This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anyone Ever Sleeved A Cub Block

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Anyone Ever Sleeved A Cub Block

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:13 am

I have an early cub and I want to use the original block at all cost. Has anyone sleeved a cub block? What is the max overbore that you can bore one to. What are the biggest pistons they make for a cub without getting into big big bucks. Also do the valve seats press in or are they machined in. Because I am going to have to put all new seats in also. I know I could find a Q coded block but it wouldn't have my serial number. Did all cubs match the serial number on the chassis to the block. I know some do and some don't but mine does. Just wanting everything to be original, everything on tractor is date coded May of 47 within 5 days of each other. I just hate to not use the original block

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:52 am

The block on my '48 has been sleeved and bored .040 over. I believe the most common max size you are going to find is .060 . The .48 also has hardened seats installed. The original seats are integral and the block must be machined for them and new seats installed.

Any competent engine machine shop should be able to do this for you or direct you to someone who can. But beware it will be exspensive.

By the time you buy all the parts and machine work you could easily top $1500.

Rondell

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 am

I know it will be expensive but that is what makes the difference in a correct tractor and just a farm tractor. I take everything to the extreme but it's a hobby to me and it's all about the History. Does everyone's serial number match their engine serial number.

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 pm

on the early tractors The serial numbers matched but I guess as time went on the numbers didn't match. they would pull engines for repair jobs or use them for th power units so numbers got out of whack.
Chad

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:55 pm

silver, have you taken your block to a machine shop to be measured yet Psitones are available in most areas up to .040 oversized, and on speckal preder .060 oversize. There is no need to sleeve the block unless it is worn to the point the .060 isn't far enough. deepending on you rarea, machine shop and parts will run form 500 to 1200.. You can save money by doing much of the engien disassembly and reaseembly yourself.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”