This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub for Mowing? Why?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub for Mowing? Why?

Postby Super A » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 am

I'm glad folks value Cubs and that they do the job for them! However a belly mower for a Cub/Super A is something I have never had a desire to own. I've watched others use them and I don't think it would do for me what I want it to do.

Last year I took the plunge and bought a new JD X580. I do not regret it for a second. It replaces a "mechanic's special" Cub Cadet 782. (Anybody want a 782? 8) ) Now you can make folks hoppin' mad if you call it, or a Cub Cadet a "lawn mower" instead of a "tractor" but that's exactly what it is. It mows grass and that's all it does. That said, it's pretty features-rich: Power steering, hydro transmission, all-digital dash, comfy seat, and a 54" deck. It's low to the ground, the pto doesn't stop when the clutch is pressed (I know it doesn't have one but you get the idea--Cub does not have live pto) and it'll zip right along. Yes there's lots of plastic in it but I am planning for 10-15 years of service before I replace it, and based on my parents' older Deere GT245, I don't see why it won't make it. The Cub is then free to do real tractor work in the garden, or sickle mow the ditch banks and the like.

Some of my mowing would require more work and take longer with a Cub because the 580 can go places that a Cub won't due to height and overall size. I >>REFUSE<< to run a string trimmer. A Cub and a lo-boy is limited as far as speed--you got first and second gear and that's it. Plus, I love my Cub but when it's time to mow, I want to check the oil, fill the gas and mow, not tinker/do repairs and then mow. If I was mowing a lot of wide open spaces a Cub would work better for me, but as it is it would not be the best choice.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 am

Here is my take on cub with a mower.

If you want to garden and mow get 2 cubs 1 to leave the mower on. I have a woods 59 and a.pain to take on and off.

I have a somewhat tight yard so there is lots of turning but I also mow an open yard and lots of fun.

If ground is slightly wet a cub will make tracks where a lawn tractor won't.

A cub dont like mowing uphill or tall grass due to low hp

If you have to get in and back out of tight spaces it's a.bit of a pain on a cub cause of not having a live pto.

A cub and woods combo will far out last a modern mower and much easier to fix and truth be told probably won't break down as much.

You are higher off the ground and further out of the dust.

They won't burn as much fuel as the average lawn mower.

They are built to be fixed, not break and throw away.

It's all what's important to you and what's not. I have a craftsman lawn mower and cub mower both. I use my cub more but the lawn mower is easier in my small yard.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Why are there so many Cubs with mowers? Probably, because most people did like my grandparents. They had a farm for a long time, and had a Cub to do the multitude of farm chores. Eventually, they got older and retired, plus the suburbs sprawled out to their neck of the woods. They got out of farming and sold off their acreage and unused farm implements. The only tractor job they had left was mowing, so they kept the Cub and the mower together and continued to use it. Because it still worked.

As for myself, I got sick of spending $1000-$2000 on a so-called garden tractor (that wasn’t big enough to do anything except mow) every couple years because they were made so disposably. If I can spend a certain amount of money and get 4 years out of it, or spend about the same amount, and never have to buy another tractor ever again (except for recreational purposes!), it’s a no-brainer. Provided parts are still available, and they usually are, Cubs are imminently repairable.

Beyond that, working with the Cub just gives me pleasure. Sure, it’s a bit fussy, things have to be adjusted just so to keep it happy, it’s under powered... but wrenching on it is relatively easy and every interaction with it leaves me with a smile on my face far more often than not. It has charm and personality. I certainly can’t say any of these things about that horrible Murray or Troybilt.

I also find the steady, low thrum of the engine relaxing. I now realize that a modern, 3600 rpm engine has a really annoying drone, like the buzz of a giant, angry, mechanical mosquito incessantly breathing down your neck. It’s always saying, “hurry up, are you done yet?”
In contrast, the friendly, low 1800 rpm rumble of the Cub just encourages you to settle in for a good, honest, satisfying day’s work. The Cub says, “it doesn’t matter how big the job is, well just keep at it until the work is done.”

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:23 pm

I used a jd all wheel steer lawn tractor and it mowed nice, lots of power but i have to say my yellow cub was so much more comfortable than the jd. I was glad to have the cub after using the JD.

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 pm

I found the cub to not like mowing tall grass, as my lazy ass never got to mowing when it should have been done. Also the PTO not being live is a pain, especially in tight areas. You better plan your stops ahead because the mower keeps the tractor going a little further. I sold my Loboy with the mower back in 1997 and bought the first Ferris 61" zero turn with suspension. I have had it since and it just runs with the 25hp Kohler. It is so fast at mowing I only have 320 hours on it.
I did just buy a fast hitch flail mower and am going to rebuild it and have some fun with that.
I much prefer my zero turn for mowing and my Cub for all the other great and fun things it does. The zero turn with suspension is a great invention and a lot of fun!
The zero turn won't be running when it is 62 years old though I bet.

