Pull starting a cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 19954

Pull starting a cub

Postby Command52 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I have been able to get the compression up on my cub high enough that it is doing everything but starting, It will turn over so fast that the starter kicks out but just wont start, I know some dont agree with pull starting but i dont want to tear up my starter and or my flywheel. My question is i have a fairly long drive way so i can pull it down the drive but i dont want to turn it around on the road if it doesnt start , Is it ok to try to start in in reverse while pulling it backwards, Thank you

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pull starting a cub

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Very dangerous and not advisable. Figure out some way to pull it forward.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Third gear gives good leverage to turn the engine. First and reverse give bad leverage, and may just skid a wheel instead of turning the engine. Going backwards, if there’s any hiccup or rough patch, it could flip over on you.

You could tow it back up the hill backwards in neutral if turning around is a problem. Still only hook to the drawbar, though.

Also, when towing forward, don’t hook to the front axle or bolster. Go under the front axle and hook to something solid, like the drawbar or rear axle.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Command52: Reading back a bit, did you change your magneto to a battery powered ignition system or install an external coil on your magneto?

In any event, make sure your ignition is timed to the engine. No guessing.

The battery powered ignition system is installed with the #1 plug tower at about 2 o'clock. And then you still have to static time the system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Command52
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 19954

Postby Command52 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank you for the information Safety is first and glad you brought that to my attention, After what happened to my grand father you think i would learn , I did change it to battery ignition. it is so close to starting

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm

I would not pull start it. I think your time and energy is better spent going over the installation of the conversion to the battery ignition, the timing, and the fuel system. If something is wrong to pull stating will not fix it.

Check firing order of the wires 1-3-4-2
Manually time the Cub #1 TDC rotor at ~2 o clock at the #1 plug hole
Is there spark at the coil?
Is there spark at the spark plug wires?
if no problem in the distributor.
If yes
Spray some start fluid into the cab inlet try to start does it kick?
No - no spark
Yes have fuel issue.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

jsfarmall
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 72454

Postby jsfarmall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:Third gear gives good leverage to turn the engine. First and reverse give bad leverage, and may just skid a wheel instead of turning the engine. Going backwards, if there’s any hiccup or rough patch, it could flip over on you.

You could tow it back up the hill backwards in neutral if turning around is a problem. Still only hook to the drawbar, though.

Also, when towing forward, don’t hook to the front axle or bolster. Go under the front axle and hook to something solid, like the drawbar or rear axle.

:Dito:

I rebuilt one last summer and I couldnt make it fire first time at all by hand cranking(no starter) hooked tow strap to it and made it fire within 5 feet. Now she fires right up by hand crank. I do have coil ignition. Why the pull start worked I don't know. It just did.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Pull starting spins the engine a lot faster than hand cranking or a starter. Generally, an engine shouldn't need to spin fast to start. However, spinning it fast can compensate for unacceptably low compression.

In the case of Command52's engine, a pull start may get it going. Letting it run and warm up thoroughly may get enough compression improvement or it to start later on with the starter. If attempted it should be done carefully: pulling forward with chain back to the drawbar, attentive adult on the Cub ready to hit clutch if it does start, ready to hit brakes at all times, always ease the slack out of the chain -- no yanking, no kid spectators within 500 feet. More precautions I'm not thinking of right now.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Command 52 : have you revisited your main jet?

My cub has been harder to get running / starting over a short period of time. Almost a flooding symptom , as shutting fuel off seemed to help get it started.
During the last thaw/ above freezing temps I spent time trying again. And again,and again ,with no success.
An occasional hearty puff but no run. Spark o.k. , fuel running out carb and steamy looking light clouding puffing out the stack.

Went out today around the freezing mark. Plan was to remove fuel from tank , pull hood to change things to carb ,and revisit entire fuel route and condition.
Pulled the main jet first...and it had a little ice ,or varnish skins that the undersized copper cleaning wire knocked into bigger cross section hole.
Blew it clean ,put it back in and the tractor started with hardly a bump of the starter.

Check that jet when spark is good and tractor is timed ect. when it does not want to start!!! Fuel seemed fine by exhaust sign ,but was not.

Thanks Farmall Cub folks.
You have been a great resource for knowledge and encouragement with this Cub by reading your posts.....

JimN
Zip Code: 45154
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub

Postby JimN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Pull starting is a great tool. Do it forward like everyone said, but it is best to do it off pavement.
1947 circle cub #1601 with plow, disc, belly mower, sickle mower, cultivators, blade, drag, wheel weights.

v w
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am

Jim Becker wrote:Pull starting spins the engine a lot faster than hand cranking or a starter. Generally, an engine shouldn't need to spin fast to start. However, spinning it fast can compensate for unacceptably low compression.

In the case of Command52's engine, a pull start may get it going. Letting it run and warm up thoroughly may get enough compression improvement or it to start later on with the starter. If attempted it should be done carefully: pulling forward with chain back to the drawbar, attentive adult on the Cub ready to hit clutch if it does start, ready to hit brakes at all times, always ease the slack out of the chain -- no yanking, no kid spectators within 500 feet. More precautions I'm not thinking of right now.

Jim, I agree that an engine doesn't need to spin fast but this is the a big reason people spend the money to convert to 12 volts. In my experience a magneto powered engine will start when turning very slow but people change to battery ignition. Cost of rebuilding a mag could be a reason also.

I have helped pull start a tractor many times. Especially an M in the winter. As stated use a high gear. A pull start can be used in case of a dead battery if a tractor has set. I would not hesitate to pull start but do it correctly.
Vern