This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Combination rear Work Light & tail Light Sealed Beam

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Combination rear Work Light & tail Light Sealed Beam

Postby awander » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:45 pm

I just bought what looks to be a 373 305 R91 combo work and tail light on ebay, and the sealed beam unit in it is unlike anything I have seen in my (non-tractor) life).

It has 2 screw terminals on the rear, one of which is connected to a lead from the switch. The other terminal has mounted to it the tail light bulb socket, which has a ground wire leading to the case.

There is a clear spot in the reflector(which is painted red on the back) for the tail light bulb to shine through.

The sealed beam is marked as follows:
on the front:
"G" in an inverted triangle(like the Superman Emblem but with a G)
"0601" in vertical text down the left side
"15" in vertical text down the right side
on the back:
"MADE IN USA"
and
"D11"
molded in above the terminals

Does anyone know where I can get one of these sealed beams without mortgaging my house?

Or a good way to make a replacement for it?
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Andy,

Got the link to that light you bought? I would like to take a gander at it. I have a couple differnt styles of combo lights. One is the one from my LoBoy and the other is very similar, but not for a cub. I will try to take a picture of them. Both of these combo lights have the little red lens on the reflector.

As far as the sealed beams, there has been a few guys who have torn them apart and replaced the bulb. Mr. Jim Becker is one of them people and then other have said you can get different replacement sealed beams altogether. Ralph Napier is that person to give you them details, I beleive he used a 6 volt bulb from an emergency exit sign.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:25 pm

John:

The ebay Item Number is 7550537341

You can see in the pics that there is a switch post coming out of the light casing. I thought I had really done well getting this thing for less than $25, but I thought it would take the 1133's and another bulb for the tail light.

I hope I can get this sealed beam working cheap.

Ralph is on this list, isn't he? I recognize the name; i bought an oil-pressure gauge, and an ammeter, from him recently
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:10 pm

Andy:

It isn't a sealed beam... it is one of the earlier lights and will require a 6v 1133 if your Cub is a 6 volt or a 12v 1156 if it is a 12 volt system. It is also one of the more prized editions. Not as much as the one with the little conical light on top of the main body, but it is definitely prized. I would like a couple more for me collection.....

You did well for the price :!: The lens is nice, looks like a good ring and hopefully you will not really need a new gasket, althought they are available.

The switch on the top is missing the black bakelite knob, but those are easy to find in any old radio shop, flea market etc., they are all pretty standard. I used to have a bunch of them hanging around in my parts bin for my old boat anchors (super heterodyne receivers and transmitters for my ham shack)...

The bottom terminal is where you hook up the lead for your negative in a positive ground 6v system or for the power in a negative ground system.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:13 pm

Andy,

Yes Ralph is a great guy and anyone here will tell you that. Here is the link for his profile. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/profile.ph ... ofile&u=31 He's sold to many many of us guys here on the forum.

You did real good on that light and if you get it and don't like it I will give you double for it, plus all shipping cost. :lol:

Once you get it home, that will tell you a lot more. My guess it's a 1133 type bulb, but I may be wrong, but it sure looks a lot like the one I have.

Keep us posted.

John
Machinist

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Nice one isn't it John :!: :?: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 pm

I have one of those prized lights with the small red light on top. I just had the metal bodies blasted. They need painted and reassembled.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Rudi wrote:Nice one isn't it John :!: :?: :D

Yeah, fuuny how you and I have been talking about them and somehow this one got past me, but then again I wouldn't want to be bidding against a fellow forum member. At least it's going to a good home. :lol:
Machinist

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Rudi, I just checked on that auction and you got that light right. If my light was on there I'd probably be asking looking for about $200.00+ because of the condition.

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:51 pm

Hey, Guys:

-I actually received the light already, and it IS a sealed beam-the sealed beam bulb is what I was describing up above-it has a small clear circle in the reflective coating on the inside of the glass, and the back of it is(was) coated with transparent red paint. The casing of the light is shallower than the ons on my stabdard rear work-only light that takes teh 1133's, though not as shallow a sthe pictures I have seen of the sealed beam headlights.

-I figure I got it cheap only because it didn't say it was a combo tail/work light-i saw the switch and figured it had to be one.

-another funny thing is that I can see the filament. and it looks good, but the sealed beam doesn't work. i get an open when I put an ohmmeter across the terminals.

--I will try to post some pics of the light and the sealed beam tomorow. I just finished painting the fuel tank/hood and reinstalling it, rebuilding the generator, replacing the differential oil seals, and I forget what else-on my '52, "Wile E. Cub", and got him started and ran him around the backyard in the dark(mice thing to have headlights?) I'm going to bed....
Last edited by awander on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Yes, that looks like 373 305 R91. That is a true sealed beam lamp. The basic style/shape sealed beam is pretty common but the opening in the reflector is the problem. I got a new one from a dealer several years ago and it was pricey. I have since heard that either the 6 or 12 volt version has been discontinued, but don't remember which.

There really is no substitute for the proper sealed beam unit, unless you are willing to give up on the two-way lamp. The bulb for the red light is a #209. The sealed beam is 371 458 R91.

As far as I know, this lamp was never installed at the factory. It was available as a replacement for the earlier combination lamps on tractors '58 and back.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 pm

Andy,

That would be a good idea, be nice to know what you got yourself. Even if the filament looks good, it is so darn small that it may be hard to see where it's broken with the nakad eye. Matter of fact I just had a light bulb tonight in our ceiling fan, that I REFUSED to beleive it was bad (only because I didn't have a spare) I checked with my meter and yep it was open, Still hard headed me thought the meter was wrong :shock: which it wasn't and not until I brought it down and looked at it under the magnafying glass and saw they itty-bitty break in the filament......Well I guess my meter was right after all :lol: Ya think I would have beleived it in the first place when I turn on the switch and it didn't come on. :?

In any case you got a good deal on the combo light and glad you got one, no matter what you ended up with.

John
Machinist

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Jim,

Are these like the regular seal-beams bulbs for the pancake housings?

Meaning flat on the back and without the notch like modern sealed beams have?

Bear with me I have an idea? Here is a picture of two different combo light reflectors that I have.

Naturally the one on the right is the Cubs, but the one on the left is another style of combo light I have, but the reflector measures 5 inches in diameter and the Cubs is about 4-3/4" in diameter.

I have the complete housing for this other combo light, but the mount is a lot different than that Cub's mount, and made by Do-ray lamp Company. The Guide has much better quality than this Do-Ray does.

John
Machinist

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:31 am

Here are some pictures I took this morning, one shows the houseing interior, the other shows the sealed beam unit from the back.

Andy Wander

UBE, PA

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:36 am

those used to be available at many Farm and tracotr supply places. I put one on a lawn tractor several years ago, but haven't checked on their availablility lately.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”