This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Super Chief moldboard plow. Some questions.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

New Super Chief moldboard plow. Some questions.

Postby Frozenstate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm

I just picked up this Super Chief moldboard plow. It has a decal showing an adjustment, what exactly does the arrow up and arrow down do? Where would you set it. Also how does the share look, it it still good, or should I replace It? Is this plow better than my regular fast hitch Plow? I won't regret selling my regular plow and keeping the Super Chief? Sorry for the upside down pics, new to this resizing thing.
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_20180211_110009.jpg
rsz_120180211_110004.jpg
rsz_120180211_110037.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Super Chief moldboard plow. Some questions.

Postby tst » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I could be wrong but do not believe that is a super chief plow but a very nice plow anyway, do you see the adjustment on the plow the decal shows?perhaps someone along the way put the wrong decals on it, the share on a super chief is a straight edge with no curves in it I am pretty sure, I have a NOS Super Chief one I can take pics of tommorrow

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Looks like a Super Chief bottom with a deep suck share on it to me. Example: http://www.ihpartsandequipment.com/impl ... share.html

The bolt with the arrow on it is an eccentric bolt, you can turn it to make the plow bottom point down a little more to make it go in the ground easier.

By the way, "Super Chief" was the name of the plow bottom itself. They were a replacement for the earlier Plow Chief, although I think you could order a plow with either type of bottom for a while.

Is it a plow for a Cub or 140?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Here's a Super Chief Plow that I had several years ago with a brand new IH Share;

Bought the share from Ken Updike in 2007, P/N 1980953C2 (original share on this plow had P/N IH 544601R1 and "3 HT SOLID" stamped in it.)

Need to look at Catalog PO-10 as it has all the plow bottoms listed in it. I thought I had a copy of it but can't put my eyes on it at the moment.

Yours has plenty of life left in it.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Person on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Snow plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all

Postby Frozenstate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

It has "CUB" stamped in the beam after the numbers.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

you can see the straight share on the plow in Petes pic, that is Super Chief, I bet Super A is correct that someone jammed the wrong share on your plow

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Snow plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all

Postby Frozenstate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Will it work like that, or should it be replaced with the straight share? Was this an option, or just wrong?

Stalkcutter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37143

Postby Stalkcutter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

[quoteby Frozenstate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm

I just picked up this Super Chief moldboard plow. It has a decal showing an adjustment, what exactly does the arrow up and arrow down do? Where would you set it. Also how does the share look, it it still good, or should I replace It? Is this plow better than my regular fast hitch Plow? I won't regret selling my regular plow and keeping the Super Chief?][/quote]

The arrow up allows the pitch of the plow to be more agressive. This is accomplished by the plows moldboard and share moving in the frog which is attached to the beam. I would set it to arrow down position which is the nomal setting at first. If not plowing deep enough or in hard ground move the Arrow to the up position.
Your share is still in usable condtion. The share is of the one piece throw away type and is still in production (Agri Supply has them for sure). There are several different shares available...Deep Suck, Rock, etc.
Super Chief was the latest plow produced by IH. Do not know if its a better plow but, parts are somewhat easier to find. I would not sell any thing until I made sure the Super Chief does what you want it to do. You should be well satisfied with your new plow.

BTW...It should have CUB stamped in the beam.

I type too slow :D
Stalkcutter
Chapter 9 TN Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm

tst wrote:you can see the straight share on the plow in Petes pic, that is Super Chief, I bet Super A is correct that someone jammed the wrong share on your plow

IH made several different share types for the Super Chief bottom. That's a deep suck share, mimics the older plow bottoms with a long point. I don't see any reason to think that is the wrong share for that plow bottom. Here's another new one. http://www.ihpartsandequipment.com/impl ... share.html

Frozenstate, It's a 12" bottom which will make the share parts harder to find. Your share has some wear but it should work ok, just make sure it's not wearing into the frog (the "backbone" of the bottom, everything else bolts to it.) If you need to replace any parts see if you can find the original number stamped in the part. Most Super Chief parts are still available through caseIH.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Frozenstate,
Do you have a photo showing the landside of the plow?
Like this;

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Snow plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all

Postby Frozenstate » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

How do you set the adjustment, do you loosen more than the one bolt? Do you ever sharpen the share, if so what is the best way?

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Frozenstate wrote:How do you set the adjustment, do you loosen more than the one bolt? Do you ever sharpen the share, if so what is the best way?

The shares are meant to be replaced when they are worn.

Peter, thank you for posting that manual!

Al

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Super A wrote:
Frozenstate wrote:How do you set the adjustment, do you loosen more than the one bolt? Do you ever sharpen the share, if so what is the best way?

The shares are meant to be replaced when they are worn.

Peter, thank you for posting that manual!

Al

Al,

Thank Rudi for having it, Dennis for setting up the mirror of Rudi's Server, and Glen for posting it earlier this morning in T-MO's post! :D

Peter

Circle of Safety

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Snow plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all

Postby Frozenstate » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Thank you so much for that manual. It really spells everything out. Just knowing the share bolts are left hand threads could save a lot of time!

Return to “Farmall Cub”