This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Waking up the ol' Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Waking up the ol' Cub

Postby Willy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 am

I'm working on "waking up" my '48 Cub that I've kind of inherited afterit's had a several year nap. As far as I know, any manuals that my Father in law had for it were sold along with his other Cub that he farmed with. The one I have was his pretty one for parades and such. I had it running several years ago, but my mother in law had it parked in the shop where it's sat in a corner since. Anyway, I've got a few questions.

What are the tire pressures supposed to be? I put enough air in them last night to get the rims off the floor and to see if it would roll. I've got about 30 in the fronts and 15 in the rears. Also, the rears are a bit larger than stock with 9.5 x 24 ag tires on it.

When my father in law got it it was his father in law's old farm tractor and didn't run with no compression. He had it "restored" which near as I can tell consisted of someone he knew rebuilding the engine, a 12v conversion, new paint and decals. But I don't think much else was done. One of the final drive seals appears to have have been leaking (do Cubs mark their territory?) and when I had it running in '12 there was a somewhat loud "whirring" noise that at the time I was thinking a transmission mainshaft bearing was going out. I seriously doubt it has more the 20 hours on the engine when last parked. Yesterday I noticed the engine oil was a dark gray and too high which has me now thinking that whirring was the hydraulic pump and it was leaking into the engine oil. That and I was having problems with the lifts working very slow. I'm thinking trying to replace the seals and hope I don't have to spring for a new pump.

First thing though is to make sure it's going to run period. It has about an inch of old gas in the tank that I need to drain out and the battery is probably shot from sitting. I grew up on a farm with a Super C which the starter never worked so we hand cranked it. So it's not like that's nothing new.

If I use non-ethanol gas, will I need to put a lead additive in it? Last time I messed with an old Farmall, gas stations had more leaded gas than unleaded.

Anyway, I'm figuring on if I can get it going again, I'm going to use it to pull a utility trailer around the farm and put some kind of blade on it to shove dirt and snow around. Maybe haul a load of grandkids in the trailer too. Thanks for any answers
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Waking up the ol' Cub

Postby ShawnAgne » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 am

No need for unleaded gas. They will burn anything. I was using 87 w/ethanol, but switched to 91 no alcohol gas in both tractors because they seem to be happier.
Shawn Agne

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for the gas info. When my late father in law was using his Cub and Super A, he was mixing all kinds of stuff with his gas. I wasn't so sure that it was all necessary. Especially with a Cub. Most flathead engines have a low compression ratio and not much octane is needed.
Waking up the ol' Cub

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am

I would use suggest some Sta-bil or another additive to help with ethanol fuel-related issues if you do not have access to aviation gas or non alcohol fuel. In my area, there is no option for non-alcohol fuel other than aviation gas.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am

One of our two convenience store/gas stations has non-ethanol gas. Kind of surprised me considering the size of the town.

I put a battery charger on it last night just to see what it would do after sitting for over 5 years. Now I have charged the battery a couple of times in that time, but never even tried to turn the starter over. I first used the old Navy electrician's trick of "bumping" it on the high fast charge setting for about a minute to "shake the innards up", then switched to a 2 amp slow charge overnight. Darned if it didn't have enough juice in it to turn the engine over enough that I could probably start it if it had good gas in it. Also found out only one headlight is working.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am

After your fuel system has been cleaned out , and before starting it would not hurt to prime the oil pump.
Have everything for an engine oil/ filter change ready to address hydraulic leak into crankcase as well as fresh hydraulic fluid.
An o-ring on pump shaft is a usual suspect....shaft needs inspected for wear where ring is positioned.

Most of what you need to know is covered here and can be found searching touch control pump.

Have fun waking the Cub!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi,
Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend reading it, it has much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
Good luck with the Cub. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks guys! I didn't get much done today as it's the wife's birthday and she had a whole day planned for us. Going to push it out of the shop tomorrow to drain out the old gas, then push it back in to take the hood and gas tank off and start adjusting, lubing and cleaning. Not necessarily in that order.

I found .pdf copies of the owners manual and service and attachment manuals here at farmallcub.com . I downloaded them and saved them to a folder on my computer desktop and have been poking around in them.
Waking up the ol' Cub

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

TC37F is the parts manual with schematic drawings. You will probably find it helpful as well.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Took this pic this morning. Yesterday morning it was about half buried in boxes and junk. I did wipe a lot of dust off of it. The only thing that I know was part of it that I haven't found yet is the lid to the battery box.

Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Got the hood and gas tank off today to dump the tank and clean it. I'm glad I did. I'm surprised the wiring never caught fire. Mostly old original wiring missing chunks of insulation. And the hydraulic fluid is way low. I also took the cultivators off as I got tired of knocking my shins against them and I'm not planning on using them anyway. I told the wife that it's a 10ft tractor. Looks good at 10ft, but when you look closer.....
Waking up the ol' Cub

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi,
The IH manual says the Touch Control fluid level should only be checked with the arms in the rear or down position.
The fluid level rises as the arms go to the rear, so if you check it with the arms ahead, it will look low on fluid.
There is an airspace in the top of the unit, if you fill it with the arms ahead, you will overfill it.
Fill it up to the filler hole with the arms in the rear position, you will have to run the engine to move the arms, if they are ahead.

If you have filled it up to the filler hole with the arms ahead, when you get it to run, run the engine with the filler plug out, and move the lever to the rear, and let the excess fluid run out.

It tells about changing the fluid and checking the level on page 62 of the owner's manual that I posted above. In paragraph 4, it tells how to remove the air from the system, and to have the lever in the rear position before the last filling of the system.

Nowadays they use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid in the Touch Control system. They sell it at Case IH dealers. It holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid, that's less than 2 quarts.
The newer Cub owner's manuals say to use Hy-Tran fluid also. :)

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for the tip on checking the hydraulic fluid. Once I get it started up, I'll get the lift into the opposite position and check the level again. I haven't filled anything yet as that seemed a bit moot with it's other issues at moment. Tomorrow, I'm going to start on a new wiring harness for it.

When it was parked 5 years ago, I was having problems with the lift, so I left them up in case I had to move it and they didn't want to raise back up. The intention then was to fix what ailed it, but my mother in law who owned it at the time didn't want to spend any money on it. And that's why it sat for 5 years until I got it a few days ago.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

OOPS! 1951!

Postby Willy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 am

I ran into a couple of places last night that said my serial no wasn't for a 1948. I re-checked here as well and it's a 1951. My bad. I should have rechecked it the first time when I got 48.

No biggie, it'll still do what I want it to.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Started rewiring it this afternoon. I discovered that some time in the past, someone removed the original fuse holder and spliced the wires to it back together. Considering the shape of the old wires now and it's not having a fuse anymore, It's probably a good idea that I did decide to rewire it first. I've got it about halfway done now, just have to run the wires from the ignition switch to the coil and the light switch, then redo the lights. My color coding isn't factory and is based on what new wire I had in the shop. All of the wires that are always hot are red. Ignition is going to be yellow, front lights brown, rear light green and I'm adding a 4 wire trailer light connection on the back of it in case I end up out late pulling a trailer so it will at least it'll have tail lights on the trailer. (I had a brand new trailer wiring harness that I didn't need and it's being sacrificed for the Cub lights)

I've added a fuse between the ammeter and ignition switch. I took a guess at 25 amp.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”