This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Float Repair

All fuel related How To’s can be found here
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Carburetor Float Repair

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 am

Was reassembling my '48 carb the other evening. Had snapped off the idle tube when disassembling it months ago, which is too easy to do. So, bought a new 4-48 tap, removed the broken idle tube, re-tapped and installed a new tube. Cut a new gasket. Then noticed the float was bent, like someone had hit it with something. Don't know how this happens while it it inside the carb, but closer inspection also revealed a glob of solder, just off the center seam.

I marked the location of the float hanger/tab (you can see a black mark across it and on the float in the photos). Then, out came the propane torch and within moments I had the thing in three pieces:
032.JPG

First, I bent the carb float body back in shape. I looked for something with the same diameter and found that a wooden dowel used for a clothes hanger rod in a typical closet is almost the same diameter. Use whatever you have to gently bent it back:
033.JPG

034.JPG

There was a glob of solder on the outside when I started, here's the reason:
035.JPG

036.JPG

So, the outside got ground down to prevent excess weight and out came the acid-core solder. Don't use lead-free solder. Getting the two half pieces back together will take patience and persistance. A little light sanding with extra fine sandpaper where the old solder was will help.
038.JPG

It took several tries to fully get it sealed up. One way I found was to submerge the assembled float in a jar of water after I thought I was done soldering the body. Swish it around under water for a moment, then put it back in the vise, and briefly put the propane torch on it. Any holes or leaks will quickly be found because the water inside the float will heat up and the air pressure will force the water to evacuate the space. The little pin-hole shot water out like a geyser! :lol: Finally got it so no leaks where present, then I soldered on the hanger/tab.

I wire wheeled it down to clean up any residue:
040.JPG

After this, I reinstalled it and measured the drop/rise dimensions, making final adjustments. Now, it's ready when I need it this Spring.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carburetor Float Repair

Postby Stanton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm

The pin hole (as you can see from the pictures) appears to have been deliberate; a definite puncture. That would explain how they soldered up the float.

I would recommend that any float, regardless of weight, once installed was subjected to Luker Carl's Cub Carb method of fluid level:
How to Check the Fuel Level in the Carburetor
Adjusting a Carburetor Float
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Fuel”