This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what is it and.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y

what is it and.....

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 am

yes I mean for this to be in this section. I know it is for a cadet. But what is there out there? is there simply no room for something like this in the shape of the castings as we know it? I have seen a hydro something on a 140 to slow them down incredibly. I have seen mention of some sort of slowdown for the trenching attachments. I have seen many types of Sherman transmissions, and others. I myself own a Hupp Dual Drive in a Ferguson TO20. I am curious, whats out there. Could something like this danco drive be made to fit, has it been done? Did they ever make a HI/LO cadet tranny that might work? I have 2 of the old Sears Roper Hi/LO trans-axles just waiting to be made into some way cool articulated lawn beast :P

I had never seen one of these and its way out of my area, it just prompted some pondering is all

https://maine.craigslist.org/grd/d/cub- ... 76214.html
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Re: what is it and.....

Postby Urbish » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 pm

The only item I know of to slow down a Cub is a Howard Despeeder. There are lots of posts on this site regarding it.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Years ago I saw a brochure with a transplanter mounted on the rear of a cub. The unit had a hydraulic motor coupled to the right final(where the planter sprocket attaches) and it used something else as a pump with some sort of flow control. Maybe TM has something in their brochure section showing this unit. Seems like there was 2 people setting on seats handling the plants.
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Oops, looks like the new TM doesn't have the brochure section.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

AL A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby AL A » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm

that's a Danco creeper gear and clutch set up for a cub cadet original. very much needed to run a snow blower on an original..

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Among other things, I question whether that clutch would stand the strain a standard cub would put on it. A cub can weigh as much as 2,000 pounds depending on weights and attachments, where a cadet weighs 800 to 900 pounds, and the engine has considerably less torque. The trencher speed reducer actually replaces the torque tub as I remember, or else requires serious modification to the torque tube and transmission shaft, and when engaged slows the cub down so much it is useless for anything other than the trencher when it is engaged.

The Howard CD6 Despeeder mounts between the final drive and the transmission and was intended for use with the Howard L28 Rotovator. It reduces the cub speed by approximately 1/2, but does have warnings that it is to be used only to reduce speed not to increase pull. I learned why one day, but it was not intentional. They are great for mowing in big high weeds, etc where you need less speed while keeping mower running at full speed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm

AL A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby AL A » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 pm

John, this bolts in front of the transmission. fairly stout unit. I'm guessing 2 to 1 reduction. I've used mine with some extreme loads at our local tractor pull. The clutch does hold up well considering a 7 or 8 hp kohler is providing the torque. It is needed for speed reduction tilling or snow blowing just like your big cub with your Howard de-speeder when you run your tiller set-up. Up in my neck of the woods, I've seen some crazy asking prices for this set up.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I think that IH realized the issue with the Cub and 100/130/140 tractors when the Cub Cadet came out, and they made improvements to the driveline to allow installation of a creeper drive. It would be hard to do on a Cub because the drive shaft is mounted in the rear differential, and goes all the way through the torque tube to the clutch. I've often wondered if you did take a Cub Cadet transmission, could you make an adaptor to install the creeper drive then bolt it to the torque tube of a Cub? The problem then becomes how do you support the drive shaft in the torque tube?

If you look at the transmission on a number series 154/185/184 tractor, it is MUCH more like the driveline in a Cub Cadet than it is like the original Cub, although the heritage and size of the number series is much closer to the original Cub. Here they kind of did what I suggested, used the Cub Cadet transmission, with the creeper drive bolted to the front of the tranny, but they use a drive shaft like on the Cub Cadet tractors with rag joints. It also happens to be a weak point in the number series tractors, often breaking the bolt that pins the drive shaft to the input shaft of the transmission, but overall it's basically what I described above. The big difference though between the number series and the original Cub is the use of a frame to support the engine and transmission, rather than the engine/torque tube/transmission alone.

Anyway, I'm sure that something could be done, and it's likely that you could cobble something together if you pulled apart some Cub Cadets/Number Series/Cubs, and did a little farmyard engineering, but in the end it's likely not going to hold up well.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Farmall Cub”