This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The cub is chewing up batteries, 20 amp draw with the ignition off

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GunmanII
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29078

The cub is chewing up batteries, 20 amp draw with the ignition off

Postby GunmanII » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am

Question? What would cause a 20 amp draw on a 53 Cub with the original 6 Volt charging system?
The previous owner put a piece of copper tubing in the fuse holder to replace the fuse. I'm gonna run out and buy a voltage meter so I can get some actual numbers, but what I can tell by the amp meter the generator is charging. I can disconnect the battery while its running and it still runs. I've run through the wiring and I don't see any bad wires or possible shorts. The Cub has the factory wiring with the exception of the cable from the battery to the starter was replaced. I've cleaned the connections on the voltage regulator and the generator. I'm wondering if flashing the voltage regulator and gen is needed. I know someone has had this issue before. I just need any suggestions before I start ripping stuff apart, I don't want to make a mess of her.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The cub is chewing up batteries, 20 amp draw with the ignition off

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 am

Faulty voltage regulator.

Welcome
I have an excuse. CRS.

GunmanII
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29078

Postby GunmanII » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Parts in order... Thank you Sir

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm

While you're at it, you should verify that the battery is hooked up correctly. If it's 6-volt, it should be POSITIVE to Ground!!! I've seen way too many that were swapped out, negative to ground, and this could be part of the problem with your battery drain. This in itself wouldn't be the reason, but it's still good to correct.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Farmall Cub”