This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

alternator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

alternator

Postby Rubee » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:26 pm

Good news! My son has had the cub fever for several months now and recently bought a 64 cub that runs really pretty and he's having a blast with her. Bad news is I'm his go to guy for repairs and I know very little about the charging system.
The cub has a 6V bat., distributor and coil and what looks like GM alternator with one wire attached to a terminal and going to the battery(starter). two smaller terminals are spade type and covered with a plastic cap. It has a 3-position light switch with the fuse in dash below the ignition switch.
The problem: lights don't work, battery runs down and after removing the hood and getting into it, amp guage not hooked up and a couple of cut wires etc. Are alternators only for 12V systems? Can this be hooked up to run and charge with the components it has or does it need replacements? Thanks for any help.-Al

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:58 pm

There are 6 volt alternators but they are not common. If you find the tag on the alternator you should be able to determine if it is 6 or 12 volt. Most likely it is 12 volt. From the sounds of things, the charging system has been butchered up. You will need to decide if you want to make it 6 or 12 volt and rebuild the system.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:57 am

I CHECKED THE ALTERNATOR LAST NIGHT AND I BELIEVE IT IS STAMPED 6 VOLT. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A CUB WITH A 6-VOLT DELPHI-REMY ALTERNATOR?

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:08 am

Most alternators on old tractors are 12V, because of degraded electrical wiring or 12V accessories are easier/cheaper to acquired these days.

I have only seen 2 6V alternators in my brief lifetime, both were in antique cars and were rather expensive replacements for the original generators. Very few, if any, would be found on a Cub tractor because of the high cost.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/6_volt_alternators_&_kits.htm
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:13 am

I worked in an auto parts store back in the late 60s while I was going to college. We did occasionally sell a 6 volt alternator, though mostly for industrial engines. In 1968 a 6 volt alternator cost $100. that doesn't sound to bad now, but at that time $100 was nearly a weeks wages for the average working person.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:17 pm

You still should be able to purchase brushes, diodes and regulator for the alternator. You might take the alternator to your local electrical repair shop - specializing in starers, generators and alternators. If you can get the 6 volt alternator repaired - will probably be cheaper than converting to a 12 volt alternator. A 6 volt generator and regulator will cost BIG bucks.

The 12 volt Delco - direct drop in replacement will cost you about $37.00.
You will have to purchase a new battery, ballast resistor on the coil, and change light bulbs.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 065733&f=0

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:09 pm

You might do some research on 6 volt alternators. On the YTmag forum a poster listed the price of a 6 volt alternator as $97.00 - didn't state where the price came from.

Eugene

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:30 pm

Rubee

I bought a 6volt alternator last year,when I switched my cub back to 6 volt.It is also a one wire application.If I remember right,I paid $125.00 Cdn for it. This came from a farm equipment dealer,they told me that they still use them in some boats. I think a good repair shop can fix yours. I never did use mine. Mine was new,so someone is still making them. 8) :)
Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:16 pm

I thought I would update you on the alternator. Rubee and I totally rewired Clem, including the cables. The alternator was fried probably due to poor wiring so we had that reconditioned. Clem is now charging and the lights work great. Clem has a 6 volt system with a 6 volt positive ground alternator

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:28 pm

Teriffic! A 6V alternator! Glad to hear she's up and running and charging and lighting.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bjgravley
10+ Years
10+ Years

6 volt alternator

Postby bjgravley » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:58 pm

ckeck with G&R rebuilding talk to greg snow (651) 644-7743 i bet he can help you out