This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Noise Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
9mules
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO Noise Help

Postby 9mules » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 am

I installed a new rotary mower pulley and everything appeared fine. It spun etc.
Tried pumping some grease onto the fitting and it broken clean off!
I engaged the PTO (I had to show my new toy off to my best friend) and it made an awful racket. It spun good before I quickly disengaged the PTO.

1. Inspection of the grease fitting hole reveals no threads. Looked smooth as far as I can see which ain't much that's a small hole even under a magnifier
2. Could a piece of the fitting fell down into the bearing?
3. I've researched the site and Rudy's and I'm ready to tear into it but I want some opinions on this before I do.
Thanks,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:12 am

The grease fitting is a driven type fitting, there are no threads. So most likely, it just broke off and nothing has fallen inside as the remains of the fitting are still in the hole. The most common cause of pto noise is the shift collar not fully engaging allowing the shaft to slip inside the partially engaged collar. Or from worn bearings or bushings. Since you're ready to tackle this, go ahead and remove the pto shaft and see what the problem is so you can repair it correctly. It's not a difficult job.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:17 am

that fitting doesn't really need greased unless you are using the pto a lot when the tracotr is not moving, otherwise it is lubed by splash form the differential. What kind of mower do you have? Teh 42 inch rotartys with the swinging blades sometimes make a lot of noise untill they get up enough speed for the baldes to stay swung out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Press-Fit

Postby allenlook » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:35 am

I didn't know there was such a thing as a press-fit grease fitting...

I think all of mine on the Cub are threaded, most likely thanks to a previous owner. But I noticed that there's one or two missing on my IH-1000. The holes are not threaded so I assumed they had been stripped (albeit extraordinarily cleanly, I thought to myself), so is this the same situation?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:37 am

Allen, press in fittings are quite common.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

9mules
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 9mules » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:53 am

Big Dog,
Thanks for the help. I figured out my PTO noise.

The grease fitting is a press in.

I figured that out by looking at page Section 6A page 5 in the Power Take-off Belt Pulley GSS-1411 Service Manual.

The drawing is excellent.

Thanks again.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:11 am

Hi John

Thats nice to know as I have been greasing my pto every time I mow. And I was starting to wonder if I was going to end up with a glob a grease laying in the bottom of my trans.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farmall Cub”