This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stripped implement bolt hole

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim in SC
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29527
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall H - "Ray R." (SN FBH 366519)
1959 Farmall Cub - "Pea" (SN 211538 J)
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 - (SN 92562)
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106 - (SN 380760)

2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Tractor previously owned:
1951 Farmall Cub - "Johnny R."
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stripped implement bolt hole

Postby Jim in SC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

tmays wrote:
Lorisfarmer wrote:Well, yeah - I would take it to a machine shop for that work! I wouldn't attempt something like that with a DeWalt hand drill! :)

But..I'm not splitting the tractor just to fix a stripped bolt hole either! If the machine shop can't do it while the Cub is standing on four wheels, well - we'll figure out something else.

You can do it with a Milwaukee :-)

HAHAHAHA! :)
Circle of Safety
"That's the great thing about a tractor. You can't really hear the phone ring."
Jeff Foxworthy

1951 Farmall H
1959 Farmall Cub
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106
2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I did a Super A final implement bolt hole (HeliCoil) by hand, laying on my back on a concrete floor...and I'm female! You should be able to do it! It helps to have someone watching to keep the drill lined up.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I did a Super A final implement bolt hole (HeliCoil) by hand, laying on my back on a concrete floor...and I'm female! You should be able to do it! It helps to have someone watching to keep the drill lined up.

I’ve done it, also. Would recommend a jig, but didn’t have one. Start with the smallest bit that takes a small amount of material and work up to right size. If you use the size bit for the helicoil starting out, the outer edge of the hole may get a slight wallering. And yes, take care, because it can be hard on the wrist
Thomas

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 pm

One last option, but not really any better than the keenest type inserts. We used to repair "wallowed out" threaded holes by drilling for a larger threaded hole, insert a solid threaded plug of steel, then drill and tap that back to the original size. You should also drill a very small hole at the thread line of the plug, and install a pin, which won't let the plug back out.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:One last option, but not really any better than the keenest type inserts. We used to repair "wallowed out" threaded holes by drilling for a larger threaded hole, insert a solid threaded plug of steel, then drill and tap that back to the original size. You should also drill a very small hole at the thread line of the plug, and install a pin, which won't let the plug back out.

I need to show you some holes in a Super A clutch housing I've been tinkering on. It's a MESS. I feel like what you describe is what I will have to have done.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 pm

guys ( and "girls" if dale is watching) thank you for your input , there will be a certain amount of "stress" on the repair . it will be on a high and wide . the wheels will be turned out as far as possible , and 5" extenders added to that . it is almost 7 feet wide :shock: and yes , its not the dress that makes it look wide .coppersmythe.................................................edit :I think i should have mentioned the unusual situation
Last edited by coppersmythe on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Your over thinking this. I have put in way more helicoils and thread inserts than I can remember. I never had any problem using any brand of drill. The machine shop thing is way overkill. Just get a kit that looks good to you, follow the instructions and you will have threads stronger than the old cast iron. When racing go carts with muckluck engines you striped the intake and exhaust bolts out before even starting it for the first time, drill it out, tap it, a little red loctite and away you went and the exhaust never came loose again. It is to easy.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 pm

i want to thank everyone who has contributed to my dilemma . my concern was it being a high and wide , ALMOST 7 FEET WIDE . the stress on the left axle final with two of the bolts stripped . the right side is fine. i'm not sure how bad they are "stripped out " . my plan is to make it a parade tractor , no "work" stress , but , i will not know where it ends up after me . i dont want to send trouble to the next guy . man, its wide , coppersmythe............................................

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 am

I have put threaded inserts, solid and helicoil, in implement bolt holes using a “DeWalt.” The hardest part was always drilling the hole prior to tapping it for the insert. The drill bit grabs on the existing threads and I couldn’t make any progress without locking the clutch on the drill. With a locked clutch the torque on your wrist is pretty severe when the bit “grabs”. I always end up with a sore wrist. Does anyone have a technique to prevent or lessen this problem? I have tried starting with a smaller bit and working up but that mostly resulted in going through the same problem with each bit. Bob McCarty showed me how to use a piece of emory cloth when enlarging a hole with a drill but it doesn’t work for a threaded hole.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

The concern was expressed that the threads seemed temporary. They're no more temporary than the original threads if you think about it. For one thing the new final threads are carbon steel instead of cast, so they are stronger and longer-wearing right off the bat. For another thing, the threads in the cast that the insert threads into are larger in diameter and (sometimes) coarser, meaning that they are stronger as well.

It's key to use the right kind of bolts and keep them tight, to prevent the wallowing from the get-go.

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:24 am

Clownfish wrote:With a locked clutch the torque on your wrist is pretty severe when the bit “grabs”. I always end up with a sore wrist. Does anyone have a technique to prevent or lessen this problem?

When having trouble use a " guide " to keep from grabbing (and it helps keep the drill bit straight) . In the case of the holes Lorisfarmer is drilling, I would suggest using a pc of 2x4 (hardwood is better). Drill two holes in it, one the size of your drill bit as the guide, the other the size needed to bolt the block to the tractor. Center the guide over the first hole, bolt it down, drill it, remove guide, tap it,install insert, swap it around and do the other hole.You can even make a guide the size of your tap if you want to help that get started straight. It all depends on your comfort level and experience.

Just keeping the drill bit a little straighter greatly reduces the grab when drilling larger holes.
Personally, I never lock the drill on, but keep just the tip of my trigger finger on the switch so you can get off it quickly if it does grab.

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm

I try to use a step bit when the hole geometry allows. It doesn't cut as aggressively and the next larger diameter is centered by the one before. Don't think it'll work in this case unless you can find the proper step/depth.

Return to “Farmall Cub”