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 pm

I guess it all depends where you are in life too. Dad bought the one on the right in the early 60's to replace a Copar Panzer for yard work. It had a Mott mower and he bought the Prewitt digger and snow blade too. Then in the mid 80's he came across the lo boy with the Woods which took over mowing duties. It takes 2 hours to do both lawns which can be as frequent as every 5 days. Sure it could be done faster with something newer but could not be done any cheaper since both have paid for themself's many times over only requiring gas,and regular oil changes. Points and plugs get changed only when needed along with batteries. For heavy mowing or other hard work or lifting the 8n comes out.

[img][IMG]https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/ed/eb/V1d1xupP_t.jpg[/img][/img]

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:23 pm

The cub with a 59 and sharp blades cuts just as good as my neighbors $10,000 hustler...just not as fast and a whole lot quieter (i can hear his screaming loud mower while mowing with the '63). One oil change a year and maybe one or two breakdowns....
I just started the 63 today....after a long winter slumber....running on the first starter pull...a few shots of grease and we are ready to mow..
Not fast...but reliable...

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Back to your original question. When the Cub came out in 1947, it was marketed towards the small farm, truck farm, and as a utility tractor for larger farms. Along those lines, people quickly realized that it would run a 5-foot mower, and at that time there were no garden tractors that could run a mower that big. This eventually led to production of the Cub Lo-Boy, because so many folks were using Cubs as mowing machines, and the lo-boy offered the same capability, but lower to the ground so it was easier to get under trees, and in/out of garages, along with being lower to the ground it was marketed to municipalities as a highway and parkway mower. Again, at that time, late 1950s, there still was not a garden tractor that could do this. In 1961 when the first Cub Cadet came out, it only had a 38" mower deck, so you can see what garden tractors were like in that time. The Original was pretty typical of all brands at the time, 7 or 8 horsepower, and 30 to 40-inch mowing capacity. So, you can see why the Cub and Lo-boys were and still are regarded as good lawn mowing machines.

However, the opposite is also part of the demise of the Cub. As garden tractors got "bigger" and more capable, the Cub and Lo-boy tractors became more obsolete. In 1979/1980, the last year of the Cub and 184 Cub lo boy, the Cub Cadet 982 was 20-horsepower, and ran a 60-inch mower deck, and had hydrostatic drive, and was lower to the ground, so it was a bit more "manageable" than the 184. Similarly, Simplicity made the 4040/9020 tractors which were also hydrostatic drive/20hp/ with 540RPM PTO. John Deere offered something similar I'm sure, but I stay away from those green machines. All of these garden tractors were lighter, smaller, more maneuverable, so from a consumer standpoint, easier to operate. More importantly from a construction standpoint, they were stamped steel, plastic, tin, air cooled engines, and incorporated already existing parts from other garden tractors so they were WAY less expensive to mass produce. Also, if you "needed" a tractor the size of a Cub in 1980, you could get a Mitsubishi, Kubota, New Holland, Ford, John Deere, compact diesel tractor, small, 18 to 20 horsepower, gear or hydro drive, and 4x4, with standard 540rpm pto, all of which made them MUCH handier and a bit more capable than a Cub.

Why do folks still use the Cub as a mower? As most have said, they're pretty durable and cheap to run/repair, etc. You're not likely to tear up a Cub mowing much of anything, especially with the high ground clearance and all the cast iron! Are they good mowers??? That really depends on who you talk to. Most who mow with them think their great, especially if they have a lot of grass to mow. Most who have mowed with a modern zero turn or modern foot-controlled hydro drive tractor would argue that the Cub is slow, bulky, heavy. hard to turn around, and hard to get into tight places. Everything here is true, so again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 am

Over the years I have watched my neighbors buy, use, and discard lawn tractors every 4-5 years. They try a different brand every purchase (Craftsman, Poulan, Simplicity, Deere, etc) hoping to find one that is reliable and will last. They have spent close to $10K on mowing grass.
What you can't replace is the grin on my face when mowing while my neighbor is cursing and kicking his investment while wearing a doctor's mask & safety glasses trying to avoid the blowing grass blades.

No, they aren't fast and fancy with lawn striping kits, power steering, and a tight turning radius', but the numbered lowboys are decent mowing machines with their higher horsepower and live PTO. The cub is a little less fun due to the non-live PTO, but they do very well in large yards with few obstacles.
It is also nice not being bounced out of the seat bumping along at 9mph on a solid axle with 12" tires.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Over the years I have watched my neighbors buy, use, and discard lawn tractors every 4-5 years. They try a different brand every purchase (Craftsman, Poulan, Simplicity, Deere, etc) hoping to find one that is reliable and will last. They have spent close to $10K on mowing grass.
What you can't replace is the grin on my face when mowing while my neighbor is cursing and kicking his investment while wearing a doctor's mask & safety glasses trying to avoid the blowing grass blades.

