New here

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
57 Lo-Boy
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New here

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:11 pm

C-60, it is.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
The engines are 60 cubic inches.

Below is the Cub service manual, GSS-1411, it has lots of info. Sections 3 and 4 are gone though.
The one the same number at Quick links above at the top left of the page has all the sections, I think. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... actors.asp

Ozbirn454
Zip Code: 85128

Postby Ozbirn454 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Howdy boys well I'm back. Couple of things need to know. First serviced the engine and my oil filter housing had 3 gaskets on it. I scraped them put the new one on and there was not a copper crush under the bolt. Well I had the oil leak by the head and filter housing. That is fixed now. The bolt is leaking on top with new crush washer. I checked the bolt has a couple of nicks in it from no washer in the past I guess. Tried cleaning it up helped but she still lakes out. Where do I get a new bolt? Maybe a new cap? The other thing is the rotor on mine has a gear on it. The new one form case did not. My uncle said paper work said it was a 154 engine and I'm wondering if he is wrong? I had to reuse the old rotor but the cap and rotor looked like new. She is puffing some bluem, plugs were all oil soaked too. Got the carb running smooth so that's a plus. But she needs some tlc.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm

All Cubs used the C60 engine even the 154 Cub Loboy. There were some modifications over the years but as far as I know that info would only be needed if major engine repairs were needed. Also C60 engines were used in other ag equipment like combines and hay bailers as well as some marine applications. Try forum sponser TM Tractor for the parts you asked about. There's a link to their website at the bottom of this page. Manuals and parts lists are in the Quick Links tab at the top left corner of this page. The rotor with a gear sounds like your tractor has a magneto which is not common for a 54 model but it's possible. Can you post a picture of the distributor area?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:50 am

Hi,
Like Stan said above, the magneto uses a rotor that is gear driven. The Battery Ignition unit does not, the rotor just slips onto the end of a shaft.
Below are pages from Cub owner's manuals showing a magneto and a Battery Ignition unit. You can identify which one it is.
The pages show the points and condenser. The points need to be flat and shiny metal so the engine will start and run good. I would replace the points if they are burned much, or file them flat if not burned much. Clean off all filings with a clean rag. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2030.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2041.jpg

Here is a listing for a new oil filter cover, at TM Tractor.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/563fp.htm

Return to “Farmall Cub”