This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand cranking your cub.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Hand cranking your cub.

Postby tmays » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Willy wrote:As a lightweight scrawny kid driving my Grandpa's Super C on the farm, he wouldn't let me drive it until I could hand crank it. I'd get the crank horizontal on the down turn and jump up trying to get all my weight into it. It never kicked back on me, but I sure wished he'd get the darn electric starter fixed on it. He never did saying it was too easy to start with the handcrank.

Not trying to be the correct police, but you’re lucky you didn’t get hurt
Thomas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:53 pm

All part of growing up,playing with Mercury in science class,check. No seat belts in car,check. Big chrome knobs on dash,check.Push mowers with no safety cutoffs,check. No child proof caps,no ground fault outlets,garage door openers with no safety stops etc. Now things are so safe the kids don't go out ....

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Gary S. wrote:All part of growing up,playing with Mercury in science class,check. No seat belts in car,check. Big chrome knobs on dash,check.Push mowers with no safety cutoffs,check. No child proof caps,no ground fault outlets,garage door openers with no safety stops etc. Now things are so safe the kids don't go out ....

gas can spouts you can get gas out of CHECK!!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 pm

good save guys , i forgot about that video . everyone should handcrank their cub a few times . it is satisfying in way . coppersmythe.......................Hint : folks watching a parade love to see that . i kill my cub , jump off in horror , oh no , it wont start ! then the hand crank saves the day ! one of these days im going to regret my little charade . ( new gas can spouts :evil: :evil: )

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 am

coppersmythe wrote:good save guys , i forgot about that video . everyone should handcrank their cub a few times . it is satisfying in way . coppersmythe.......................Hint : folks watching a parade love to see that . i kill my cub , jump off in horror , oh no , it wont start ! then the hand crank saves the day ! one of these days im going to regret my little charade . ( new gas can spouts :evil: :evil: )

I found some spouts on fleabay, even comes with 2 caps so you will have the right thread/size and a breather port with cap to install in your new plastic can. (you know, the ones that split at the seams and leak in a month or 2 )
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 am

In our area TSC carries those old style replacement spouts.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 am

Indy4570 wrote:honestly wish I had a crank for my cub. Used to hand crank a farmall B we had as a kid to cultivate corn. I would rather hand crank the B than flywheel start an old johhny popper we had. it wasnt starting it, it was a bar for the cultivators that would catch you across the forearm when it fired. all that year me, my brother and my Dad all had matching sores on our arms. I wasnt sad when he sold that JD

When it came time to start the JD 620, I'd crank up the Farmall, hook a chain up to the JD. Gramps would get on the JD and I'd pull start him. Why waste money on starter batteries when you got grandkids and another tractor.

Yeah, I know that now, but back then things were different. Heck I figure I'm lucky I lived to get to be old enough to leave home. We did all kinds of stuff that parents today would have a conniption fit over. A lot of which our elders either never caught on to or just told us to be careful and never stopped us from doing.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

Willy wrote:
Indy4570 wrote:honestly wish I had a crank for my cub. Used to hand crank a farmall B we had as a kid to cultivate corn. I would rather hand crank the B than flywheel start an old johhny popper we had. it wasnt starting it, it was a bar for the cultivators that would catch you across the forearm when it fired. all that year me, my brother and my Dad all had matching sores on our arms. I wasnt sad when he sold that JD

When it came time to start the JD 620, I'd crank up the Farmall, hook a chain up to the JD. Gramps would get on the JD and I'd pull start him. Why waste money on starter batteries when you got grandkids and another tractor.

Yeah, I know that now, but back then things were different. Heck I figure I'm lucky I lived to get to be old enough to leave home. We did all kinds of stuff that parents today would have a conniption fit over. A lot of which our elders either never caught on to or just told us to be careful and never stopped us from doing.

That reminds me of the J.D. 730 diesel electric start (these had four 6V batteries with 24V starting systems for those that don't know) we had when I was a teenager. My dad never would buy batteries for it so he would wake me or my brother up early before school if he needed to use it to pull start it. One morning we cranked it because he was going to plant corn that day. I came home from school that afternoon and the tractor was sitting in the back yard idling. Dad came home shortly after I got home and I ask him why was the tractor running if he wasn't home? He said he ran out of corn and didn't know what time I would be home to crank it back so he just left it :lol:
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”