This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Kit from Yesterday's Tractor Co. thoughts?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch Kit from Yesterday's Tractor Co. thoughts?

Postby punchofdeath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 am

I'm looking to get a clutch kit from YT and was wondering if it is just the same kit that you would get from Steiner or Ebay (Hamiltonbobscubs on Ebay is selling a clutch kit and the contents look exactly the same as others). Are these just all the same clutches just being sold at different prices? With YT's 65$ price and Steiner's 175$ price I'm wondering if there is a quality difference in the products. I'd like to hear people's opinions on them.
Caleb
Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Re: Clutch Kit from Yesterday's Tractor Co. thoughts?

Postby inairam » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 am

I have recently purchased two clutches from TM ( site sponsor) and been happy. I have found yesterdays tractor to be competitive but not necessarily cheap and slow to ship to the east coast. I would be a little suspect how YT can offer the clutch kit for so much less than everyone else.

Soak the bearing in oil for a few days and then grease just prior to putting it in. I made the mistake of not soaking it and it lasted less than a year before the graphite exploded.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 am

Agree with Inairam. Use the site sponsors. Pay up for quality parts.

Suggest splitting the tractor and seeing what is needed before ordering parts.

Check your throw out bearing brackets.

There is a very good chance that your current pressure plate is still in good shape. If so, use it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

Eugene wrote:There is a very good chance that your current pressure plate is still in good shape. If so, use it.

This point cannot be overstated!! I would reuse a genuine Rockford (or Auburn) pressure plate if it was in good condition before using one of the new replacements.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 pm

If it turns out you do need a pressure plate , you might give Junior a call at Hamilton Bobs....He assured me the last time I bought one , they had never had a complaint...I also like the fact that the adjustment screws on the fingers were an allen type screw...Food for thought...But as Jim said you can't beat the existing IH pressure plate if its re usable....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby punchofdeath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Here is a picture of my current clutch release bearing: https://imgur.com/a/2p7uh

It's worn down sideways as it appears to me and the fingers on the pressure plate are adjusted as far as they can go. The pedal has no adjustment room left in it either. Even with the clutch pushed in the tractor will still drive in 1st and a little bit in 2nd... gotta use the one brake it has to stop it..
I don't know how long the bearing has been in this shape since before I began with it in June. That's why I'm thinkin about just ordering the whole kit.
Caleb
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi,
I agree with what Jim B. said above, after reading on here how some of the new pressure plates quit after a short time, then the people have to split the tractor again, and replace parts again.
The clutch isn't bad just because it is old.

The throwout bearing can wear down after years of use. The material sticks out of a new throwout bearing 5/16".
Grease the grease fitting while you are in there, if you didn't before. They say on here to use cheap grease, it has to absorb into the material. There is a small hole on top of the bearing for excess grease to come out.

You posted about when I did, after looking at your pic above, did you take the pic while pushing the clutch pedal down, it looks like there's no clearance between the throwout bearing and the fingers.
There should be clearance.
If the throwout bearing is worn at an angle, something is out of alignment, the bearing should wear straight.
The adjustment screw in the pic still has some it can be turned in, it is not all the way in now.
If it is not releasing, the fingers are probably not being pushed far enough ahead.
The fingers could be adjusted too low, or if the throwout bearing is worn, that could be part of the problem.
The fingers need setting to an exact height, the guys on here say 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" from the top surface of the fingers to the surface below the fingers, when the clutch is assembled on the flywheel.
Below is a pic of where to measure.

Can you post another pic with the clutch pedal up.

The guys on here say that the parts from TM Tractor are good quality. Here are their clutch parts.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/cl_001newparts.htm

Below is a pic of a new throwout bearing. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg
Cub.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:15 pm

I agree with splitting it to see what you need first. Old worn but serviceable parts will be better quality than new ones. I can't tell much from the picture because the angle is a little off, but the graphite doesn't look worn/bad to me other than being dry. Also seeing "red and tacky" grease on the zerk which usually means good quality grease, not the cheap stuff that the oil seeps out of, that you want to use in this application. Think the bins of $2.99, $4.99 and $9.99 tools with the yellow, red, and blue packaging in most any store that carries some type of hardware. They always have the small grease gun with a couple tubes of grease in a package and the cardboard tubes always looked oil soaked. That's what you want for the TOB, the good stuff is fine everywhere else. The TOB grease is just carrying the oil to the graphite which will suck it out. The "red and tacky" is like trying to suck a just made milkshake through a tiny straw.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 am

punchofdeath wrote:I don't know how long the bearing has been in this shape since before I began with it in June. That's why I'm thinkin about just ordering the whole kit.
Don't purchase the kit until you know exactly what you need.

