This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

49 Not Charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rcupka
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48176
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

49 Not Charging

Postby rcupka » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

I have been working on the Cub now that it is running. I seem to have no power to the lights and I also do not show any movement on the ammeter. Lamps work when powered directly to the battery and I was hoping to use the load to determine if the tractor is charging. It seems the problem with a 69 year old tractor is that you do not know what is original and what is cobbled up and changed. I have a 6 volt positive ground system with a new battery and cable that now has sufficient power to self start. The module on the generator looks to be a Cut out relay with two terminals on one side and one on the other side.

Today I took of the dash with the switch and took a picture of the switch, it appears both the light resistor and the field resistor have melted wires on the wound resistor. This may have been that way when I got it or I may have done it when I started it without the battery hooked up. I see that it is recommends not to run the engine without the batter hooked up or "something" will burn out.

I see that new resistor coils are available, but for $30 more and I can get a whole new switch with the coils included. Guys is the switch normally good and I just need to replace the resistors or should I go for the whole switch? I don't want to waste money on a switch if I don't need it, but would hate to buy the resistors only to pay again if the switch is needed. I plan to follow the procedure for hook up and polarizing the generator when I put it back together.

Thank you,

Dick Cupka
Attachments
Light Switch.jpg
1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 49 Not Charging

Postby tst » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm

this may help you also
Attachments
07-Cutouttroubleshootingchartrev1_0.gif

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I have done 3 of these dust, grimy, rusted switched off of a Super C and 2 cubs. Cleaned them up, shined them up and all 3 are working well. Got good help here from the guys on what goes where for writing as my first one was a mess. I don't bother with the dimming resisters...if it is dark and I am plowing, I want LIGHTS!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi,
If the system is connected the original way, the lights won't work without a fuse in the holder on the right side of the switch, right side in the pic.
Sand the metal that holds the fuse, so it is clean and shiny, and be sure it holds the fuse snugly. It might need bending together slightly, be careful bending it, I don't know if they break easily or not.
Some of the guys on here have written that they forget about the dimmer coil, and use the lights without it.

Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the electrical system.
The owner's manual has lots of info, and pics of how the Cubs were new.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

The next page in the manual has the wiring diagram and a pic behind the dash. Your switch might be in a different position, IH moved the switch after a few years.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2034.jpg

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, of a 4 position switch. The fuse is 20 amps.
The resistor at the bottom of it is for the low charge setting, I think. That one it needs to have the low charge setting work right. :)
Attachments
Cub switch 3.jpg

rcupka
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

Postby rcupka » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you for the images and advice,
This is what I worried about, it appears the wiring is hooked up very haphazardly. The fuse was present and not burned out, but it was very corroded and the holder did not have much tension. There is no wire from the ammeter to the lower fuse mount so it appears as if the there would be no power feed to the switch (the headlamps were not connected at the headlamp when I got the tractor, taped back at the radiator shroud clamp) and it looks like it was hooked up to the tail lamp location incorrectly. My tractor does not have a rear lamp right now, although I will likely add one when I replace the battery box.

I will clean up all the connections and replace the two resistor coils, polarize the generator and see what happens.

P.S. In the old days on airplanes we used to call polarizing the generators on airplanes "Flashing the field" sounds like the same procedure for the same reason
Attachments
Wiring Comparison.JPG
1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi,
The flow chart above tells how to polarize the electrical system, do not touch the Field terminal with a power wire. The flow chart says jump the Bat and Gen connections.

Below is the whole 1949 Cub owner's manual. It has much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. It has pics of how the Cub originally was also. The experts on here recommend that everyone with a Cub should read it, or one closer to the year of your Cub, for other people reading this. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

rcupka
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

Updated: 49 Now Charging Great!

Postby rcupka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Weather was nice today so I spent all afternoon in the barn with the Cub.
New Generator and Fan Belts
Lubed the fan pulley
Lubed generator
Lubed Magneto
Finished replacing the resistors for the lamps and the field on the lamp switch
Repaired the wiring with a new magneto wire
Made and installed the ammeter to switch feed wire that was missing
polished the reflectors in the headlamps and replaced the bulbs
Installed a new wire loom bracket with grommet. (I didn't know that when I took the head bolt out I would be treated to a fountain of Anti-freeze.
Installed a new governor spring
Polarized the generator per the instruction I got from all of you on this forum.

I am so excited that everything worked perfect! The headlamps worked on both dim and bright and the Generator worked great.

Thanks for all the advice I received.

Dick Cupka
1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Congratulations on getting everything lined out, and you are not the first one on here to see that green fountain . :roll: Most of the head head bolts go through to the coolant space.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”