This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Navy Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Re: well

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Todd wrote:I got an offer I could not refuse, Ill give you the details when its final. Too good to pass up, and the point was i needed the money for another project

Todd, all that matters is you got what you wanted AND she's going to a good home. Ya don't want to see her being neglected and abused :lol:

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:39 pm

sold it for 3k, which is a lot more than I was hoping. checks in the bank waiting for it to clear. Too good of an offer to leave it on ebay
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:10 am

Todd:

I agree. An offer like that is impossible to refuse. I hope it is going to a good home. As for good form, well sometimes good form is superceded by common sense. At least I would hope so..

And eBay does allow a lister to de-list, so I see nothing wrong with it.

Now, ifn I was going to bid on it, then I might be a bit disappointed, but hey I would have to live with my disappointment :roll: :lol: :lol:

Glad you did well on the deal. That should help with the stang project...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:17 am

It's worth pointing out in this case the auction had 0 bids at the time Todd delisted it. EBay has always allowed that practice and I see nothing wrong with it. If there had been a bid, it would have been an entirely different situation.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:15 am

Sorry, I guess I was just expecting a different reaction. Normally when someone yanks a tractor off eBay like that, they get a virtual blanket party... Doesn't matter if there are bids or not.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:19 am

Matt:

I understand the whole point of your original post, and normally on many forums, that is exactly what would happen. As Jim also indicated, there were 0 bids, so it is a non issue with eBay and anyone else. Even had there been a bid, if it had been cleared with eBay, then that would be ok too.

One of this great things about this whole site is that things like that do not happen.

I am a member/mod on another site, which I haven't spent a lot of time on strictly because of the flames, blanket parties and other forms of group dysfuntion.

I have very little time for that kind of activity. Many times I have witnessed a simple question or even an innocently expressed opinion degenerate into a mindless melee where tempers get out of hand. There is no need for that, and in many places it simply is not tolerated.

One of the greatest things about FarmallCub.com, is that it is not a place where activities such as that occurs. None of us engage in it.

Yes, there can be some spirited discussion, but respect is the keyword, it is a creed by which everyone lives by.

I am some glad that a blanket party was not held.

Personally as a Navy Vet, the term blanket party is pretty descriptive to me, and I am ashamed to even know what one is. Thank God, most of that kind of conduct is no longer tolerated.....

FarmallCub.com is the greatest site to be a moderator on. Most of our duties seem to be just helping the members whether it be by fixing a busted link, answering a question, listening to good ideas and implementing them or whatever other positive situation develops.

I don't think I have ever had to Moderate a flame or anything like that here. It truly is a joy.

I hope tht everyone enjoys the respectful and sometimes thought provoking threads/posts that have become the hallmark of FarmallCub.com :!: 8) 8)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:47 pm

It is best to list your items on ebay with your disclaimers ........
For Sale locally etc.... This covers your hinder.

Most of the time when an item on ebay ends early, I am disappointed but then again it probably sold for a lot more than I was willing to pay. LOL

At any regular auction you see stuff bought back by the owner all of the time. I don't like it but they have to cover their end also..

It's just the way the game is played. :-)

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:01 am

rudi,

there are times when a blanket party is in order. seldom, but there are times.

i recently attended an auction where a cub was on the bill. as you would expect there were several people who came only for the cub stuff. [include me] when the cub came up with a broken steering box base,[where all the impliments mount and the whole front end has to be removed to replace.], piano hinge generator hood, half a turn steering slop, and a paint job that must have been applied with a straw broom, and axle seals that no longer leaked [but had not been repaired].

mine was the winning bid. THEN it was announced that there was a reserve on the cub. 3000 bux was the reserve on a cub that would make scruffy look normal. there was never a mention of a reserve before, or during the auction. only after all the bidders had made plans to attend, and made the trip to the auction, stood around while all the other junque was sold, and offered bids in good faith was a reserve mentioned. when the bidders were told what the reserve was, several of them left, disgusted. i am sure if the old lady had been a young feller, and he was able bodied, instead of a wheelchair, there may have been a blanket party by some of the folks who had gone to the trouble to try to buy the cub. as it turned out....after those disgusted bidders had left, and the auctioneer regained his composure, [he had not been informed of a reserve either] there were only three of us left. the auctioneer said, "ok, gents, the tractor will not sell, lets go on to the impliments." one guy said he only came for the tractor, the other said all he was interested in was the wheel weights. i let him take home a full set of wheel weights for an opening bid of way less than 50 bux, and he let me take the rest for a song.[flat and off key]. the old lady still has her 3000 dollar cub.

i suppose in a way we gave her a blanket party. i'll let you decide

meanwhile, i'm still trying to find an fcub blade to trade for the L54 blade i bought there.
phantom

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:02 am

No, the disclaimers like "For Sale Locally" do not cover your butt. That kind of behavior is against eBay policies to the best of my knowledge. You can get banned from eBay for pulling stunts like that. You sell it on eBay or you sell it locally, not both. eBay has a few very specific reasons that they allow you to use for pulling auctions, especially after bids have been placed. None of them are "sold locally."