Have had my share of problems with the after market pressure plates. First one I installed came apart on engine start up. The pressure plate finger height adjusting screws are sometimes to short to obtain the needed finger height.

If you do purchase an after market pressure plate you will need to adjust the finger height. The factor adjustments are not correct and then the finger heights are uneven, some times the finger adjusting screws are thread lockered in place.

If you need another pressure plate obtain a used IH plate from one of the site's advertisers or advertise for one on The Vine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:16 pm

I use used IH pressure plates, since a new one fell apart, in use. Too much labor involved , to do over.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby punchofdeath » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Here are pictures with the clutch pedal up. https://imgur.com/a/82psE
Caleb
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm

See Glen's photo, above, with a new throw out bearing.

In your photos the graphite portion of the throw out bearing appears to be unevenly worn.

After splitting the tractor, check the throw out bearing bracket(s) for wear.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:20 pm

The throwout bearing shows both running at an angle and off center. Your throwout bearing holder is either bent, excessively worn, or assembled off center, possibly all three. Your clutch fingers look to be adjusted too low. Damage can be seen on both the pressure plate cover and the throwout bearing holder where they have been running into each other. That may have bent the holder.

You need to replace the throwout bearing, repair or replace the holder, and adjust the fingers.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi,
Thanks for posting more pics.
The fingers on the pressure plate look low, they have to be raised up to the measurement I said above, or the metal on the throwout bearing, or throwout bearing holder will hit the pressure plate, because the throwout bearing is moving too far forward.
If you hear sounds like metal hitting when you push the clutch pedal down, when the engine is running, the throwout bearing is moving too far ahead.

This can help you adjust the fingers through the hand hole.
A man wrote in the past that he made a heavy wire in an L shape, and made it long enough to stick out the hand hole, and the part of it that would be the base of the L,
1 1/4" long, then he put it in the hand hole, and could measure the height of the fingers accurately.
The tops of the fingers need to be all the same height to form a flat surface for the throwout bearing to push on.
The man said it was easy to set the fingers using the wire.
You need a good light too, and a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver.
Dale Finch wrote that if you loosen the adjustment at the pedal base, then you can move the throwout bearing back, and there is more room for measuring the fingers.

If you are splitting the Cub to work on it, then you don't need the instructions for adjusting it through the hand hole.

It looks like there is worn off graphite material on the one side of the throwout bearing, where it looks worn, or shorter than the other side. You could use a screwdriver and remove the build up of worn off material, and see if the bearing looks worn straight, or is still angled.
A pic of it after scraping the worn material off would be good.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing the clutch, they are not complicated. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2056.jpg

Chris B. Memphis TN.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38018
Tractors Owned: 1969 Ford 4000 3 cylinder diesel, engine just rebuilt top to bottom front to back.
Almost 800 mile round trip Memphis to just below Atlanta, Ga. to attain two red cubs about 1948. One with a single disk belly blade that runs. The other not running with a belly mower. Loose cultivators.

Postby Chris B. Memphis TN. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:32 am

Not knocking the suppliers here on this web site. I did split and rebuild my 1969 Ford 4000 3 cyl. diesel this last summer. Clutch Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate and throwout bearing I picked up local in Memphis. All the engine parts .040 pistons and rings, gasket set, new water and oil pumps and one injector came from Yesterday Tractor. I did pay tight attention to identify the parts I needed from their website. I had no problem with receiving parts here in Memphis. Back together the engine runs fine. Just my experience with Yesterday Tractor. I purchased two cubs just south of Atlanta Georgia a month ago. Found this site after the purchase of one running and one not. Belly mower, Belly disk and full set of cultivators came with the tractors.