cub colors for thread

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigDaddy44
Zip Code: 46140

cub colors for thread

Postby BigDaddy44 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello, I'm David D. Davis from Indiana. I have been a Cub enthusiast for about 60 years. My favorite was a new Fatmall '57. I had one restores about 30 0dd hears ago. I am in the process of restoring a '72 International Cub that belonged to my Dad. OK, this question may be a bit strange. I had
embroidery patterns made like the '57 (named "Otis" by my grandchildren) and the "72 (Ole' Yeller) I am struggling to get thread that for sure matches the IH paint. The best I can tell the tread needs to match: IH 1102B Red (1949-1958), Harvester Cream: MS 99N113, Federal Yellow (found several numbers) 991084R2, 99109BR2, B90810. I would appreciate any guidance as to what thread might match and where I might find a supplier.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum and hope to contribute a little perhaps.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub colors for thread

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm

I can’t help you with thread selection, but I think I can speak for a lot of us here... if you would making Cub-related embroidery available, you would be contributing a lot!

Here’s a page from TM with paint codes.
http://www.tmtractor.com/id/paintcolor.htm

There’s a table of paint code cross references that might be useful to you running around somewhere, too. I seem to have misplaced it...

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub colors for thread

Postby birddog » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Finding thread colors to match would be difficult by just looking at them. The easiest would be to pick a color that you think is close or that you like and use it. The only way that I would think you could get close to being an exact match would be to buy several colors, stitch them out and then compare them to your tractors.

I use Madeira Polyneon when I digitize a design. That's what my wife generally uses in most of her embroidery. Most sewing or fabric shops would carry some brand of embroidery thread. My wife buys hers through a friend that's in the commercial sewing business, but she thinks you can buy Madeira on line from a company called All Stitch.

We used 1637 for most of the red on the Cub hats we made, along with a couple other reds for shading and outlining. I don't know what those who got some of our hats thought of the colors. Maybe some one with a hat from the Upper Midwest Cheesy-Fest, Wisconsin Fall Mini-Fest, or the Louisianan Cub-Fest will chime in with their opinion.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety