This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub loboy mott flail to standard cub...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y

cub loboy mott flail to standard cub...

Postby Indy4570 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm

ok I have scoured the forum for a few days now and have seen a few different configurations. Sadly many of the threads are so old they are afflicted with the photobucket curse and most images are not showing. I am looking at a possible trade for a mott flail mower but it was on a loboy. how hard is it going to be to find or make what is needed to run this on a standard cub?
Attachments
normal_fail.JPG
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: cub loboy mott flail to standard cub...

Postby Gary S. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Could this help you - Google chrome fix for missing photobucket pictures https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

I have a Mott for a regular cub and Woods for a Lo Boy but they are 1500 miles away for the winter. The only thing that comes to mind is that on a Lo Boy the rear bullgears are rotated forward making the wheel base shorter. The back attachment arms of the Mott may be longer just to get the mower to clear the wheels ??? We will have to leave that up to others but that is my take. What are you trading for it ? What is your plans for it's use? The Mott does not finish mow as nice as say a Woods 59,it leaves ridges approx 4-6 inches apart when mowing,more pronounced depending on speed.Naturally always wanting to get done 2nd gear was used the most. We used to cut the yard with the Mott and our Farmall Cub but switched to a Lo Boy and the Woods. The Mott has a tendency to kick up dust and cutting debris,throw them out the front,then the radiator fan blows it right in your face. Pretty tough if you have allergies. We tried over the years running it backward with the optional front and rear Mott muching plates and that was no help ,tried running it forward with the plates,no help there either . For me if I have some rough mowing to do I put our 6ft Mott on the Ford,more power and easier to change implements anyway or make two passes with the Lo Boy

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Gary S. wrote:Could this help you - Google chrome fix for missing photobucket pictures https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

I have a Mott for a regular cub and Woods for a Lo Boy but they are 1500 miles away for the winter. The only thing that comes to mind is that on a Lo Boy the rear bullgears are rotated forward making the wheel base shorter. The back attachment arms of the Mott may be longer just to get the mower to clear the wheels ??? We will have to leave that up to others but that is my take. What are you trading for it ? What is your plans for it's use? The Mott does not finish mow as nice as say a Woods 59,it leaves ridges approx 4-6 inches apart when mowing,more pronounced depending on speed.Naturally always wanting to get done 2nd gear was used the most. We used to cut the yard with the Mott and our Farmall Cub but switched to a Lo Boy and the Woods. The Mott has a tendency to kick up dust and cutting debris,throw them out the front,then the radiator fan blows it right in your face. Pretty tough if you have allergies. We tried over the years running it backward with the optional front and rear Mott muching plates and that was no help ,tried running it forward with the plates,no help there either . For me if I have some rough mowing to do I put our 6ft Mott on the Ford,more power and easier to change implements anyway or make two passes with the Lo Boy

I have a woods L306 on the 140 so I have finish mower if I need that, I want the flail for rough cutting applications. I have a Kub Kutter I am working on finding the proper mule drive and front mount for. I have 2 cubs so we will see what ends up on what. I am working on a package trade for a GT I have. nothing decided on, still in the negotiation stages. but I like the flail, have wanted one and watched many vids of them in use on cubs.
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 am

A lot of golf courses were mowed with Mott mowers back in the day - they aren't bad finishing mowers with the proper knives and adjustment, and they can't scalp your lawn or send a rock into the side of your house.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 am

Find the parts you need? Pretty much impossible.

Make the parts? Depends on your fabricating skills and creativity.

The Loboy mower mounts more out to the side than the row crop version. On the row crop version the mower hangs under the belly of the tractor a bit.

