This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle Adjustment Out Of Whack

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Throttle Adjustment Out Of Whack

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:55 am

Rather than bury this in my waking up the Cub thread, I figured I'd ask it separately.

While I was getting it back to running order, I found that the arm on the governor that the throttle lever moves was froze up solid. After several days worth of PB Blaster, AeroKroil, Marvel Mystery oil, small rubber hammer and a foot long piece of pipe, I got it moving freely. Now that it's running, what I'm seeing is that I can't move the throttle lever more than around halfway to the rear. The engine is pretty much at idle in this position. Moving the lever forward, the engine picks up speed and I can move the lever past the forwardmost notch and the engine continues to pick up rpms. If I let go of the lever in this position, it jumps back to the forwardmost notch and stays there. When running, the governor does have control as it will change the engine speed with changes in load.

What I'd like for it to do is have idle at the rear throttle notch and wide open at the front notch. I've read a few threads here on it and unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing anything about just adjusting the throttle lever/rod to accomplish this. And I'd really rather prefer to not open a can of worms by opening up the governor when it's apparently doing it's thing like it's supposed to.

Suggestions? Ideas? Learn to live with it? (It's really eating at my OCD)

Thanks in advance.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle Adjustment Out Of Whack

Postby ShawnAgne » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 am

If I'm understanding you correctly you need to change the length of the rod that goes from the Carb to the governor. You're having the opposite issue I had. I think you need to shorten it. Was in a thread but my 184 motor in the cub was at 1800rpm pulled all the way back and then went as high as 2800+ RPM forward. So I needed to adjust the length of the rod I mentioned and the governor, now its fixed. Also if the throttle control lever is jumping out when pushed forward and popping backwards just get a small file and sharpen the flats up. I had to do this and now it stays where I put it.
Shawn Agne

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 am

A couple things to check first:
1) Make sure the rod from the governor to the carburetor is adjusted by the book.
2) Check for a stretched or incorrect governor spring.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get down there on it this afternoon.
Waking up the ol' Cub

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Also check for the clip that holds the throttle rod from wandering, it's about halfway, should be bolted to the head with a 1/4 in capscrew, on the right side about where #3 piston.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,
Below is a listing at TM Tractor showing the throttle lever, the place on the lever that sticks out to engage the teeth on the throttle sector wears, and then it can not hold, and slip.
The bottom pics on the page show the shape of the part.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/415fp.htm

Below is a pic of a new Cub throttle sector, showing how the notches should be.

Below that is a pic from TM Tractor showing the throttle rod clip, it holds the rod, it is above the oil filter area, bolted to the head with a short bolt, not one of the head bolts.

Below that is a pic showing where the clip is, at the lower left of the pic. :)
Attachments
1.jpg
Cub throttle rod clip.jpg
Cub throttle rod clip.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Cub alt 76 Cub.JPG

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks guys. The clip is on the head and the rod is in it.

I didn't get to do anything with the throttle today. Mrs Willy had a bunch of Christmas presents to move out of the basement and wrap up and wanted me to bring them. I put my "mulepack" on the back of the Cub and had a pretty good afternoon hauling stuff around the place with it. I needed to run it some more anyway and got close to 4 hours on it this afternoon. Found a few more things to look at as well. It's supposed to rain here the next couple of days, so I'm figuring Shop Time!
Waking up the ol' Cub

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi,
I sent you a PM.

Return to “Farmall Cub”