This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Might need assistance.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21660

Might need assistance.

Postby alboe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Hey guys,

Doing some thinking........ Unless I make some barrel stoves for the workshop and garage, I just don't see me getting in any work on the cubs till warmer weather is here for good, (weather is either snow, frigid temps or even artic temps.) My time is so limited at the moment with work, that I might have to either look for help or look for a shop.

I have sent out a couple of Emails to members in the immediate area but they haven't been posting for a couple of years. Looking for any active members in the Eastern Shore, MD area that in a month or two might have some free time to assist working on two cubs. (One is running and one is not.) Or if anyone knows of a shop to work on them in the area or surrounding area.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Might need assistance.

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:15 pm

There are propane or kerosene fired heaters that will warm up an area.

The problem with wood fired stoves/furnaces is that they take a while to heat up and rapidly cool down when not attended.

My solution is to wait until the temperatures are above 40 degrees before working in the shop. But then, I'm retired, and day time winter temperatures in this part of Missouri are often 40 degrees or above.

Edit: Thinking about neighboring farmers and farming relatives. Those with heated shops spend the winter working on their machinery.
Even those with heated garages suitable for mechanic work are used for vehicle storage.

Before we purchased the acreage, son and I spent quite a bit of time looking for a building suitable for machine work, mechanic work, welding. Found a few that were well out of our price range. Even considered purchasing the house next door. Tearing down the house and putting up a shop.

After retiring from the US Army, pretty much the same situation. Dad and I purchased a warehouse that was 1/4 block wide and 1/2 block long with 1/4 block empty space on the long end. 1/4 of the building was heated and used for a furniture stripping business. Center 1/3 used for mechanic work and heated as necessary. Final portion was used for storage and the exterior walls were converted into rental storage. We paid cash for the building and used it until my parents died. Then it was sold as part of their estate.

The storage rental units turned a considerable profit.
Last edited by Eugene on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby alboe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Yeah, I've thought long and hard on this. This winter is brutal. I have 5 K9s and 4 are kenneled outdoors. If I brought them in or had them in the shop with me I would rather have burning wood than propane/kerosene.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Reference your last post. Some type of wood furnace may be the answer to your problem.

Purchased a wood fired furnace at auction years ago for $200-. It's still in use in son's basement.

This particular furnace will maintain coals for over 12 hours. Use a box fan with thermostat above the furnace to circulate heat.

Any way, suggesting a wood furnace instead of a barrel stove.
I have an excuse. CRS.

alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby alboe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I'm all ears, thanks.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

ASHLEY is a popular brand in my area. I used one for several years and was pleased with it. It had a thermostat controlled blower and could be connected to duct work for heat distribution.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:ASHLEY is a popular brand in my area. I used one for several years and was pleased with it. It had a thermostat controlled blower and could be connected to duct work for heat distribution.
Yup what Stan said. The wood furnace in son's basement is an Ashley. Son's has thermostatic controled draft controls. Also contains 3 or 4 hundred lbs of fire bricks.

Son can stoke up the wood furnace before going to work. Return home and find the house comfortable. Fire up the furnace, good to go bed. Next morning refuel the wood furnace.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am

I don't know the brand, but I grew with a wood furnace (we just called it a wood heater) with the thermostatic damping and air inlet. Shut up tight and with everything turned down, if you filled it with good un-split hardwood on top of hot coals at bedtime and didn't add anything else in the morning, it'd still have good coals for building the fire back up around suppertime.

I don't know what my mom ever did with that one when she sold our old home place while I was still in the Navy. She took the sheetmetal cover off the top and would keep a tea kettle on top of the actual furnace casing to keep warm water for her tea or coffee. I made chili on it several times.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.