As for the "blanket party," I'm not talking about arguments and such. The sentiment is pretty much unanimous across the board. I'm talking about the threads I know I've seen on here where a guy was drooling on a tractor, only to have it yanked off eBay for some crummy reason. People chime in with "Yeah, what a jerk," and "It should be against the rules," and other such comments. Nothing violently negative, just general disdain for such "shady" practices.

:(
Last edited by Matt Kirsch on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:17 am

I guess the ones that should be offended are the ones who have already placed bids. That would be crummy and against eBay's policy. Since there were no bids, where's the beef?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:23 am

Phantom:

When I was in the Navy, the term blanket party denoted wrapping up the offending OD in a bunch of blankets and then hoisting over the gunnels in the well. A few well placed imprints from human extremities were added to the mix. This was done so that no bruises would be readily visible/identifyable. This is what I meant by being ashamed to know what the term meant. I guess I assumed that one definition fit all. I should have known better, and for that lapse I do apologize.

So, I guess this gets to the crux of the matter. The old saying is always Caveat Emptor - buyer beware. It applies whether you are at a yard sale, auction or eBay. I have been to some local auctions -- example, I have been trying to find one of them older 2 x 1gal paint shakers... hard to come by. Finally found a couple at a few different auctions. Shills must be playing or at least that is my assumption, cause these things go for more money than they are worth - literally hundreds... I get disgusted after waiting 3 or 4 hours for the auction to start on those items and then see a starting bid equal to an almost new one....

In the case you mentioned, the auctioneer obviously was as dumbfounded as the bidders... plus it most likely damaged his reputation. One should always be clear.

Oh, btw.... there are a few blades available on eBay for reasonable prices. I just checked my favourite searches...Farmall Cub Search and there they are.

Matt:

K, I understand your viewpoint and in a large part I do agree. However, as Jim stated, there were 0 bids, therefore that will qualify unless the rules have changed since I last read them a couple months ago.. I am no pro, but, common sense should prevail.

There have been many, many lots on eBay that I dearly would have liked to have. And yes, some have been pulled due to a local sale (or at least that would be a valid suspicion)

Seeing as there is no detriment to anyone with a 0 bid history... there should be no problemo.. Qui :?: :)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 pm

My latest comment was admittedly a little bit over the line, and I have removed it from the thread.

Suffice it to say that I was incensed over what I perceived to be a blatant display of favoritism/cronyism/hypocrisy/what-have-you, and could not remain silent about it. For that I apologize to the group, and especially to Todd.

Perhaps in the future we should not be so quick to condemn those eBayers who yank their auctions for various reasons, especially when we don't have both sides of the story because the eBayer is not also a member of this fine group?

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Right or wrong?

Postby Todd » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:53 pm

You all are trying to figure out if I was right or wrong. If i should have pulled the auction. keep in mind the reason i was selling it was because I need the money! If someone offered you 200k for your house and you agreed but did not have a contract and someone else offered you 400 you would loose the 200 out of some sense of morality? Thats silly. What if your family needed the money? then would you? To be honest even if someone had bid on it (which they did not) I would have yanked it. The tractor would not have gotten to 3000 it would have sold for 1500 tops. So i am gonig to throw away 1500 bucks? NO WAY. Its not like I pulled an artificla heart off the market to sell it out the back door. In this case it is a luxery item which no one needs or is depending on. I guess the only bad thing is i jipped Ebay out of there commision. In that way i would have to admit its disshonest. However I do not feel bad for those people who looked at it. If they wanted it, they should have done the same thing. I guess I am acity boy, and we look at things a little different. If i see something I want, I go for it. Thats it. I dont do anything that will have a negative impact on anyone else. But who suffered here? I got my money to fix my car. The buyer paid what he felt it was worth. I was very honest about the condition. He made the offer I took it. Some people looked at the add and read it, Is the same people (like me) who look at the adds anyway to see whats out there and what they are selling for. They may not have bid on it anyway. If they were what did they suffer? They got there feeling hurt? come on! Lifes tough... get a helmet!
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

BTW

Postby Todd » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:13 pm

I have also given parts to many people on this board No Charge at all. I have never mentioned this. I did it becaue they needed it worse than i did. I am sure I could have put them on ebay and sold them. I also pulled a part a year ago off of ebay with bids on it and gave it to a long time member of the board No Charge. Was that wrong? I lost money on those deals. In this case I needed the money, I guess I could have followed the rules left it on and lost 1500, I could have not pulled the part off for a farmallcub member. when someone needs something I could charge them for the part. I spent hours working on the "Dealer" decal which i posted on my web site to download for free. I guess I could have printed them and sold them. I dont know, all and all i think I am a pretty fair guy, and help people that I consider friends. If I posted that I needed a rear for 2700 would anyone here have sent me a donation? Not that I would have accepted it anyway. So I sold something that I REALLY liked and REALLY didnt want to sell anyway.

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:18 pm

Todd,
I thnk what you did was fine.
Contrary to what a lot of people have said it is not against ebay policy to end an auction early. They list reasons why you can end an auction early.
One of the reasons is that the item is no longer available for sale.
I would think if you sold the tractor to someone, "the item would no longer be for sale".
Ebay understands that items will be pulled off of the market.
They just do not want anyone doing it very often.

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Return to “Farmall Cub”