pictures, even if you have never used it. I normally use Paint. If you resize (or crop) to something with the larger dimension in the 500 to 800 pixel range, it will generally be big enough for people to still see details and also be way below the size limit.

Tex74

Postby Tex74 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Jim Becker wrote:360719R1 is the part number of the Touch-Control block. 251341R7 is the part number of the engine block. Both those numbers were used for long time so don't tell us much. The date codes narrow things down a lot more. What is the date code on the engine block?

Pictures need a file size below 500K to be able to attach them. You can reduce them with whatever image software you have. If you are posting from a PC, you probably have something that resizes pictures, even if you have never used it. I normally use Paint. If you resize (or crop) to something with the larger dimension in the 500 to 800 pixel range, it will generally be big enough for people to still see details and also be way below the size limit.

Thank you and I completely understand that without the pics it's hard to tell for sure. I'll work on some pics that fit.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”