This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

53 Cub project

Farmall Cub Tractor photo forum. All Cubs, all the time.
Forum rules
All photos must be your personal photos (no copyrighted material).

FarmallCub.Com forum upload attachment requirements:
Maximum attached file size: 512kb
Maximum dimension: Unlimited (as long as the file is less than 512kb)

Preferred photo attachments are via direct upload in post, and/or the CubFest Photo Server.

Commercial Photo hosting services will work, however, if the image links become broken due to discontinued service or deletion of the images, the posting will be marked for removal.
Chris53
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05731
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super H

53 Cub project

Postby Chris53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 am

Found a Cub with a sicklebar mower on it recently to cut the fields with (11 acres or so). The paint had already been done but like most old tractors, it needed some minor mechanical work (in this case a PTO rebuild, front axle was cracked, etc.). Most of the routine maintenance showed it to be in reasonably good shape. Being here in VT means snow, so I tracked down a plow which had pretty much rusted in one solid piece. Ground off the bolts, repainted everything, and replaced the hardware. Just in time to miss the snow for the year.

Anyhow, I found out how knowledgeable the people on this web site are so I figured to join in.
Attachments
IMG_0353-2.jpg
IMG_0193-2.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 53 Cub project

Postby T-Mo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 am

Nice looking tractor. Question, is there a reason why the rear wheel weights are on inside out? I don't think I've seen them installed like this before.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:55 am

the weights are not inside out, they are bolted to the wheel centers so they fit the contour of the centers, the centers can be flipped in or out to change wheel spacing

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:39 am

tst wrote:the weights are not inside out, they are bolted to the wheel centers so they fit the contour of the centers, the centers can be flipped in or out to change wheel spacing

Thanks. Learned something new today, yet again. :thanx:

Chris53
5+ Years
5+ Years
1953 Super H

Postby Chris53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 am

That's right; the rear wheels are dished out for a wider track. Plus, the adjustable front axle is set to match. Some of my fields are a little uneven as they slope down to the creek so the additional stability is nice. Still...I had one heart-stopping moment when I almost went over.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 am

Chris53 wrote:That's right; the rear wheels are dished out for a wider track. Plus, the adjustable front axle is set to match. Some of my fields are a little uneven as they slope down to the creek so the additional stability is nice. Still...I had one heart-stopping moment when I almost went over.

That wouldn't have been a pleasant experience. Unfortunately I don't think my '47 has the adjustable front axle, but I will try to avoid any slopes when I'm using it. At least, that's the plan. :?

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 am

T-Mo wrote:
Chris53 wrote:That's right; the rear wheels are dished out for a wider track. Plus, the adjustable front axle is set to match. Some of my fields are a little uneven as they slope down to the creek so the additional stability is nice. Still...I had one heart-stopping moment when I almost went over.

That wouldn't have been a pleasant experience. Unfortunately I don't think my '47 has the adjustable front axle, but I will try to avoid any slopes when I'm using it. At least, that's the plan. :?

If you do have to run a side slope, make sure the right side of the tractor is on the downhill side. The left rear wheel carries 30-40% more weight than the right rear (with an operator on the seat). The rear wheel spacing is more important than the front wheel spacing for stability. The wider the rear wheels are spaced, the less likely you will lift one of them off the ground. The front wheel spacing will only help once the tractor has begun to flip (and may stop you from flipping all the way once the axle hits full pivot).
Jim

Circle of Safety

Chris53
5+ Years
5+ Years
1953 Super H

Postby Chris53 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 am

Good to know, Urbish. Makes sense about the left/right weight distribution. I generally will only go straight up or down the slope, but this one time I was wrestling the sicklebar around a tree, and, well, it almost got away from me. Probably not nearly as bad as it felt and I was able to steer out of it okay. Be a shame to scratch the paint doing that.

Return to “Farmall Cubs Photos”