This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Broken threads on transmission case

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
julmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 66502

Broken threads on transmission case

Postby julmer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 am

I have purchased a 57 Cub Lo Boy and am slowly getting it into working shape. There was a homemade plate over the adapter plate on the back of the transmission case. I needed to remove it to make room for a mule. When I removed it, I discovered that one of the bolts holes was covered. When the plate was removed, the oil came running out. When I tried to thread a bolt back into it, the bolt slid to an angle. As a result I have removed the adapter plate and found what I had suspected. The cast iron casing that the threads are in is broken, the inside of the casting is gone (I took some pictures and will post them when I figure out how). It appears that the previous own tried to put a bolt in that was too long and broke the casting out. The piece is not in the transmission case, so I am guessing they removed the plate and disposed of the evidence. My question is, short of replacing the transmission case, is there any thing I can do? Is there a way to put a sleeve and threads in? I can get a bolt to catch a little, can I use a liquid sealer on the bolt, get it to catch and make it as tight as possible, that would a least limit the oil leak?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zse4swlqwrxlc ... .jpeg?dl=0

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Broken threads on transmission case

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi,
Too bad the case is broken.

If you don't need the bolt hole that is broken to hold on any implement, you could fill the hole, and not use it.
I would use a straight edge, and be sure the original cover is straight in that area where it seals with the gasket. Then clean the cover well at the hole, clean all oil from the hole area with solvent, and then dry it, and fill it with JB Weld, so it is smooth. It would probably need to be slightly bigger than the hole on both sides of the plate, so it doesn't fall out of the hole, but it can't be much bigger on the gasket side. Let it harden for however long it takes before putting it on. I think it can be filed flat after it is dry, but not sure, read the instructions on it first.
You could use a thin coating of sealer on both sides of the gasket in the area where the bolt would be gone, so it seals better there. My opinion.

The guys on here have said that JB Weld works good for some repairs.

Bob's idea below is probably better than mine. :)
Last edited by Glen on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Another option since you have a few threads you can catch would be to clean it thoroughly as Glen suggested. Then JB Weld a piece of threaded rod (or bolt with the head cut off) into the hole. Use some RTV or gasket maker with a nut on the outside that would have to be gently tightened after the JB hardened.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm

I would try either of the two previous suggestions first.

There is a stud to the lower left of the break. If you need the strength, remove the stud, and thread the stud hole.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:55 pm

A few years ago, I decided to try a product recommended by another forum member at the time, to repair a final bolt hole that was partially broken. I found it at one of the automotive store (wasn't NAPA is all I remember) and it was a bolt hole repair kit. You cleaned the area, coated the correct sized bolt with a release paste, then either filled the hole or coated the bolt (?) with the material (similar to JB WELD), and screwed/inserted tbe bolt into the hole. You let it set, then removed the bolt and cleaned it up. Left nice threads.

Worked with a Woods mower mounted for a couple years...sold the tractor and it was still good. Since that plate has little weight or force applied to it that is distributed around 5 or 6 other bolts, I would think that would work.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Eugene wrote:There is a stud to the lower left of the break. If you need the strength, remove the stud, and thread the stud hole.

That "stud" is an alignment dowel. Don't mess with it. It needs to be there for the PTO.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Eugene wrote:There is a stud to the lower left of the break. If you need the strength, remove the stud, and thread the stud hole.

That "stud" is an alignment dowel. Don't mess with it. It needs to be there for the PTO.
Double ended threaded stud.
I have an excuse. CRS.

julmer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby julmer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you for your suggestions! I will try the JB Weld and let you know how it turns out. Dale Finch is right that that will have very little pressure on it. I'm not worried about it getting yanked out.

julmer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby julmer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm

It appears that this is working. Thank you!

Return to “Farmall Cub”