This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is a fan hub assembly supposed to have seals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is a fan hub assembly supposed to have seals

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Willy wrote:
The fan pulley is one that all I can do for now is run it until it goes bad. That screwdriver slot on the plug is all buggered up on mine to the point that a screwdriver won't start to grab hold. I thought about drilling it out and retapping it but figure that the resulting metal chips would finish that bearing off.

I would recommend NOT letting that happen. I have read more than once on here that when the fan bearing fails, it usually takes the radiator out with it.
Careful use of left hand drill bit will probably snag the screw and pull it out before penetrating to the interior. Then just replace the screw.

If you do get metal filings inside, then you will have to take apart and clean out the fan assembly. I haven’t done this myself, but my impression from what I’ve read on here is that it’s not too bad a task.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 pm

:Dito:
If you wait until it fails, it'll be even more work...not to mention paying for both a new fan and radiator! :shock:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 am

Hay Thanks again everybody for the advice. After reading i took a closer look at the bearing on mine. After getting all the oil off I can see that the hole in the bearing looks a little egg shaped so I guess I need a new one. I kinda figured out now how this thing works. The slinger is actually a scooper that pumps oil into the bearing to lubricate the shaft. Pretty ingenious. It makes sense that a close fit in the bearing is necessary for it to pump oil properly. I have an old Farmall guy nearby that sells new and salvage parts so I might check with him to see if he has a hub assembly or just the bearing. I'm pretty sure this is the original hub assy. and would like to keep it that way if I can. If not I'll probably check out e-bay. Thanks Steve-N-Tn and Glen.. Since I have a lo-boy Ser# 1371 it should be the correct replacement for mine. Thanks.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:12 pm

donnyG wrote:. . . Since I have a lo-boy Ser# 1371 it should be the correct replacement for mine. Thanks.

I don't think so. It is listed as the early style. Reread what Glen said.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Should be plenty of sources, though. JP tractor salvage, forum sponsor, can probably help you out, as can many forum members who are parting out tractors. Check the Vine classified section on this site and post a wanted ad.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Willy wrote:My bad on the belt pulley vs fan pulley. I seem to have 90w on the brain lately.

The fan pulley is one that all I can do for now is run it until it goes bad. That screwdriver slot on the plug is all buggered up on mine to the point that a screwdriver won't start to grab hold. I thought about drilling it out and retapping it but figure that the resulting metal chips would finish that bearing off.

You could try using an impact screwdriver to get it out. Usually doesn't take much.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi,
The LoBoys have their own serial numbers, they are not the same as Farmall Cub serial numbers.
Farmall Cub serial number 501, which was the first Cub, was made in 1947,
LoBoy serial number 501, which was the first LoBoy, was made in 1955.

They are 2 different models of tractors, each with it's own numbering system.

The Cub parts manual says the first style of fan pulley was used until engine serial number 165152, not Cub tractor serial number 165152.
They did not make LoBoys yet when engine 165152 was made.

The LoBoys used Cub engines that seem to have serial numbers that were being used for Cubs during the same years as the Cubs were made.
The LoBoy engine serial numbers did not begin at 501.

Raymond Durban's database says LoBoy serial number 501 had engine serial number 196902, and the rest of 1955 production was above that number.

You need the newer style of fan pulley. The one in the ebay ad on the first page of this post is not the right one, according to the man's description in the ad. He did not put in the ad that it is engine serial number 165152. I would not buy it for a 1955 LoBoy.

The engine serial numbers did not match the tractor serial numbers on Cubs, except in 1947 for a while, according to Raymond Durban's database.

You can look at your LoBoy's engine serial number and see what it is, it shows where it is in the owner's manual. You need a light to see it, and you might need to clean it to see it.
Below is a page from the 1957 LoBoy owner's manual showing where the engine serial number is.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2002.jpg

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual. You can see at number 15 in the description, it shows it is the engine serial numbers they are talking about. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-05.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Oh Thanks Jim and Glen. i misunderstood Glen's first message i will keep that in mind when I'm looking. My engine ser# is higher so i definitely need the later the later model. I'll check the sources you mentioned if my guy can't fix me up.