This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rudi

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rudi

Postby D.Nickerson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Rudi, How did you find out that Harold has one of 3 known left? I said something to my old man about it and he said he knows of 3 that were right around here. One is ours, another one a buddy of ours has(Al), and another one was owned by a guy named Roger. From what the old man said Roger sold it at RPRU for $2000, and it went to Canada.

I asked him if he was positive they were IH's and he said yes, he saw them with his own eyes. If it's not to much trouble Rudi, I'd like to learn what you know of these things. I know they are pretty scarce(mostly due to the environment they were used in, extremely dusty conditions), but there would almost have to be more than 3 or 4 left. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I guess I'm letting you know of possibly a few more that exist. I'd like to know what you do about them.

These others were Allis-Chalmers? Did they look alot like the IH's? Thanks for your time Rudi. Doug
Doug Nickerson,
Hatfield Pa.

'29 Regular..... '37 F-12..... '42 H.....'50 MD.... '51 Cub.....I-4 Schramm..... '36 JD A..... '40 JD A..... '85 JD 1050..... '48 Oliver Row Crop 60..... '49 Oliver Row Crop 77

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 pm

Doug:

Harold was telling me the story a couple years ago... 2004.. right before my bypass.. so some is a little fuzzy. Best I can remember:

They found this Schramm out in the bush. It had been used as a compressor in a Drill Rig setup for drilling core samples out back of Sussex area. It really was a mess. They had to go in with some serious heavy equipment.

It took a couple of years.. but he was searching for parts, manuals, anything he could find. Made a number of trips to the US.. Chicago was one stop if I remember correctly... in search of information and of course parts to bring it back up to snuff.

At the time there were only 2 known to exist with the IH - I-4 Base Unit. As George said, many of these may have been in use with the Railroad.. so you figure the number of large railroads.. both in the US and Canada, and the possiblity of many more being around is there. Likelyhood?? less likely I think.. but these are really quite valuable.

I will try to get hold of Harold for more information.. I was talking to him at the show this past May.. and that is when I found out he had a second Schramm. I will also see if Harold will send me pics to post of both units, and David and I think it was an Allis Chalmers.. similar in appearance for the Schramm section, but not the same aft end at all from what I remember. I am not sure what other base tractors would have been used for the Schramm units.. but it could be interesting... Will keep poking around.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby D.Nickerson » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:49 am

Rudi wrote:Doug:

Harold was telling me the story a couple years ago... 2004.. right before my bypass.. so some is a little fuzzy. Best I can remember:

They found this Schramm out in the bush. It had been used as a compressor in a Drill Rig setup for drilling core samples out back of Sussex area. It really was a mess. They had to go in with some serious heavy equipment.

It took a couple of years.. but he was searching for parts, manuals, anything he could find. Made a number of trips to the US.. Chicago was one stop if I remember correctly... in search of information and of course parts to bring it back up to snuff.

At the time there were only 2 known to exist with the IH - I-4 Base Unit. As George said, many of these may have been in use with the Railroad.. so you figure the number of large railroads.. both in the US and Canada, and the possiblity of many more being around is there. Likelyhood?? less likely I think.. but these are really quite valuable.

I will try to get hold of Harold for more information.. I was talking to him at the show this past May.. and that is when I found out he had a second Schramm. I will also see if Harold will send me pics to post of both units, and David and I think it was an Allis Chalmers.. similar in appearance for the Schramm section, but not the same aft end at all from what I remember. I am not sure what other base tractors would have been used for the Schramm units.. but it could be interesting... Will keep poking around.

Thanks Rudi, that was interesting. Maybe that second Schramm he has is the one my dad is talking about. Yes, that would be good, please let me know of anything else you find out.

What exactly is an I-4. I've never heard of it. Industrial I take it? Thanks for your time. Doug
Doug Nickerson,

Hatfield Pa.

'29 Regular..... '37 F-12..... '42 H.....'50 MD.... '51 Cub.....I-4 Schramm..... '36 JD A..... '40 JD A..... '85 JD 1050..... '48 Oliver Row Crop 60..... '49 Oliver Row Crop 77

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 pm

Douyg:

Yup, an I-4 is the Industrial variant of the W-4 tractor. There are some good pics and interesting history on it in Guy Fay's book.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby D.Nickerson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:15 pm

Rudi wrote:Douyg:

Yup, an I-4 is the Industrial variant of the W-4 tractor. There are some good pics and interesting history on it in Guy Fay's book.

Rudi,

I looked in the Tractor Data book I have by Guy Fay, and I'm puzzled by something. If the I-4 is a 4 cyl, then what engine did they use to get 6 out of it, since 3 are engine and 3 are compressor? Also the I-4 itself seems to be a rare peice. I went into the case IH site, and I can't find a thing on it. Everywhere I looked I couldn't find anything on it. I Googled it and found a few things, but not much.