Really, you might be able to get away with just a longer chain for the lift, and a longer belt for the drive. If you're getting a good deal on it it might be worth a try.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 am

I dont see a "jockey rod" on the lowboy, I am not sure how the mower was prevented from swinging back wards. adding a mount would not be so difficult. from the looks of the mower it seems to be not so used judging by the paint, but thats hard to tell.
Circle of Safety

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 am

To prevent it from swinging back and to help maintain belt tension, I'd reverse the drawbar and make some heavy angle iron brackets to run between the mower and drawbar.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'd leave the drawbar lockbolts out so it could go up and down with the mower when lifted. That's my plan for rear support on a home made mower set up for mine.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am

Indy,
Here is a 1968 Int'l Cub LoBoy we owned for a year or so. 5' Mott Flail Mower Model LBS5 S/N 566.
This was the original setup from the dealer, even had the original sales receipt.

There are definite differences to the extent Mott had unique model #'s for the unit used on a regular Cub and for the the Loboy.

Here's a copy of the Mott brochure from the "Parts DB" by Allenlook in the "Cub Info" drop down menu. Same one is on Rudi's Mirror site but both are basically useless because the image is so small you can't read anything.
http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/oemi_Mott_Flail_Mowers.asp

TM Tractor used to have a brochure section and it had this brochure on it.

Not the help you were looking for...

Someone here on the forum must have a complete unit on a regular Cub.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Here is how mine is mounted on a 48 FCUB.

DSC01947 (Small).JPG

DSC01946 (Small).JPG

DSC01945 (Small).JPG

So you can see the difference.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I have not laid eyes on the Mott that came off the loboy, that is the one in the pic I posted, it is off the tractor now. as far as I can see, the most it will need is shifting the rear bracket mounting locations and fabricating a front jockey rod of some sort. having a few different mule drive options may be helpful.
Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 am

Mine is the same as Ken's with the exception of the jockey bar with the bends,mine is straight and of course his nice paint job.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 am

I may have found a Mott set up for a standard cub, will make things a lot easier. Hope to see some pics tonight. the main differences are the lift arm and the mule drive. many are set up to run the mule drive off the drawbar. I like the heavy mule drive setup on Ken's. but it doesn't matter as long as everything lines up. The other issue was the side mount for a lowboy, the stability is provided from the left side of the tractor to the left side of the mower. I know it doesn't matter really but I hate to weld up a nice mower if it is already set up for a loboy. I have decided on one thing after looking at so many different setups.....I think I need me a round nose lowboy someday in the herd ;)

:tractor:
Circle of Safety

Jim B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02576

Postby Jim B » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello Indy
I have the same dilemma. I suppose I could use the mower as it is, all the way out to the right, but I don't find the idea appealing. It' a 60" mower. I am assuming the loboy is, well, too low to mount it underneath.
My approach, I think, will be to move the idlers over to the left, to the position in which they bolt around the corner of the draw bar, and then reposition/modify the mower support arms to suit. It will balance much better on the hoist that way. ( I don't mind the work; as far as I can tell, almost everything needs either modification or repair.)
However, the length of the arms places the mower under the bell housing. I would think it belonged under the torque tube, so as to have more clearance. I can't really tell from any of the photos. Can somebody advise me?
Thanks.

Danzo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13846

Postby Danzo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 am

Hello all. Im in a close situation. Just purchased a mower from a reputable sell. He told me its for a hi crop version, so made the purchase. Mounting hardware is very different from the usual though. Push bar is not Y shaped but has one leg straight. No jocky rod, but has a bracket and rod which mounts on left side of mower. And ideler pully bracket is not angled to mount on corner of draw bar. He said there were may mounting configerations. I took his word for it. But my mechanical logic is telling me the unit for a lowboy. Just by quick taking measurements at home. It will be sticking about 25" out to side" its a 48" mower)) the jocky bracket and rod looks to be wat to short, not sure it the unit will even reach the ground. And who know about the belt.
Does this unit sound like a low boy unit?
I have pic. But cant get them up loaded. If any one knows about what i have and if it will work with out modification ( The purchase is suposed to be a direct bolt on unit with all hardware and belt)
Please help.
Thanks

Danzo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13846

Postby Danzo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am

I would also like to add for Jim B. The arms that i have are 46" from center of rear pin to end of bar. I'm not sure this helps since I could not load the photos or am able to identify what unit I have.