This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

thinking of buying a Christmas present for my '48 (correct police, please don't weigh in)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Re: thinking of buying a Christmas present for my '48 (correct police, please don't weigh in)

Postby Willy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am

jsfarmall wrote:Well I started with one cub, I broke the garden, cultivated, and mowed. Also used.my blade but that wasn't a big deal cause it was usually out of.mowing season. So I got another cub to keep the mower on. If your not too handy with welding and building a bumper is perfect project. Don't have to be perfect, just functional. Also make it to protect the tie rods. Perfect learning project for ya. Piece of channel iron, some light angle iron, then flat bar and your good to go. Google is full of examples to go by.

That's my plan. It's been years since I've done any welding, but got one of those cheap fluxcore wire welding boxes on sale a few weeks back and figure to see if I can do better with it than I did that stick welding back in the late 70s.

Another reason for wanting a bumper/grille guard: More weight on the front!
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: thinking of buying a Christmas present for my '48 (correct police, please don't weigh in)

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:57 am

Couple of thoughts on this:

1. I've heard that the 11-bar grille blocks airflow through the radiator, and can cause overheating problems in certain cases.
2. I'm not sure the sheet metal is much more robust than the mesh grille.

Have you considered finding some heavier perforated sheet metal, or expanded metal to make a more robust grille?

willys55
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07827
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1971 International Lo Boy
1970 Case 580CK
1940 Ford 9N
1964 International Cub Cadet 100
1984 Toro Groundsmaster
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby willys55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I am planning on building a new grill for my 48, for much of the same reason. I don't like the look of the mesh and the one I have looks like it was used as a catchers mitt. I like the look of the 11 bar. I just haven't figured out which way I want to go with my fab work. I do think that your best option might be the brush guard because of the low hung branches....either that or get rid of all the low hanging stuff in your way
My 1948 Cub Project

1964 Cub 100
1948 F Cub
1941 Ford 9N
1961 Ford 841
1971 Lo Boy 154
1971 Case 580CK

Return to “Farmall Cub”