1950 Farmall Cub Refresh

Farmall Cub Tractor photo forum. All Cubs, all the time.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
All photos must be your personal photos (no copyrighted material).

FarmallCub.Com forum upload attachment requirements:
Maximum attached file size: 512kb
Maximum dimension: Unlimited (as long as the file is less than 512kb)

Preferred photo attachments are via direct upload in post, and/or the CubFest Photo Server.

Commercial Photo hosting services will work, however, if the image links become broken due to discontinued service or deletion of the images, the posting will be marked for removal.
tractorjunky
Zip Code: 45036
Tractors Owned: 1939 JD L
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1950 Farmall Cub Refresh

Postby tractorjunky » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:30 pm

The last couple weeks I have been working on the wheel rim. I was excited at first. The paint that was on the rim did not look like it was bonded well. So I got some paint stripper and started stripping the paint away which worked quite well. I was able to get most of the rim down to the galvanizing.

wheel rim galvanized.JPG
galvanized rim

Then I got to the part of the rim where the galvanizing is gone and has been replaced by rust.
wheel rim rust.JPG
rim rust

wheel rim galvanized and rust.JPG
galvanized to rust transition

I was hoping to be able to strip the paint and leave the rim original. Now I am not sure what to do as I would like to keep or reproduce the original look of the rim and not use shiny paint. I took a quick look at the other rim and it appears to have a decent amount of rust as well. With the rust being mainly around the valve stem, I wonder if the tires were loaded at one time.

I done a little looking into Cold Galvanizing Compound in a spray can. I am thinking of trying this on the rim and then giving it a coat of Matte Clear Coat to try and reproduce the original sheen of the rim. From what I have read, the galvanizing compound doesn't get very hard so that is where I thought the clear would help.

I need to finish cleaning the rim and try out the compound and see what happens.

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:50 pm

We were able to sneak away into the shop for a few minutes this afternoon. Finally after removing the right final drive 7 months ago, it has been reunited with the rest of the tractor.

Installed right final drive.JPG

Even though I painted the bolts months ago, they still received paint damage during reinstallation. This is why we are painting the hidden or hard to get areas as we go and do a final paint job when completely put back together. My goal is to minimize paint fastener damage.

Now that the final drive is back on, we can work on reinstalling the platform, seat post, wheel and wheel weight.

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:07 pm

The girls and I made a little more progress this weekend. We got the platform bolted back into place, installed the fender and the seat post. We just need to finish cleaning up the rim and we can get the little Cub back on all fours. But not for too long, we need to repeat the process with the left FInal Drive.

girls install bolts rh final.JPG
Installing Fender Bolts

girls tight rh final.JPG
Making sure the bolts are tight

finished rh final with girls.JPG
Two girls proud of their work

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub "Bernie" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:13 pm

I'm very proud of the work your daughters have done!! Oh, and very impressed with your willingness and apparent patience, to include them! We "girls" can do just about anything if exposed to the tasks and HELPED with solutions, including making errors that we can learn from.

No one is BORN knowing how to do these things, male or female...we all rely on teachers!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cubs Photos”