Do you think an updated Cub would be competitive today?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Re: Do you think an updated Cub would be competitive today?

Postby ntrenn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Ive been noodling for a time...if i could just have a few more ponies, live pto, and a little better ground speed coverage i would be very happy. NOT a 154....

T-Mo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 am

Someone here mentioned that in 1947, there were no garden tractors around. That isn't quite true. Though they're were rough and few and far between, there were manufacturers making garden tractors, of the 2 wheel and 4 wheel kind. Shaw, Speedex, Wheel Horse (and before that, Pond), Simplicity, David Bradley, Gravely and a few others were manufacturing garden tractors.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 am

That "Boomer 8N" has nothing in common with the original N series Fords. It's just one of their generic compact tractors painted red and gray with a funny-looking hood.

To that end anyone could design a plastic hood and grill that sort of reminded you of a Cub, stick it on a small compact tractor and call it a "Farmall Cub." In fact CaseIH has been calling their line of compact to midsize tractors "FARMALL" for several years now. Ironically, the biggest current Farmalls are actually a FORD design from the 1960's underneath.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 am

Seems as if any 4wd compact tractor in the 20-30hp could fit the bill as an "updated cub". It would need the to support a good number of attachments. (loader, snow plow, belly mower, breaking plow, cultivators) Today most of the ground engaging implements are supported through a 3-point hitch. A standard 540 pto on the rear with a 2000rpm underbelly pto (or a hydraulic drive mower) would be fantastic.

The culti-vision offset design and the row crop height was the differentiator back in the day. This might be the most difficult feature to find if it is important to you. This becomes obsolete if the implements are 3-point and behind the tractor.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Just today spoke with a Kuboto dealer about something else, what Outdoors4evr speced $20k with bucket loader and backhoe.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am

My wife brought me an advertisement from a green tractor dealer. A middle range 20-30HP 4x4 tractor with a belly mower, loader, and a backhoe was $27K. I think I'll stick with my old iron that needs a bit of tinkering (for my mental health).

As for whether a cub would be competitive today, I would have to say an entire market has developed around the cub product. Kubota has basically made their name building Compact and Subcompact tractors geared toward homeowners, landscapers, and hobby farmers. It's just too bad that IH isn't around to build great products that people enjoy.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

jsfarmall
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 72454

Postby jsfarmall » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Depending on what parts were updated/upgraded. Because of the emission bs required keeping that type of engine (which makes the cub) would be almost impossible. I think it would be competitive in the garden market but most people running truck patches small gardens, etc. Ain't interested in paying what it would cost. For the utility tractor user I don't believe it would work out too well. But who knows it might.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 pm

inairam wrote:"Do you think in today's nanny state, lawsuit avoidance type of world"

imaging troubleshooting an ignition problem on the Cub with 14 safety switching between you a spark on the plugs

My JD lawn tractor came like that. Now 13 years and about as many repairs later the only "save me from myself" safety cutout that hasn't been bypassed is the one that kills the engine if you get off with the mower deck running.
And I have had to chase down electrical issues. No fun what so ever.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Urbish wrote:I think you got that backwards. Most of ours drip gas and burn oil, and reminds us of grandpa because it smokes and makes funny noises. :{_}:

:applause: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :applause:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Why reinvent the wheel look at the IH 274 tractors they are offset like the cub. have 3 point hitch and some have diesel engines, although not 4 wheel drive. Dave F.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:21 pm

The bluebook price in 1979 shows a cub was $5350
http://www.tractorbluebook.com/Tractor-Blue-Book/Int.-Harvester-Farmall/Cub
Calculated for inflation to 2017, that would be $19,079.19
https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=5,350&year=1979

The only reason we are paying less for a cub now is because of the wear-n-tear and the used market prices.
Can you get a new tractor competitive to a cub tractor today for 19,079.19? (This is without tax or implements)

For this price you can purchase a new Kubota B2301 (B series) 22HP 4WD with a choice of a 60" belly mower deck or a quick attach loader. This seems like it would be competitive to a cub (and it comes with one accessory)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Someone mentioned above that its too bad IH is not currently being around to build "quality" equipment, and I think you're really missing the boat.

Kubota, New Holland/Ford, Mahindra, CaseIH, John Deere, all are building exceptionally good equipment now.

If International Harvester (as the original company) was still around, the products would be no different than what everyone else is building. The economy is totally different now, and NOBODY makes cast iron parts in the US. Everybody casts material out of the US because of economy and environmental controls! Most companies have also switched to cast aluminum because it's lighter, stronger, cheaper, etc. IH would be no different, and if they tried to do it in the US, the price would be too high and they would not be in business. It is unfortunate, but it just the way it is. In the 1930s, 1940s, and even 1950s, you wouldn't hear of a US company having parts or products "imported" but we are a global economy now and there's no way around it.

Also, look at what you get now, because people have demanded it (and because we're a modern society). Foot controlled hydrostatic drive, live hydraulics, quick attach implements, air ride seats, super economical diesel engines, etc. If a Cub was built now, being the state-of-the-art machine that it was in 1947, it would be just like a Kubota, New Holland, Mahindra, etc., because that is what the market wants and that's what a modern machine would look like now.

The last time I mowed 3 acres with a Cub, it took a couple of hours, and nearly a full tank of gasoline, plus afterwards I had to go around with a push mower to get all the stuff I couldn't maneuver the cub close enough to get. My new (10-yr old Simplicity Legacy) subcompact diesel, with a 27-hp Dihatsu engine, 4-wheel drive, and a 60" mower deck will mow 3-acres in 40-minutes, use about a gallon of diesel fuel, and I can mow just as close and tight as a push mower because it will turn in a 24" circle! I have a front end loader that walks itself on/off, a 54" tiller that I can hook up in about 30-seconds because it's standard Cat-1 3-point and 540 RPM PTO, and a back blade, York Rake, box blade, etc., all that can interchange in less than a minute. Yes, that's what a Cub would look like if it was being built now, otherwise, NOBODY would buy it!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:24 pm

IH, International Harvester, is still around. Several manufacturing plants in the US and world wide produce machinery under the IH name.

http://www.cnhindustrial.com/en-us/Pages/homepage.aspx

Above link is for the Case/New Holland company which includes IH as well as other brand names. Also should note that the company changes the paint color of their products and sells them under a different brand name.

Case/Hew Holland is an international company. Parts manufactured in one country are assemble in another country.

OH. I own stock in CNHI, inexpensive and pays a good dividend. The stock value appreciates. Good pay out for the investment.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:04 am

ntrenn wrote:Ive been noodling for a time...if i could just have a few more ponies, live pto, and a little better ground speed coverage i would be very happy. NOT a 154....

I've thought the same thing. Interestingly IH offered a model 234 which is Cub sized but without culti-vision. It does fill the bill as a viable replacement to the 154, 184. It's an 18 HP 3 cylinder diesel, some are 4WD, std 540 PTO, cat 1 3 point... and it's a decent looking tractor. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... hotos.html
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley

The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 pm

ntrenn wrote:Ive been noodling for a time.
Same here. Local tractor dealership is selling LS tractors. Prices are appealing.

http://www.rcotractor.com/ls_tractor_usa.html

Above link is not the local dealership's ad, the prices are the same.
I have an excuse. CRS.