White smoke at exhaust. Fuel or oil additive?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
punchofdeath
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

White smoke at exhaust. Fuel or oil additive?

Postby punchofdeath » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:21 pm

I added 3 of of seafoam to my oil and then in my gas I done a 50/50 mix of Lucas upper cylinder lubricant/injector cleaner and seafoam. Before the additives tractor would blow a little white smoke when it got hot and I could almost perfectly time when it'd happen. It'd only blow smoke for about 10 seconds then it'd stop. Now when it starts blowing smoke it doesn't stop and the more load that is on the engine the more smoke there is. It isn't rolling clouds out of the exhaust but it's there and it's noticeable. I stuck my hand over the exhaust while it was on second gear going up a hill to exert some load on the engine to make it smoke. The smoke didn't make my hand wet, didn't smell like 2 stroke exhaust, and didn't smell sweet either. It just smelt like exhaust. I can still see coolant in the radiator and the oil hasn't gone done any noticeable amount on the dipstick.

Is this just those two additives doing their job or is there some sort of problem?
High School Student | Class of 2018

jsfarmall
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 72454

Re: White smoke at exhaust. Fuel or oil additive?

Postby jsfarmall » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Well.......I'm a firm believer in additives for prevention purposes. But I always felt better to do one at a time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe seafoam in the oil is for short term then change ain't it?

I use lucas fuel additive. I swear by it. I use ethanol fuel and never had a problem one. Only other additive I put with it was some heet once cause I got water in my tank once and I'll put Stabil in the winter.

I had the same smoking problem once and it didn't matter whether it was loaded or not. It just quit one day. Smelled more like fuel though but wasn't black. It was white. Still scratching my head over that one.

punchofdeath

Postby punchofdeath » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

I'll have to read on the can about the Seafoam.

The main reason I'm using these additives is because up until this June the tractor had been sitting for four years and the oil that was in it was blacker than the night sky. So its hard to tell when that was last changed.

I believe I am going to have to also do a tune up soon as since I've put those additives in it's kind of developed a hunting. I don't know if its just me noticing it now since I've added that stuff or if it's that I'm paying a lot more attention now.

Either way intend on leaving that Seafoam in the oil until sometime in October then I'm going to change the oil and I might also adjust the valves from the little cover under the intake/exhaust manifold.

I've got all kinds of stuff I'd like to do to this tractor but I don't really have the experience/skill. I'll learn in time :P

jsfarmall
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 72454

Postby jsfarmall » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:51 am

Well the first thing you should have done is change the oil and ran it a few hours and do it again then leave it for a bit. Additives are good things to use but alot want to use them as a mechanic in a bottle. Nothing compares to a good old fashion take the carb apart and clean it. Sounds to me like it's a bit of a carburetor issue more than internal engine issue.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi,
Oil additives can help free the piston rings, so they seal better, which can reduce the amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. Blue smoke is caused by oil burning.

If you need to clean or rebuild the carburetor, here is a post I made today. It has info about carb rebuilding. It is my 3rd post on the page. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96381&start=60

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

White smoke with no smell suggests water to me. Try putting the motor under some heavy load and get it hot to see what happens. If the smoke disappears you might have a condensation issue.

I tend to avoid oil flush additives in the bottom end in favor of high-detergent oils like 15w-40. The oil will clean up deposits while not compromising lubrication like seafoam might.

Jamesan
Zip Code: 45154
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub

Postby Jamesan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:04 pm

White smoke is typically from coolant. I would be concerned with the head gasket. Maybe do a simple compression check, and as you do, see if one spark plug looks a lot cleaner that the rest,
Additives do a better job of taking money out of your pocket than anything else they may claim to do.

punchofdeath

Postby punchofdeath » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Puffie40 wrote:White smoke with no smell suggests water to me. Try putting the motor under some heavy load and get it hot to see what happens. If the smoke disappears you might have a condensation issue.

I tend to avoid oil flush additives in the bottom end in favor of high-detergent oils like 15w-40. The oil will clean up deposits while not compromising lubrication like seafoam might.

The tractor stays parked in a garage. It never goes outside when it's raining and it's always put up before dew falls. I was plowing yesterday and it wasn't smoking. It can be hot or cold and it comes and goes. The end of the exhaust pipe looks wet/oily and when I put my hand over the exhaust while it's smoking it doesn't get wet like you'd expect steam to make your hand. Not to forget, the coolant is a mix of water and anti-freeze. Not sure of the ratios but it does have a fair amount of anti-freeze in it.

Quick addition: I walked outside and checked and what's in the radiator looks like pure anti-freeze. It is a bright neon green. Oil level doesn't look like its changed any.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 pm

You can't tell the concentration of antifreeze in your coolant by looking at it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39