I'm starting to see where you say they are worth something. Heck, just the I-4 alone is probably worth a good buck. According to Guy Fay's book, there was only 6,426 I-4's made. So that makes me wonder how many Schramm units were made. I think it would be safe to say not very many.

Does your buddy Harold have any web addresses for finding anything out on this thing? This thing is really starting to interest me. I'm planning on dragging it out of the bushes and vines on saturday and get some pictures of it. I know it's fast, and some things are missing off of it, but nothing serious. Doug
Doug Nickerson,

Hatfield Pa.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Doug, the engine is built by Schramm along with many other parts.
Harold's Schramm has been around our area for years, the guy Harold bought it from had had it for some time before Harold bought and restored it. I think there must have been quite a few more than 3 because Harold had been in contact with someone in Pennsylvania who had some parts Schramms there, and I'm quite sure that some were IH based.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby D.Nickerson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:46 am

parts man wrote:Doug, the engine is built by Schramm along with many other parts.
Harold's Schramm has been around our area for years, the guy Harold bought it from had had it for some time before Harold bought and restored it. I think there must have been quite a few more than 3 because Harold had been in contact with someone in Pennsylvania who had some parts Schramms there, and I'm quite sure that some were IH based.

Thanks partsman. So schramm put a decent amount of work into these tractors. Sounds like they did a little more than just bolt on a few parts and call it a Schramm.

You wouldn't happen to know what town in PA had those parts Schramms would you? Thanks for your reply. Doug
Doug Nickerson,

Hatfield Pa.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm not sure where they were, and I don't know how keen Harold will be to reveal that information. LOL
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby D.Nickerson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:07 pm

parts man wrote:I'm not sure where they were, and I don't know how keen Harold will be to reveal that information. LOL

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been doing some research on them and found that Schramm made these things with more than just the I-4. They've made them out of C's, super C's and I forget what else. So Rudi is more right than what I thought. The Schramm I-4's are extremely rare. There is 4 or 5 IH Schramm's just right here in Montgomery county PA, but not all are I-4's. Just 2, Ours and a buddy of ours.

Would begging Harold work :?: LOL :wink:

Doug
Doug Nickerson,

Hatfield Pa.

Jim A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim A » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Hello Doug,

I know this is an older post but I just found it. If you are still looking for information let me know, I have information on Schramm. I would say the one you are talking about is a 125 pneumatractor, which means it will puts out 125 cfm at 100 psi. It could be a 105. I have a 1972 schramm 160 that uses F - 140 rears, I don't know what model tractor that would be in IHC line of tractors. I also have a Schramm "fordair" 60 crawler built in 1948, and a wisconsin V4 that Schramm made in to a compressor.

Good luck,
Jim Arras

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Jim A wrote:Hello Doug,

I know this is an older post but I just found it. If you are still looking for information let me know, I have information on Schramm. I would say the one you are talking about is a 125 pneumatractor, which means it will puts out 125 cfm at 100 psi. It could be a 105. I have a 1972 schramm 160 that uses F - 140 rears, I don't know what model tractor that would be in IHC line of tractors. I also have a Schramm "fordair" 60 crawler built in 1948, and a wisconsin V4 that Schramm made in to a compressor.

Good luck,
Jim Arras

Hey Jim,

It's really good to see your post. Welcome to our forum!
I was trying to find a way to link to your Schramms earlier on this thread but I couldn't find a way to make contact. If I had an up to date show guide I know you'd be listed as a officer of the northwest Ohio Antique Machinery Assn and I could find a web address to contact.

Although your crawler isn't an IH I'm sure it would be of interest. Can you submit pictures? These guys really like to see pictures... especially of nicely completed projects. If you can send any pictures to me I'll be happy to host them and be sure to post them to this thread.

There must be a lot of IH based Schramms but I've never heard of another crawler. I was happy to see yours last summer. It's a very nice restoration and I was happy you found a way to replace the tracks.

As you may recall I was an unsuccessful bidder on the Pneumatractor at Maple Grove. :(

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim A » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:31 pm

Hello George,

I had no idea of this web site until today as I was playing around looking for more Schramms, google searches can be fun when you have time to check all the listings. I have moved up the ladder so to speck, as far as officers at NOAMA, I am now president ( more headaches )but the pay is good :roll: :lol: . OK now on with more important things..Schramms. I am sorry you did not get the Schramm at Maple Grove. Thanks for the great comments about the crawler. There are about dozen or so out there that I have heard about. As you may know it took me about 5 years to restore mine, about 2 1/2 years was working on getting the tracks made. I guess I need to try and figure out how to post pictures here and I will get them up.

Jim Arras

Jim A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim A » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 pm

OK Guys here is a couple of pictures of the Schramm crawler.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18941294@N08/2225254162/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18941294@N ... otostream/

I hope this works!
Jim

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”