No, they aren't fast and fancy with lawn striping kits, power steering, and a tight turning radius', but the numbered lowboys are decent mowing machines with their higher horsepower and live PTO. The cub is a little less fun due to the non-live PTO, but they do very well in large yards with few obstacles.
It is also nice not being bounced out of the seat bumping along at 9mph on a solid axle with 12" tires.

I would guess they bought big box store mowers. If you're gonna go that route a Cub makes more sense. If you go buy a garden "tractor" (I use that term loosely) at an actual dealer, the longevity is much better. I'm expecting at least 10 years out of my 580.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

seamajor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27569
Tractors Owned: 1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

Postby seamajor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:I would guess they bought big box store mowers. If you're gonna go that route a Cub makes more sense. If you go buy a garden "tractor" (I use that term loosely) at an actual dealer, the longevity is much better. I'm expecting at least 10 years out of my 580.

Al

Agreed, I have a JDx300 for lawn mowing and maintenance. It's like new and going on 6 years old. I couldn't imagine using the cub for the job. Those ag tires, the size...not for me. Maybe if I had a small field and a dedicated mowing cub like some on this forum, bit I prefer to play in the dirt.
Not a mechanic but enjoying seat time with my son.
1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r
Follow us on YouTube at BrutonTractors

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:10 pm

I would guess they bought big box store mowers. If you're gonna go that route a Cub makes more sense. If you go buy a garden "tractor" (I use that term loosely) at an actual dealer, the longevity is much better. I'm expecting at least 10 years out of my 580.

Al

Yes, we were an IH dealer from 1935 to 1980, and have sold Cub Cadet tractors from their invention in 1961 to my dad's recent retirement in 2017. When Home Depot and Lowes started selling "Cub Cadets" we basically refused to sell those models because they were such pieces of crap. The deal at our local Lowes was if they sold a mower, the customer was referred to our dealership for repairs and maintenance. What we soon found out was the mowers were such junk that we were getting calls from customers as soon as Lowes dropped off the new mowers at their house. The cheap ass, Chinese "Kohler" engines had this funny problem of shearing off the keyway in the flywheel after starting once or twice, so just about the time a new owner jumped on them for the first time. At one time we had over 20 new Lowes/CC's in our shop, that all needed new engines, with less than an hour on the meter!!! Combine that with the plastic wheel bearings, non-serviceable rear ends, non-serviceable mower spindles, and thin sheet metal frames/mower decks, etc., they're basically throw-away machines.

By comparison, my brother in law, who doesn't even know how to spell wrench, let alone own one, has a 3000 series Cub Cadet garden tractor from the early 2000s, about the same time the Lowes and HD "CC" tractors were first out, about 16 years old now, and he's never had a problem with it. I have a Simplicity Legacy, again about 12-years old, and I've never even had it back to the shop for anything! Service it myself, and use the piss out of it. 4x4, 27hp diesel, front loader, 60-inch mower deck, foot controlled hydro! I've dug multiple ponds and ditches with it, way more than it was ever designed to do, and have never even had so much as a flat tire! Trust me, you get what you pay for!!!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm

My LoBoy has a woods deck I haven’t used. I cut my 2+ acres with a JD L130. While the JD bags and cuts nice it needs constant maintenance and repair. That practice started in its 7th season and I’ve repaired virtually everything but the engine. It’s deck and spindles have been done maybe 6 times (?). The JD is about 14 years old now and I’ve probably got about twice the expected life out of it.
My Cub on the other hand is a ‘58, and no where near as fragile. It’s gotten to the point where I’m making a repair every other time I use the JD.
This summer the woods deck is going back on the Cub.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:33 pm

My Ferris zero turn with suspension is going strong and is 21 years old. It has never needed anything other than maintenance and one deck belt. Some other minor repairs, but other than blades that is it. I would never consider a zero turn without suspension. It is way to much fun to mow with!
The Cub gets all the other fun stuff.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Frozenstate wrote:My Ferris zero turn with suspension is going strong and is 21 years old. It has never needed anything other than maintenance and one deck belt. Some other minor repairs, but other than blades that is it. I would never consider a zero turn without suspension. It is way to much fun to mow with!
The Cub gets all the other fun stuff.

but , way up north where you live , you only cut grass maybe twice-three times a year . :lol: could'nt resist the joke (JOKE ) coppersmythe................PS: i cut my grass for the second time this year . I would not wish our summer heat on my worst enemy