This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

EBay carb evaluation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

EBay carb evaluation

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 pm

This is an evaluation of the physical attributes of these inexpensive carbs. I have not mounted one on a Cub and tried to use it. Also, I'm not an M.E., so there may be places where deviations from OEM are irrelevant. It'll be a long post and will be one post for the top half and a second post for the bottom.
The top: the first thing I noticed was that the mating surfaces of the top and bottom halves were not machined. The top has a very thin bead that runs around the perimeter and screw holes of the top. The gasket is a thin "cardboard" similar to the original gaskets or the aftermarket ones. The halves fit close but not perfectly. The solder joint on the float was sloppy and a little heavy on the arm. The float drop measured okay, but the height was off by about 1/8". The throttle shaft was very loose which made me wonder if there was a shaft seal in place. In trying to remove the phillips head butterfly screws, I stripped both and had to grind them off. The butterfly is made out of aluminum and the two screws were actually torqued into the Al. It's stamped 14* and looks like it has the correct bevel. The throttle shaft is about .005" smaller than OEM and an OEM shaft will not fit. There was a "foam" seal that I could easily compress into a small bb with my fingers that probably did not provide much of a seal. The needle seat looks like the OEM. The needle has a viton (?) tip. The opposite end has a small spring loaded ball bearing. Unfortunately, the needle stuck about two thirds of the times that I inverted it. The idle tube is not threaded but a press fit. It did rotate and also pulled out fairly easily. The hole is larger than the OEM 4-48 thread and larger than a 5-40 thread. To use the correct idle tube, a helicoil would have to be placed. The orifice was smaller than the .021" it should be, but I had no way of measuring below .020". The gas inlet threads are correct. The inlet filter was inserted about 1/4" past the shoulder that it should rest on. Air adj. needle is similar to OEM. Manifold surface was flat and manifold studs were correctly threaded.

Next post: the bottom
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall Cub”