This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1955 Farmall Cub Wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

1955 Farmall Cub Wiring

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:03 pm

I am rewiring my 1955 Cub. Currently it looks like the wire from the Battery on the regulator goes to battery ignition switch. However, my wiring diagram from my Cub books and from the person I got the wiring from shows the wiring going from the L terminal on the regulator to battery ignition switch. And now the line from the L terminal on the regulator goes to the ameter. It ran okay that way. Should I rewire it per the diagram or how it was wired? Color me confused. :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1955 Farmall Cub Wiring

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, switch them to conform to the diagram. With those two wires switched, the system can still operate normally but they should connected the proper way.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am

When I re-wired my 51 which has a 12v conversion, I used a wiring diagram for the original wiring with a change for the one wire alternator. I got both from the quick links section here.

I then made sure it all worked, then did a few other mods (ran the rear work light from a separate switch, new fuse setup and added a wiring hook up so I could run the tailights on my utility trailer should I get caught out at night). I'm still thinking about adding a usb charging port for my phone.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the help. Now on the wiring harness I got, there are two wires that run to the lights. I assume one must be a ground. The old wiring has just one wire. I am not sure what to do with the second wire?

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 am

Every thing I've got shows 2 wires coming off of the switch. One splits into 2 and those go to the headlights. The other goes to the rear work light. I have no shown separate ground wire to the lights, but mine has old type bulbs, not sealed beams. Mine ground through the headlight assemblies with just one hot wire connecting to each light.

The only thing on mine that has a ground is the battery. I did put one in for the trailer connector harness as the trailer has led lights and you pretty much need a separate ground on those. That I just ran to where battery cable grounded to the axle.

Hope this helps
Waking up the ol' Cub

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:59 am

Willy, In this case, the wiring harness does have two wires that run clear to the front and split off for two wires for each of the two headlights. I assume the second wire must be a ground. My other Farmall tractors just have one wire going to the headlights, but then sometimes I have trouble grounding them. I assume they are grounded through the frame of the headlight and onto the frame of the tractor. I suppose a separate ground wire solves that problem. Just guessing. Do not want to let too much smoke out of my new wiring!!! :shock:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 am

Hi,
Below are 2 pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual. They show the ground wires for the lights. I have read on here that some Cubs had the ground wires, and some did not.
The numbers on the 1st page are explained on the 2nd page. The wires ground on 1 bolt that holds the dash on. They are numbers 38 and 39 on the 1st page, in the pic of behind the dash.
Maybe you knew already. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2049.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:14 am

Mine doesn't have ground wires on the lights. Just hot wires from the switch to the terminals on the light housings.

When I started rewiring mine, I quickly realized that a lot of the wiring that was on it was field modifications by my wife's Grandaddy over the years. But the lights were pretty true to the diagram. Although they didn't work when we first got it off his farm in '03. Working lights on it were probably not a big concern to him. The way it was wired from the battery to the ignition and light switches was "odd". But apparently it worked for him.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”